Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
I'm a 15 year old high school student who wants to be a graphic designer/artist or video editor/producer. The thing is, I get tons of practice with video work, but I would like some with graphic work. nyone have anything for me to do? Preferably not web-design.

Thanks all!

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
I'm a 15 year old high school student who wants to be a graphic designer/artist or video editor/producer. The thing is, I get tons of practice with video work, but I would like some with graphic work. nyone have anything for me to do? Preferably not web-design.

Thanks all!

I absolutely do. Do you have AIM that we could discuss this over?

EDIT: DER! I just saw your AIM icon. Duh!

mbrellisford

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Canada
I go to school for Graphic Design in Canada and one of the most eye opening projects that I have had to do is a project called "101 Thumbnails"....It is really all about how creative you are and well you are with brainstorming....

Take a simple object like an apple, a number, something of that sort....and now draw it 101 times, with each drawing being unique and original...

Graphic Design is not all about being able to produce something of great quality. It all has to do with how creative you can be to show one idea in many different ways for a client to choose from. Most of your time working you will be brainstorming and sketching and not actually designing on the computer at all. In this industry, clients are VERY picky with how they want to be represented and won't pay you until it get it EXACTLY right.

I've worked with clients that told me to redesign something a particular way 5+ times, only to tell me that they liked the 2nd idea and want me to instead change something about that...It's frustrating, but being able to come with with a unique and creative solution is half the battle.

So back to this project, say for example APPLE Inc. came to you and said "I want you to redesign our logo"...How many creative and unique ideas can you come up with, while still using something as simple as an apple.

Hope I helped :)
Take care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.