PDA

View Full Version : wifi/PS3/powerbook/wep password issues :*(

mizzi
Jun 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
i just broke down and got a PS3, however it's asking me to enter in my WEP password. i use a G4 Powerbook and Apple Airport. i know the WEP password is some crazy hexadecimal enormous password and not close to the wireless password i chose to set up my network.

where on my powerbook do i go to find that crazy password so that i may enter it into my PS3 and start rocking a wifi connection through it?

i'm using cable internet if that makes any difference...just trying to think of any bit of info that may be of help.

thanks in advance! :D

Marky_Mark
Jun 4, 2007, 06:25 PM
Use the WEP password you set up, it should work. Quite often, when you see the password in settings dialogues, it shows as a long hex, dunno why, I just noticed it did one day. Especially in Windows dialogue boxes. :confused:

I'm sure someone only moderately more technical than me will be able to tell you why it happens (aside from the obvious secrecy thing), should you be interested...

LimeiBook86
Jun 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
I think the OP stated that he knows how to enter the WEP key, but he does not know the WEP key itself.

Here's how to find/change your WEP key. Log into your AirPort Base Station using the "AirPort Admin Utility" in the Utilities folder under Applications. Using that program you should be able to change your settings on your AirPort including security & WEP settings.

If you can not get your password from there (if it's not easily listed), change it. Reset the AirPort Base Station so it's back to it's factory default settings - check the manual for this or head to Apple's AirPort Support Page. (http://www.apple.com/support/airport/) Doing this will erase all custom settings. Now assign a new WEP password, it should let you generate one.

After it does, write it down! Then you can enter it into your PowerBook and PS3. You will have to re-enter the code into all of your wireless devices since the old code will no longer work. Just keep in mind the WEP bit configuration, for example 128-bit, some devices require you to specify that.

mizzi
Jun 5, 2007, 11:53 AM
I think the OP stated that he knows how to enter the WEP key, but he does not know the WEP key itself.

Here's how to find/change your WEP key. Log into your AirPort Base Station using the "AirPort Admin Utility" in the Utilities folder under Applications. Using that program you should be able to change your settings on your AirPort including security & WEP settings.

If you can not get your password from there (if it's not easily listed), change it. Reset the AirPort Base Station so it's back to it's factory default settings - check the manual for this or head to Apple's AirPort Support Page. (http://www.apple.com/support/airport/) Doing this will erase all custom settings. Now assign a new WEP password, it should let you generate one.

After it does, write it down! Then you can enter it into your PowerBook and PS3. You will have to re-enter the code into all of your wireless devices since the old code will no longer work. Just keep in mind the WEP bit configuration, for example 128-bit, some devices require you to specify that.

very cool, thank you! i'll give it a shot as soon as i get home from work today. thank you very much for the info.