PDA

View Full Version : Adding a third monitor to G5 2.5 DP?

christophertin
Jun 3, 2007, 04:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Has anyone solved this problem yet? I'd like to add a third monitor to my G5 music workstation (I'm thinking some sort of touch screen, like a Planar 15", or even one of those 9" little car touch-screen displays). In order to accomplish this, however, I need a third video port for my G5.

Seems to me like the way to do that would be to find a PCI-X graphics card. They don't exactly seem to be in abundant supply, though. Anyone know of any?

Chris

JeffDM
Jun 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
Seems to me like the way to do that would be to find a PCI-X graphics card. They don't exactly seem to be in abundant supply, though. Anyone know of any?

I have not heard of any. I thought there were regular PCI video cards that were OS X compatible. One of those should work.

christophertin
Jun 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
I have not heard of any. I thought there were regular PCI video cards that were OS X compatible. One of those should work.

Are G5 2.5 DPs backwards compatible with regular PCI cards?

CanadaRAM
Jun 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI
Look for a Radeon Mac PCI card and you're laughing

PCI-e is the incompatible one.

christophertin
Jun 3, 2007, 12:59 PM
PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI
Look for a Radeon Mac PCI card and you're laughing

PCI-e is the incompatible one.

Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9200-Mac-Edition-128mb-PCI-video-card-NR_W0QQitemZ200115318368QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So if I add this to my system, in addition to the two monitors I'm powering from my AGP 8x card, I'll be able to add on two more monitors for a total of FOUR?

I'll be laughing indeed!

JeffDM
Jun 3, 2007, 02:19 PM
Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Radeon-9200-Mac-Edition-128mb-PCI-video-card-NR_W0QQitemZ200115318368QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So if I add this to my system, in addition to the two monitors I'm powering from my AGP 8x card, I'll be able to add on two more monitors for a total of FOUR?

I'll be laughing indeed!

I think that will work. That chip wasn't even considered high performance when it was released as a 9200, but I think it should be a lot more than enough for your needs.

christophertin
Jun 3, 2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks, everyone!