Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
As well all know, when we take photos they are all simply numbered on the memory card. Just curious when you import them onto your computer whether you rename them, or do you just tag them with some software app.

If you do rename them, what convention do you use?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
YYYY-MM-DD Name of File 01
YYYY-MM-DD Name of File 02

example:
2007-06-04 Day with Reiko in Sydney 01.NEF
2007-06-04 Day with Reiko in Sydney 02.NEF
2007-06-04 Day with Reiko in Sydney 03.NEF
etc.....

If you put the date in your file name, stating it in terms of YYYY-MM-DD is best because computers automatically sort files chronologically this way without even doing so intentionally.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
YYYY-MM-DD DSC_nnnnn.NEF

I do this for the reason Abstract mentions. Once they're imported I then tag them.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I hate renamed photo's. I do a lot of printing on a fuji frontier wich only prints 8 characters of the filename on the back of the photo. People that won't rename their photo's can easily find the original file on their computer by just looking on the back of a printed photo. Also some make a mess out of it by renaming files after they burnt a backup on CD. All this renaming results in a terrible mess one day or another. My advice : if you really want to rename the file, keep the original filename as the first characters in the name.
Make it something like DSC_1234_wathever_you_find_neccesary_to_add.jpg

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I leave the filename alone, and have it keep continuous image numbers so none have the same name. For sorting, I stick them in Lightroom and use tags and collections.

In addition, I use a date-based filesystem hierarchy, e.g. /LaCie Disk/Photo Library/2007/June/4 for anything I shoot today. I used to do this same format by hand, but now Lightroom sorts the images for me.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't rename them. I figure the date is in the EXIF information, and I try to add a caption, keywords, and a rating as soon as possible - so there's no point.

Oh, and lately I've been adding the city/state/country metadata as well. Seems like a much better way to go.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I don't rename them. I figure the date is in the EXIF information, and I try to add a caption, keywords, and a rating as soon as possible - so there's no point.

Oh, and lately I've been adding the city/state/country metadata as well. Seems like a much better way to go.

Yeah, this is basically my current methodology...

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
What is the easiest way to tag photos for iPhoto? It would be nice if there was some sort of tagging system similar to the one Facebook uses to tag people, and then be able to search people or locations.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
As well all know, when we take photos they are all simply numbered on the memory card. Just curious when you import them onto your computer whether you rename them, or do you just tag them with some software app.

If you do rename them, what convention do you use?

I never rename them. The first thing I do is copy the camera memory to a CD and put that away (and hope to never have need to look at it again). Then I go through the rest of my work flow. If I ever re-named a file I'd never be able to figure out which file was the source of the renamed file abd I'd never be able to find anything in my CD archive.

Ok sometimes I'll export a file to send to some place. But I'll add to the filename like this. Say is was "D56012.NEF" and it was a picture of someones kid. I'd give them "JohnySmith_65012.jpg" But when the file is inside my system it's just whatever the filename was when it was imported.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What is the easiest way to tag photos for iPhoto? It would be nice if there was some sort of tagging system similar to the one Facebook uses to tag people, and then be able to search people or locations.

iPhoto does exactly as you've described.

Here is what I do: Each photo gets tagged by (1) The kind of photo either Underwater, landscape, cityscape, portrait, groupshop, still life or whatever. I have a fixed list of these and (2) The location but I assign the same location to an entire "roll" and will divide the roll it it was shot at multiple locations. (3) By subject

This goes fast because in iPhoto you can select multiple images and assign them all the same keywords. So for example I can select all the images taken in my underwater housing and assign the "underwater" keyword to them. and then select all the ones of rock fish and give then a tag. I select and entire roll and give it two stars and then"promote" the rating as a look at them.

I have edited the keywork list to include what I need to do the above and think carfully before adding more keywords, it has to be in a "system" in order to work.

I use the comments field for stuff that can't be done with my keyword system.

I also wrote down my star rating system. Say three stars is a good but un-artfull snapshot, four is a good photo and 5 is what I'd concider publication quality

Any system will work but you have to think it through and stick to it. It helps to write down your "rules" so that they will remain consistent over the years.

I'm stil using iPhoto because my two G4 Macs don't like to run Aperture well. I'll upgrade when Apple builds something comparable in price and form factor to the old PowerMac (remember the $1,400 tower with upgradeable parts Apple sold in 1999?)

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
This goes fast because in iPhoto you can select multiple images and assign them all the same keywords. So for example I can select all the images taken in my underwater housing and assign the "underwater" keyword to them.

Make it even faster, by using Keyword Assistant. IMO the current iPhoto keyword interface is, in a word, awful -- this really makes it a lot more convenient to use.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
For those of you who don't rename, I have a dilemma for you. What do you do if you have multiple cameras?

For example, I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and a Canon Powershot. Both of these cameras generate file names that are of the form IMG_xxxx.JPG.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Have a look if it is possible to change the prefix in the camera. Then you can change that prefix once. I did so with my Nikon D200 when I reached the 10000 pictures limit to be able to sort my pictures correctly.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Have a look if it is possible to change the prefix in the camera. Then you can change that prefix once. I did so with my Nikon D200 when I reached the 10000 pictures limit to be able to sort my pictures correctly.

That doesn't seem possible with the camera models I have.

I guess I could use an automator action once I import them, to batch change the prefix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.