PDA

View Full Version : Hidden iTunes info raises privacy fears

MacBytes
Jun 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Hidden iTunes info raises privacy fears (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070604174420)
Description:: Privacy fears were sparked after it emerged that Apple embedded personal details into music files bought from its iTunes music store.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

bdj21ya
Jun 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
Ha! This is hilarious. "Hidden" info? Privacy concerns? Please. I appreciate having the tags properly included in the files I purchase.

patioman
Jun 4, 2007, 05:38 PM
"The Electronic Freedom Foundation, the online consumer rights group, said it was possible that the data could be used to "watermark" tracks so that the original purchaser could be tracked down if a track appeared on a file-sharing network, the newspaper said."

Good, because that is ILLEGAL.

freiheit
Jun 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
"The Electronic Freedom Foundation, the online consumer rights group, said it was possible that the data could be used to "watermark" tracks so that the original purchaser could be tracked down if a track appeared on a file-sharing network, the newspaper said."

Good, because that is ILLEGAL.

I wholeheartedly agree. If you don't illegally share the files you've downloaded from iTunes then there is precisely zero security/privacy risk. If you do illegally share them, then you deserve what you get because you broke the law.

Jun 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
What happens is you lose you purchased music? Do this hidden info help?

Can you recover them from the iTunes Store?

flopticalcube
Jun 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
This has been thoroughly discussed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/01/apple-using-steganography-in-itunes-plus-songs/) on MR and the result is that no watermarking or steganography is going on.

synth3tik
Jun 4, 2007, 08:08 PM
the extra space was 700 bytes, does anyone realize how small that is, and how little information can go on 700 bytes?

CanadaRAM
Jun 4, 2007, 08:20 PM
the extra space was 700 bytes, does anyone realize how small that is, and how little information can go on 700 bytes?

Yeah, not much, only your name, address, birthdate, SSnumber, mother's maiden name, employment history, vehicle license and credit rating. Not much.

Do YOU have any idea how much information can go in 700 bytes? That is approx 1/3 of a page of unformatted text.

clevin
Jun 4, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ha! This is hilarious. "Hidden" info? Privacy concerns? Please. I appreciate having the tags properly included in the files I purchase.
somebody appreciate privacy more than others, there is no problem with that
700byte is very small for a video file, but big enough to contain all your important personal information.

SheriffParker
Jun 4, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, not much, only your name, address, birthdate, SSnumber, mother's maiden name, employment history, vehicle license and credit rating. Not much.

Do YOU have any idea how much information can go in 700 bytes? That is approx 1/3 of a page of unformatted text.

But Apple doesn't really know my employment history, do they? Now I'm nervous....

synth3tik
Jun 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
OK, if you believe you can encrypt the data and only use 700 bytes so me. Remember that its "hidden" because Apple really works for the government as they are tracking your every move.

It's called Paranoid delusions. They have medicine and shock therapy for that.

SPUY767
Jun 5, 2007, 07:49 AM
B. . . F. . . D. . .

How does being included in the Meta Data, and being mentioned in the EULA of iTunes constitute Hidden?

SPUY767
Jun 5, 2007, 08:13 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. If you don't illegally share the files you've downloaded from iTunes then there is precisely zero security/privacy risk. If you do illegally share them, then you deserve what you get because you broke the law.

Well, I think the whole thing boils down to. . . People who wanted to hate Apple before, were able to through DRM, Even though Apple was the most consumer friendly music store. Now, Apple is doing EVEN MORE for the consumer, people have to find something else to bitch at Apple about. It's never enough with some of these *******s. You give, they take, then they take some more, next think you know, there's change missing from the dresser and your daughter's knocked up.

patioman
Jun 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I think the whole thing boils down to. . . People who wanted to hate Apple before, were able to through DRM, Even though Apple was the most consumer friendly music store. Now, Apple is doing EVEN MORE for the consumer, people have to find something else to bitch at Apple about. It's never enough with some of these *******s. You give, they take, then they take some more, next think you know, there's change missing from the dresser and your daughter's knocked up.

Exactly. For some reason, there's a certain segment of the population that's hard-wired to hate Apple, and no matter what Apple does this hate will continue. Seriously guys. Really.