PDA

View Full Version : printing in OS 10.1.3

Choppaface
Mar 20, 2002, 12:14 AM
well I know this both "can" and "can't" be done...well here goes

I have a tektronix phaser 740 on my LAN. it supports postscript. it used to print in 10.0.4 but now no va.

1) how can I get it to print in OS X? is there some place where you have to select the PPD like the chooser in OS 9?

2) how can I get it to print over TCP/IP in OS 9? I believe somebody told me to use the desktop printer utility (or some other app) but it can't see the printer. I know the printer's IP though, can I connect to it somehow that way? I ask because I *hate* having to switch appletalk connections on my G4 when getting files off my PB via airport to print via appletalk

MacAztec
Mar 20, 2002, 12:37 AM
Go Here: HardDrive>Apps>Utilities>Print Center

Under there, you can do all you printer configurations. I am pretty sure there is a spot for TCP/IP also. Hope I answered your questions!

Choppaface
Mar 20, 2002, 01:17 AM
ah ya

now what about OS9?

IndyGopher
Mar 20, 2002, 01:44 AM
Phaser 740's a pretty cool printer, isn't it?

The one at work was invisible to my Macs as well, because the yokel who set it up had it configured soley for PC's. If you have it working from X, do you have it working via AppleTalk, or just via TCP/IP printing? I believe for it to work in 9, you will have to enable AppleTalk.. hit the menu button on the 740 and scroll around until you find AppleTalk and make sure it is enabled.
From that point, you should be able to see it in the chooser.. it will work even without the PPD file, if you just use the Laser8 driver. Of course, the proper PPD file is preferable (and available from Xerox's website)

Choppaface
Mar 20, 2002, 09:33 PM
ya it will print via appletalk in OS 9 but i was trying to get it to do it over TCP/IP

thanks I got it set up in X, damn it prints a lot faster than it does in 9. must be because appletalk is slower or something

ya its a great printer, but I'm getting *bad* toner flaking in color prints. I just threw a (badly needed) new fuser in (it used to take forever to start it because each time it couldnt find its fuser so I had to open the thing up...). I went on xerox's site and didn't have enough time to go through all the help pages but I couldnt find a good explaination. it's had about 6,000 pages through it, and the fuser and toner carts are the only things ever changed. do I need a new charge grid or something? I've looked at the rollers and theyre ok. luv the duplex unit :D :D