PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I upgrade everything?

Nermal
Jun 5, 2007, 12:26 AM
I have several songs, from various EMI artists, which I bought in the old DRM format. I can browse iTMS and see the new Plus versions, but when I use the upgrade feature, it says that I'm not eligible for any upgrades.

I've successfully upgraded some songs, but others are simply not appearing as valid upgrades. It's as if the system doesn't realise that they're the same album.

Is anyone having any similar problems?

iMeowbot
Jun 5, 2007, 12:45 AM
A few possibilities.

1. The store is still a little messed up from the upgrade, it may take a note to Apple to get busted track relationships fixed.

2. Are any of the troublesome tracks left over from the days when you had to buy through .au? The .nz store may not have any record that you bought them.

3. Are these really, truly EMI tracks in your market? Distribution rights can vary wildly from country to country.

4. Are any of the tracks from older albums? Sometimes albums are pulled by the original label, then reissued by another. This can also happen when indy releases get transferred to majors, etc.

Nermal
Jun 5, 2007, 12:52 AM
1. This is the main reason I was asking; to see whether things were broken at Apple's end.

2. Yes, they're from .au but it's the same account, and they show up in my purchase history.

3. If I search for the albums, they show up as iTunes Plus.

4. I don't think that this is happening but it's possible.

I guess I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Thanks for replying :)

mrkramer
Jun 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
You will just have to wait and hope that they will fix the problems quickly.

smurfjammer
Jun 5, 2007, 03:11 AM
The songs that I bought through iTunes.au have updated OK, the only problems I had was error messages but that was caused by overloaded servers.
What songs are you having problems with and I'll check on my iTunes library.

Nermal
Jun 29, 2007, 05:47 PM
I guess I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Thanks for replying :)

OK, I followed this up today. It turns out that songs obtained for free (gift certificates etc) are not eligible for upgrades. So there's technically nothing wrong, I'm just a cheapskate :p