PDA

View Full Version : VPC right for me?

massie
Jul 1, 2003, 04:23 AM
i have bought a version of VPC 6 with win XP Pro, however sombody said it runs painfully slow...

does running it with 98 help.

i know that i should forget the past and use OSX, but i still need a PC for aspects of my work.

can anybody give me some advice?

patrick0brien
Jul 1, 2003, 11:24 AM
-massie

'Painfully Slow' a relative term of course, but is correct in the fact that you will always get faster performance from native hardware.

That being said, I thin going to '98 is a good idea. Not as much Eye Candy to emulate. You probably won't feel much speed issues if you are using Excel, or Word, though those are available in OS X BTW.

But if you wish games - not a good idea. That truly is painful, and not what VPC was designed for.

Personally, I only find the need to use a PC for a few Apps like Summation, Carpe Diem, TrialMax (Legal apps), and MS Project (though FastTrack 8 is OS X native)

What softwares do you need VPC to run?

Nermal
Jul 1, 2003, 11:45 PM
I've tried VPC 6 in OS 9, running 98SE, 2000, and XP. 98's the fastest of the lot, 2000 comes in second, and XP is ridiculously slow. If you've got a choice between running VPC in 9 or X, run it in 9, it'll perform much better.

massie
Jul 3, 2003, 05:59 AM
the program i wish to run is MS access for my dynamic web sites..

HOWEVER,, can anybody help me on using mySQL as this would be great for me too!

patrick0brien
Jul 3, 2003, 07:44 AM
-massie

Using VPC for Access is one of the good ideas.

However, MYsql is even better. My advice would be to buy a book, get caught up on the particulars, then get it. Also OS X has a great MYsql GUI-fied admin utility called YOURsql.

Open source baby!

vollspacken
Jul 11, 2003, 06:04 AM
I run VPC6 with XP pro on my tiBook and the performance is o.k. (and it's super stable too)... it runs fine if you turn off all eye candy and delete and deinstall all the stuff you don't need.

the GUI will look like Win98 then...

here's a link to an older thread: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=26062)

and here's another one: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=30603&highlight=windows+pro)

vSpacken

gerror
Jul 16, 2003, 06:52 AM
My experience is Xp isn't that slow compared with 98. You just need a lot memory. I have a 700 flatpanel with 768 mb memory. I only run Kazaa and iMesh. (for educational reasons of course ;) )