PDA

View Full Version : purchased songs on new MBP

kgiglio2
Jun 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
so I'm planning on buying a new MBP tomorrow, and I am going to transfer my songs to an external hardrive first. If I want to take them from the hard drive and put them on my new computer, will they still have the album art and info that they had when I first purchased them on this iBook????

mrkramer
Jun 4, 2007, 08:30 PM
yes they will still have it.

RaMaz
Jun 4, 2007, 08:38 PM
iPodR.I.P. google it

Anonymous Freak
Jun 4, 2007, 09:59 PM
so I'm planning on buying a new MBP tomorrow, and I am going to transfer my songs to an external hardrive first. If I want to take them from the hard drive and put them on my new computer, will they still have the album art and info that they had when I first purchased them on this iBook????

Two easy ways to do it:

1. Move your entire "iTunes" folder over to the MacBook Pro. This works wether the folder is on the iBook's internal drive or the external drive.

2. If your iTunes library is currently on the internal drive on the iBook, use the Migration Assistant (you will be prompted to run it during first boot of the new computer,) to move all of your files from the iBook to the MacBook Pro via FireWire. (You will put the iBook into "Target Disk Mode", and the assistant will handle copying everything, including your music.)

Either way, the first time you try to play a purchased track on the MacBook Pro, it will ask you for your iTunes Store login and password to authorize the MacBook Pro.

One thing to be sure of is if you are going to get rid of the iBook, be sure to "Deauthorize" it first. To do so, open iTunes, go to the "Store" menu, and choose "Deauthorize Computer..." This is because Apple only allows purchased (DRMed) music to be playable on 5 computers, so you want to make sure to remove old computers so you don't end up with one of your authorizations "in use" by a computer you don't use.

Kermit the frog
Jun 4, 2007, 10:07 PM
Two easy ways to do it:

1. Move your entire "iTunes" folder over to the MacBook Pro. This works wether the folder is on the iBook's internal drive or the external drive.

2. If your iTunes library is currently on the internal drive on the iBook, use the Migration Assistant (you will be prompted to run it during first boot of the new computer,) to move all of your files from the iBook to the MacBook Pro via FireWire. (You will put the iBook into "Target Disk Mode", and the assistant will handle copying everything, including your music.)

Either way, the first time you try to play a purchased track on the MacBook Pro, it will ask you for your iTunes Store login and password to authorize the MacBook Pro.

One thing to be sure of is if you are going to get rid of the iBook, be sure to "Deauthorize" it first. To do so, open iTunes, go to the "Store" menu, and choose "Deauthorize Computer..." This is because Apple only allows purchased (DRMed) music to be playable on 5 computers, so you want to make sure to remove old computers so you don't end up with one of your authorizations "in use" by a computer you don't use.

Thanks~~~~!!!

samh004
Jun 4, 2007, 10:31 PM

Going off topic slightly, this little de-authorization thing upset me because when my PowerBook died, I couldn't boot back into it, so couldn't de-authorize it... it's a real pain.

You should be able to do this from the account area of the iTunes store.

mrkramer
Jun 4, 2007, 10:39 PM
Going off topic slightly, this little de-authorization thing upset me because when my PowerBook died, I couldn't boot back into it, so couldn't de-authorize it... it's a real pain.

You should be able to do this from the account area of the iTunes store.
When you have used up all of you authorizations, I think that you can deauthorize all computers, and redo the ones that you have.