PDA

View Full Version : iBook as a Firewire Harddrive?

MacBoyX
Jul 1, 2003, 11:35 AM
I know this is going to sound strange but...

My sister bought an iBook and then dropped it. broke the CD tray, shorted the Ethernet port, and ruined the monitor. She paid 1299 for the iBook, apple wants 1100 to fix it.

Needless to say she learned a lesson and bought a new one.

I have the old one...I dunno what to do with it. It's too expensive to get fixed. I was thinking of gutting it and using the HD in an external FW HD enclosure, but was wondering what people thought about using the actual unit in FW Drive mode?

Does anyone know if I could close the lid while it's running in FW Disk Mode or will it go to sleep? Also if I did the little plug/unplug a USB device, could using it in FW Disk Mode cause enuff heat to damage it? Not that it's not already damaged lol.

Ok it does NOT go to sleep on me when I close the lid in FW Disk mode...does anyone think that the darn thing woul d over heat or anything?

OR...is anyone interested in this thing? It's i think an 800Mhz ibook, case is in good shape some scratches from where she dropped it but no cracks or anything. 128MB of on board ram.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

MacBoyX

MacBoyX
Jul 1, 2003, 12:14 PM
Never mind. Her FW port is bad too! LOL.

Gonna just get the enclosure.

Thanks.

MacBoyX

Pete_Hoover
Jul 1, 2003, 12:23 PM
That must've been a pretty hard fall. Did she like chuck it, then stomp on it or something? I've heard iBooks can usually take a fall fairly well.

MacBoyX
Jul 1, 2003, 12:38 PM
She was walking across a hardwood floor in socks and was holding it in it's open position...She sliped and if went out of her hands, and the CD Door popped open and it slid into a table leg.

CD door broke off, monitor only comes on at 45 degrees or less.
Case is mildly scratched on top and bottom.

Other than that it seems to be okay. It impressed me!

MacBoyX

Heltik
Jul 1, 2003, 06:23 PM
I'm just thinking, if she bought it with a credit card, is there some chance it might have been insured through the card policy?

ibookin'
Jul 1, 2003, 07:39 PM
Ouch. I personally know that iBooks can take a beating. Mine fell off a desk onto a concrete floor and worked afterwards. The only problem was with the DVD drive, which would not pop open and had to be pulled open.

Also, I see in your sig that you have a 700MHz G3 iBook with 512MB RAM. I didn't know this was possible. I thought the configurations were 128, 256, 384, and 640. How did you do this? Was it a cheap solution?

applemacdude
Jul 1, 2003, 07:45 PM
How much for the broken ibook?