PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 - High pitch

Jimmieboy
Jun 5, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone. Just since the beginning of this week, my iMac G5 (Rev. B) has been emitting a high pitch sound. It seems to be coming from the lower right hand side of the computer. Anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on what to do? It better not be a sign of a logic board failure! I can't afford to have it replace and I'm not covered by apple care. I did do an extended hardware test and all came back A-Okay if that helps.

Thanks for helping me, in advance!:)

mad jew
Jun 6, 2007, 04:14 AM
Okay, well mute the speakers and see if it comes back. Also, back everything up even though data loss probably will not ensue.

Jimmieboy
Jun 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
Okay, well mute the speakers and see if it comes back. Also, back everything up even though data loss probably will not ensue.

Yeah. I've tried that. The sounds starts as soon as there is power to my computer. Therefore I'm thinking a hardware problem. I guess I'll just live with it...

mad jew
Jun 6, 2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I kinda guessed it'd be hardware related but wanted to rule out the software first. Anyway, what changes did you make to your setup prior to this? From memory (and it's been a while), the CPU is in the bottom right corner. CPUs are known to whine after a while, but keep everything well backed up just in case. Hopefully it's just dust or something. :)

Queso
Jun 6, 2007, 06:56 AM
It could be the transformer in the power supply. Lots of computer equipment gets this. I would replace it as it can be a sign of imminent failure.

ReanimationLP
Jun 6, 2007, 08:06 AM
Sounds like the Power Supply.

I think they have a Repair program that fixes that problem for free.

I'd call Apple personally.

Jimmieboy
Jun 6, 2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I kinda guessed it'd be hardware related but wanted to rule out the software first. Anyway, what changes did you make to your setup prior to this? From memory (and it's been a while), the CPU is in the bottom right corner. CPUs are known to whine after a while, but keep everything well backed up just in case. Hopefully it's just dust or something. :)

mm. No hardware changes at all. I think I'll dismiss it for now and then if it breaks I'll pay to get it fixed. This baby is coming up two years old. I need it to last at least another year.

mad jew
Jun 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
Just keep everything backed up mate. dynamicv and ReanimationLP could well be right about the power supply. If it is failing, then there's probably not much harm in waiting 'til it actually dies before replacing it, other than the fact you might have a few days of downtime waiting for the repair. There's certainly no point in replacing it now, before finding out if it's the source of the noise. :)

dcv
Jun 7, 2007, 03:38 AM
Sounds like the Power Supply.

I think they have a Repair program that fixes that problem for free.

Sorry, not for the 17" Rev B; only the 20" Rev B are covered by the power supply repair extension programme.