Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehybrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Wow it has been a long absense. Anyways yall know me, the aspiring digital editor. I have been wondering how exactly the timecode is used and why is was such a big deal when QTPro got timecode in the recent update?

Kevin

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
well, this may vary for others, but i imagine timecode is used in professional environments like i use it - specific reference points for editing. for example, if a client wants to edit their home movies, i create a 'review dvd' which has the timecode stamped right over the footage so as they watch, they pause, make note of the time and related changes on an editing form.. i hop on my computer and make the changes based on the timecode.

i have no idea wrt to the QT part of your question though.

Cheers,
Keebler

AstrayCliche

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Time code is especially important when you're dealing with media captured by more than one source. Like when capturing audio seperate from camera, or when running a multi-camera setup. It helps to sync things up while editing.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Having TC in QT is a great step because now you can create a QT movie w/accurate TC and send that to a someone for viewing as opposed to making a DVD or VHS copy w/TC "burned" into the picture.

TC is to video what page numbers are to books. Editing isn't possible w/out TC (or keycode if you are working w/film).

A common example of how TC is used is in the "offline/online" editing environment. For example, you shoot on high quality HD but you don't have enough storage space to capture all the footage. So you make lower quality dubs that have the same TC and name of the high quality master tapes. You do your edit w/the low quality footage (this is called an "offline") and once you are finished you recapture only the footage you need from the high quality master tapes and do all of your final effects, color correction, etc., (this is called an "online"). Since both versions of your tapes have the same TC recapturing the needed footage is simple because all you do is load the tape the computer is asking for and, because of TC, the machine knows exactly what parts of the tape to capture.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.