PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4 Wii

Dagless
Jun 6, 2007, 07:18 AM
I've put down my first proper preorder on this game. I never got around to playing the Cube version so it's all new to me! I'm a bit excited as I hear it's rather a brilliant game.

For us brits - It's only £22.99 from Shopto.com!

Was anyone else living in a cave and just didn't get the first version?

BoyBach
Jun 6, 2007, 07:32 AM
I never got around to playing the Cube version so it's all new to me!

And you call yourself a gamer...Pfft!

( ;) )

Although I didn't finish it (made it to the second disc) it was a very good game.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2007, 07:38 AM
Disgraceful aint it! I love Resident Evil games too. I did kick myself a little just before the Wii version was announced :o

sikkinixx
Jun 6, 2007, 08:53 AM
another cube game with a wiimote control scheme, who'da thunk it?

But Res 4 was a pretty good game. Kind of a bastardization of the previous ones though. My big problem with it was that it wasn't quite an action game but wasn't quite a Resident Evil. It was kinda stuck in the middle since the controls and combat was a little clunky to be a good action game but there was too much killing and ammo and no puzzles to make it classic Res game. Plus the voice acting was just.....*shudder*

Aiming with the Wii will no doubt be easier than aiming with the stick c-stick on the cube. and hopefully some extra goodies find their way onto it.

ReanimationLP
Jun 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm playing it on my PC.

Pretty fun game.

Dunepilot
Jun 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
One of my favourite cube games. I played it all the way through to the finish, then spent ages unlocking the extra characters for the kill-as-many-zombies/villagers-as-you-can-without-dying-during-the-timelimit mini-game at the end.

I don't think I'd pay to play it again though, unlike, for instance the much-improved Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid.

pcypert
Jun 6, 2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah,
There are way too many copies of the Cube version around town here for less than 10 bucks US (5 quid right?). If it's the same game without waggle that's good enough for me. For me the waggle is cool, but even in games that it works really well in doesn't work all the time and frustrates me from time to time. Plus GameStop has a buy two get one free on their used stuff. Could get Zero, Four and another game for way less than the Wii version. I'm really starting to get peeved with this repackaging stuff...they have Cubes for as low as 35 bucks here and all I seem to be playing on my Wii (even the awesome but frustrating Zelda) is Cube stuff...wonder why I paid so much extra :)

Paul

Dagless
Jun 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
Voice acting? Uh oh. Flashbacks of PS1's Resident Evil :eek:

Pcypert - I wish we had it that good here :( Froogle (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Resident+Evil+4+Gamecube&btnG=Search+Products&scoring=p&sa=N&lnk=next&start=10) brings bad luck for us Brits. 2nd hand it's in the £19.99 section of Gamestation. £3 more for the Wii doesn't sound so bad here. Damn UK prices. Chances are I wouldn't get the Wii version if I had the Cube one.

Sky Blue
Jun 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
Plus the voice acting was just.....*shudder*

MMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2007, 10:52 AM
So have they added proper widescreen (anamorphic) support in the wii version this time. The cube wasn't anamorphic, and yet the PS2 version was. :rolleyes:

Getting really tired of all these cube/ps2 ports though (regardless if the source material was good or bad). At least that wiki game looks good from capcom, and somthing at least 'original' on the wii.

As for Umberella chronicles :rolleyes: house of the dead 4 more like. Give me a break......

Dagless
Jun 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
Boo for Umberella Chronicles. Unless we get a proper lightgun case, in which case I could do with a good rail shooter :D unless theres Point Blank Wii game in the making?

Mavimao
Jun 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
So have they added proper widescreen (anamorphic) support in the wii version this time. The cube wasn't anamorphic, and yet the PS2 version was. :rolleyes:

The Wii version will be anamorphic and will have all the bonus features of the PS2 version. If you've already played the game, I guess there's no use in getting a copy, but if you're like me and Jimmi, 30 bucks is a pretty good deal.

pcypert
Jun 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
Get your Wii modded so you can play US games and I'll buy up a mountain of quality stuff for you for real cheap...or sell your UK wii and get a US one. Still don't understand why SSB's for the Cube is 23 or so used and you can get a new one for less than 30...only stupid one left. Otherwise most games are so dang cheap. I picked up Fifa 2005 (i know 2005) for 3.99 and got a 10% discount with my card :D I thought what's the point?

Original XBox games are even better. There's one store with every game and nothing is over 7.99...that's some quality gaming for the patient gamer who stays a cycle behind the times...

Paul

JackAxe
Jun 7, 2007, 02:46 AM
Finally, I can play this game. It was worth the wait and if not for the Wii, I would invest in the PC version.

I read in my Nintendo Power that even though they use the Wiimote to aim, it doesn't move the camera like a normal FPS game. Not sure why they took this approach, but never the less, at least I won't have to suffer the slow-frustration of aiming with a stick.

When I get it, I'll put it on the shelf like the rest of my games right now, sicne I'm busy with the game of life. :o

<]=)

Dunepilot
Jun 7, 2007, 04:55 AM
Unless we get a proper lightgun case

I was thinking yesterday how much I want them to bring out a lightgun case for the Wiimote. I'm sure I saw a prototype on a games site a few months back. They could build in things like a better/bigger speaker, a screen etc. Presumably it'd be easy enough to tap into the Wiimote functionality using that port on the bottom that you use for your nunchuck or CC.

edit here it is: http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707077p1.html

greatdevourer
Jun 7, 2007, 11:53 AM
I'm playing it on my PC.

Pretty fun game. :eek: How?! I tried it, but the lack of proper controls was just horrendous

pcypert
Jun 15, 2007, 12:09 AM
Well,
Just traded in my Zelda at Gamestop after beating it. Don't want to play that again any time soon...they didn't have any trade ins worth anything, but then I was looking at the release list and saw that Resident Evil was releasing at 29.99. So I took the money from Zelda and WiiPlay trade in and prebought Resident Evil...a first for me.

They listed it as having OLC or Online Content. What exactly does that mean? It was cool too because they gave me the printout list for easy reference on games. Long wait till my bday (a few months only) but there's a nice bday gift for me: Fifa 2008!

Paul

JackAxe
Jun 17, 2007, 04:40 AM
I'll ask my friend if his store uses the term OLC. Maybe they're pulling a XBL thing, where as you can download new maps. I would take advantage of this only if it were free, or I was really bored with having extra money for coffee.

Some of my favorite games were unplayable more than once a year or 2. Tis why I have yet to beat Zelda. I'm still savoring it, even though I haven't played it for well over a month now. :o

Anyway, only a few more days and I'll finally start playing RE4. :)

<]=)

Dagless
Jun 17, 2007, 05:53 AM
ooo it's out here on Friday! +next day delivery too :D I'm actually rather excited now. It feels like I'm going to get another big adventure romp akin to Zelda. Something to absorb ungodly hours into.

rockthecasbah
Jun 17, 2007, 08:01 AM
My right arm has a cast on it but I plan on at least renting it when my arm gets freed (very late summer :mad:). It looks quite fun and the price is great but i have never been a Resident Evil fan but i am willing to try again :)

I thought about preordering and holding onto it because I was trading stuff in and preordering a game gets you an extra 10% credit but I wasn't sure i'd like so i went with Dewey's Adventure, that game looks sweet ;)

JackAxe
Jun 23, 2007, 01:09 AM
I got me copy today!!! :)

I traded Mario Party 5 for 18.70, Geist, and a DVD. Resdident Wiivel only only cost me $2.60 in cash, so I'm quite happy.

<]=)

Shotgun OS
Jun 23, 2007, 02:22 AM
This is one of the best games ever made. Ever. The controls and graphics are perfect. I've played it for about 5 hours constantly today, and 4 hours constantly yesterday. I was really into it. I really like the way the knife works with the remote. This is a must have for Wii owners.

JackAxe
Jun 23, 2007, 03:13 AM
FREAKING AWESOME!!! :D

I really enjoyed the demo on my cube. The Wii version is way way way better! I was able to aim and shoot my targets in the head quickly and precisely, without struggling. This ROCKS!!! :D This was sooooo worth the wait!

This game needed a Wiimote. Even reloading is better now. :)

<]=)

MacRumorUser
Jun 23, 2007, 03:22 AM
FREAKING AWESOME!!! :D

I really enjoyed the demo on my cube. The Wii version is way way way better! I was able to aim and shoot my targets in the head quickly and precisely, without struggling. This ROCKS!!! :D This was sooooo worth the wait!

This game needed a Wiimote. Even reloading is better now. :)

<]=)

Well I'm not sure I'll buy it again, but better aiming would be nice. Aiming especially the important brain shots was a pain on the cube.

takao
Jun 23, 2007, 04:12 AM
i wonder if my brother already got it.. he said he is going to buy it ..i can't wait to try the wii version
personally i only rented the cube version from a friend for trying it out... (just like i did with killer 7, wind waker and metroid prime ... games i always wanted to buy but missed out because of money and then weren't really available for cheap)

i wonder why there are exactly zero used game stores around here... unless you strike lucky in a bargain bin or get _heavily_ used copies from a rental store you are out of luck
no trading in either...

michaelltd
Jun 23, 2007, 04:22 AM
I definitely love the fact too that I can have Leon pull out his knife and swing with a simple flick of the Wii Remote. Even better that this invokes some auto aim. It makes it so much better and quicker for when you want to break open barrels and boxes as well as knife a fallen foe.

JackAxe
Jun 23, 2007, 05:00 AM
Well I'm not sure I'll buy it again, but better aiming would be nice. Aiming especially the important brain shots was a pain on the cube.

Is it possible to always make their heeds explode, or am I a poor shot? :o

My friend has been on my case since the Cube release to buy it. He's the reason I have the demo. He's played it on the Cube, PS2, and now he's on his Wii fix. He's just a RE4 junkie I guess.

<]=)

MacRumorUser
Jun 23, 2007, 08:45 AM
Is it possible to always make their heeds explode, or am I a poor shot? :o

I assumed it was, and that it was just my crap aiming on the cube controller at blame. If it's still as fidly on the wii-mote then maybe it's a bit of random pot luck.

zap2
Jun 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
I assumed it was, and that it was just my crap aiming on the cube controller at blame.

Was aim any better on the PS2? I really didn't think the NGC aiming was bad...hitting some of the blue pendents was hard, but that was part of the game, no?

JackAxe
Jun 23, 2007, 06:30 PM
I checked with my friend and he said the heed-exploding was random. He also mentioned that depending on how far the T virus has muted the person will determine if they dissolves or not.

Hitting the blue pendants is easy with the Wiimote. :o Well at least with my setup, since my office IB TV is only 19" and I'm not that far from it, so the Wiimote's tracking feels right and tight.

On the Cube when I got gang banged, I would panic and shoot everything but the target(s) the first time around, or waste precious time trying to aim my pointer. This almost always gave the zombie(s) enough time hack me. Now I move my wrist up and shoot where I want as fast as I can think about it. I shot an axe out of the air last night when I saw it. :)

<]=)

zero2dash
Jun 23, 2007, 06:43 PM
I checked with my friend and he said the heed-exploding was random.

Head shots that explode the head are somewhat random but there are percentages. (Different weapons are more likely to cause them.)

The exclusive upgrade for the Handgun makes it 5x more likely to explode heads when there's a head shot, but generally the Handgun is not worth using by the time you get far enough to have enough pesetas to pay for the full upgrading + exclusive.

Best weapons in the game IMO -
Blacktail (pistol)
Striker (shotgun)
Semi-Auto Rifle (long range)

A lot of people debate Blacktail vs Red9 on Gamefaqs; Red9 is slightly more powerful, but the Blacktail has a larger ammo clip as well as fires and reloads faster.

Once you full upgrade the Striker (and it holds 100 shells inside of it), it's better than the Riot Gun.

Semi-Auto Rifle fires and reloads faster than the BAR (Battle Action Rifle).

One more thing...if you didn't know already. Be sure to shoot *all* the blue medallions. Instead of merely getting a free Punisher, you'll get a Punisher already upgraded 1x in firepower as well.

Dagless
Jun 23, 2007, 07:34 PM
Hows about whiting out spoilers for people who haven't played it yet?

pcypert
Jun 24, 2007, 01:45 AM
I'm really liking it so far. I didn't play it through before and haven't played Res since II...pretty intense gameplay so far. I was joking that the motions in the cutscenes was cool and annoying as there's now no down time :D

Paul

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2007, 04:37 AM
Hows about whiting out spoilers for people who haven't played it yet?

Or ye could just not read the thread ;) Seriously the game is what 3/4 years old at this stage. I think with the amount information that has seeped out of reviews / previews / magazine articles and internet sites in the last number of years makes your point totally mute.

Fine if we are talking about a new release that has not landed in your teritory, but come on.. Where do you draw the line ?

This maybe new to you, but heck - I haven't seen Apocalypse Now, but I know what happens in it and what it's all about. Do you think I stood outside every source of information about it in the last 10-20 years saying.... "DONT TELL ME - YOUR SPOILING IT"....

If you really anticipate this game and don't want it spoiled - then don't read these threads, or heaven forbid look on the internet. Surely it's just common sense :rolleyes:

takao
Jun 24, 2007, 05:08 AM
Or ye could just not read the thread ;) Seriously the game is what 3/4 years old at this stage.

nitpicking: it's 2 years

and yeah it left the spoiler zone by far already

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2007, 05:21 AM
nitpicking: it's 2 years

and yeah it left the spoiler zone by far already

Seriously only 2 ? God it seems ages old at this stage :p :D I'm getting too old.

Dagless
Jun 24, 2007, 05:53 AM
So you don't respect the fact I posted a thread about RE4Wii saying "I haven't played it yet"? It's simply common courtesy.

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2007, 06:37 AM
So you don't respect the fact I posted a thread about RE4Wii saying "I haven't played it yet"? It's simply common courtesy.

Sorry I forgot you started the thread. :p DOH! Well I never made any spoilers anyway ;)

Still at least no one posted the details of the final end sequence which are

Fooled you. You thought I posted it didn't you ? That'll teach you for thinking the worse.
Fooled you. You thought I posted it didn't you ? That'll teach you for thinking the worse.

:p :)

takao
Jun 24, 2007, 08:29 AM
Seriously only 2 ? God it seems ages old at this stage :p :D I'm getting too old.

nothing like remembering being a regular on Perfect Dark _rumor_ sites ;)

i don't look at resident evil as a rather old title i think there are plenty of games from 2005 which haven't aged so well
that said the 360 launched in 2005 ;) (only 3,5 years between xbox and 360 launch in europe.. i hope we get better lifetimes this time or we are already halfway through ;) )

JackAxe
Jun 24, 2007, 03:38 PM
I got reamed in the Zelda thread for stating their was a ball & chain weapon. :)

I've only played with the handgun and knife so far, so I haven't got to the fancy weapons. Because I'm finishing a demo and getting ready to move before end of week, I probably won't be able to play again until after we get into the new place, so I'm bummed.

The cut-scene was fun, I got crushed the first time. :)

<]=)

AppleGuy08
Jun 24, 2007, 06:51 PM
I just picked up the last copy my local gamestop had about an hour ago. Im only about half an hour into the game (got the shotgun and plenty of ammo) and so far i really love it. After just beating Zelda Twilight Princess last night, im still getting confused by all of the controls. Everytime i want to pull out the knife i swing my wiimote like a madman because thats how you have to swing the sword on Zelda! Anyway, Im enjoying playin it.

onebloodonelife
Jun 24, 2007, 07:02 PM
There's two ways to use the knife in RE4...either hold down C and swing the Wiimote, or just swinging the Wiimote works too.

I'm really liking it so far as well. I never had a Gamecube or PS2, so I haven't played any RE games since the PSone versions.

twistedlegato
Jun 24, 2007, 09:05 PM
Everytime i want to pull out the knife i swing my wiimote like a madman because thats how you have to swing the sword on Zelda!

:D :D

That's nothing compared to when I was plaing Windwaker on teh Gamecube for so long, that when I played Super Mario Sunshine I kept pressing B to make mario swing his sword when an enemy was near and I thought Mario would automaticlly jump if I walked of a cliff!:p Okay not the jump part, but the sword part was the truth, and I kept on doing it over and over!

AppleGuy08
Jun 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
The cut-scene was fun, I got crushed the first time. :)

Haha I too got crushed. I wasnt paying attention (having too much fun waving the Wiimote around) and i didn't see the sneaky A+B combo they threw in.

:D :D That's nothing compared to when I was plaing Windwaker on teh Gamecube for so long, that when I played Super Mario Sunshine I kept pressing B to make mario swing his sword when an enemy was near and I thought Mario would automaticlly jump if I walked of a cliff!:p Okay not the jump part, but the sword part was the truth, and I kept on doing it over and over!

Lol, yah every time i come up to a fence or ladder, I expect to automatically climp up or over it. Its weird having to push A to jump over or climb. I also find myself shaking my nunchuck all around (expecting a power swing to happen or something) But its all good, im finally getting used to the controls. I think i need to invert the pitch. Its weird when you move the stick up, and it moves up!

JackAxe
Jun 25, 2007, 12:35 AM
A+B was EVIL. :)

I found shotgun shells, so hopefully I didn't miss the shotgun.

I was contemplating inverting the stick, but have been hesitant since I've already played for a few.

<]=)

AppleGuy08
Jun 25, 2007, 01:42 AM
Ah yah, i just got done playing for the night. After i inverted my control stick it felt so much better (like i was aiming in Zelda) But of course thats just personal preference. I know we all have different grip/control techniques and what not.

I wont spoil it, but after a few hours of playing ive got about 5 kickass guns.

Oh yah, about the shotgun shells, I found that with all of the guns I have, i found the ammo shortly before i found the gun. So now that you found the shotgun ammo, keep your eyes peeled for that shotty. Im not sure if you ran into the guy that sells guns and ammo, but when you do, buy the village map from him. Itll show you where all the goodies are!

Antares
Jun 25, 2007, 11:53 AM
Even though I played and beat the original, I'm buying the Wii version, today, because I want to play the "new" PS2 Ada Wong missions. I think it would still be worth it. Operation Ada was really fun, though tough, in the Cube RE4. I'm looking forward to more Ada. Also, Mercenaries should be even more fun with the Wiimote aiming...I never was able to get 5 stars with some of the characters on a few of the missions in the Gamecube version....

zero2dash
Jun 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
I never was able to get 5 stars with some of the characters on a few of the missions in the Gamecube version....

I was thinking earlier (while driving back to work after picking it up at lunch) now I get to work on upping my mercs scores. Think my highest up until now was around 125,000.

Took me awhile to 5* every one, every level to get the HC.
4* wasn't too hard.
Leon's the worst. :o I hated using him. The other characters are so much better.

I still have nightmares about Dr. Salvador x2 on Water Works. :D

I'll post my RWiivil 4 thoughts after I get home. I may be the only one but I'm pissed off they got rid of the laser reticule, I liked it. The new one is too over the top and unnecessary; I like the laser sight point better. /shrug/
Can't wait to play Separate Ways; I enjoyed Assignment Ada a lot. (despite it being short)

I also can't wait to be able to have Ashley in the new (Ps2) costume. ;)
"Leeeeeeeeeeoooonnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!"

Antares
Jun 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
I'll post my RWiivil 4 thoughts after I get home. I may be the only one but I'm pissed off they got rid of the laser reticule, I liked it. The new one is too over the top and unnecessary;

I think the larger sight helps you more easily see where you're pointing when using IR/motion control. However, you can switch to the laser reticule if you plug in the Classic Controller. It switches automatically and you get the original controls.

zero2dash
Jun 26, 2007, 09:08 AM
(I'll try to do my best on this one y'all. ;))

Let me start off by saying that I'm somewhat biased in this review because I think Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube is one of the best games in the last decade. I'll reiterate something I've said about a million times on a million message boards...I beat RE4 on the Cube roughly 11 times; 7 times on Normal and 4 times on Professional. I love the game. I did everything there was to do in the Gamecube version; I unlocked everything...weapons, Mercs characters, had three save slots with around 5 million pesetas each (good enough to start the game with whatever weapon(s) you wanted). So - don't expect my Resident Wiivil 4 review to be anything but positive, unless Capcom screwed it up.

Of course, they didn't. :D

The main point behind RE4 on the Wii is obviously the control, firstly, and a distant second would be the inclusion of the exclusives that were added to the Ps2 RE4. After selling my Gamecube, I almost bought RE4 on the Ps2 several times, but could never grasp the idea of using the Dual Shock for the game; the Cube controller was just perfect for the game and I couldn't have it any other way. I wanted those exclusives, but not at a sacrifice of Dual Shock controls and weaker graphics. Now, at a quick glance, both RE4's look similar, similar enough to trick you into thinking they're equal. Wrong. Purists will tell you that the Ps2 RE4 had lower quality textures and a lower polygon count, so odds and ends were different. Nothing that's a deal breaker, but...certainly not the optimal way to play if you have a choice.

Luckily the Wii gets the Ps2 extras version of RE4, with the Gamecube graphics; the best of both worlds. Ada's -5- level Separate Ways chapters, which shows her activities that parallel Leon's in the main game and story, as well as true widescreen support (no letterboxing like on the Cube one), the 3rd set of costumes (Ashley's being the one I look forward to the most), and...the PRL? I haven't heard whether or not the PRL is in the Wii one. (Even though from what I've heard it's not that good...I'd still like to be able to play with it.) Also don't know if Ada's 'Reports' are in there as well but I assume they are.

In a little more detail: the Wii controls are roughly as follows. Now if you are in a dire situation, like being surrounded by ganados, you can just wildly swing the Wiimote and you will do a 'quick stab' that will swing the knife at the closest enemy. For actually targeting enemies or items, you can hold C down on the nunchuck and then swing the Wiimote, which will yield more damage from the knife stab. (Alternately, you can also hold C and hit A on the Wiimote to stab, as opposed to physically swinging the Wiimote. I prefer swinging it, because it gives you a little more feeling like you're in the game.) Holding B on the Wiimote brings your weapon at a 'ready' stance, where you then just aim and hit A to fire. Reloading is easy as well...hold B, shake the Wiimote - easy as pie. Cutscenes and other scripted events now have Wiimote shaking rather than button tapping like in the previous versions of the game; I find the Wiimote shaking to be easier, albeit a little more tiring. ;)

In a nutshell - aiming is 100% easier. Granted, I never had aiming problems before on the Cube one, but...this is really a piece of cake now. Point and shoot, can't get much better and simpler than that. Add in the Ps2 exclusives + 'better than the Ps2' Gamecube graphics, and a $29 USD price tag - and this game is a must buy. If you've played the game before and hated it, then...you should still give it a second shot. A fair amount of people hated RE0-RE:CV's "tank" like controls, which were changed in RE4. Those changes are re-innovated again with the Wiimote aiming. If you're a fan of this game, you will be in hog heaven with the Wii version.

There are some slight differences though. Very slight. Seems like the Wii one gives out more pesetas, is a little more stingy on ammo, and overall because of the easier aiming - is a little easier of a game in that regard. But, it's never been better and easier to aim for the knees, knock down, and knife the bejesus out of your enemies. I highly *highly* recommend this game. I can say without question that I will easily beat this game another 11x, and probably at least another 11 after that...I love RE4. Did they add anything Wii exclusive? Other than the control scheme - no. But that's ok with me. At $29, you can't go wrong, and you can't really nitpick or harp too much on a lack of 'new' exclusives. The game itself is already very solid. Maybe I'm too biased, but...10/10 for me. The game as it is - is perfect. :D

It took me about 20-30 minutes to get used to the controls. I'll be honest - at first, I was thinking "meh" and didn't know if I'd like it. After that initial break-in period though...it's like second nature now; absolutely sweet. ;)

On another RE4 related note:
I hate to say that I want Capcom to go back to the well again and re-milk their already re-milked IP, but...I would give a kidney for a 360 RE4, even if all they did was upgrade the graphics and add the achievements. They wouldn't have to add any new features (although it would be nice)...but RE4 on the 360 with 360 graphics would make me one happier-than-I-already-am happy gamer. ;)

Igantius
Jun 26, 2007, 09:13 AM
Been meaning to get a Wii for a while... especially when I heard RE4 was coming to it and you've just sealed the deal :D

zero2dash
Jun 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
Been meaning to get a Wii for a while... especially when I heard RE4 was coming to it and you've just sealed the deal :D

As a huge RE4 fan, RE4 is worth a Wii purchase IMO. I would say the same thing about a Cube and RE4 as well, but the Wii version is far and beyond the pinnacle of the RE4 experience.

I'm almost mad at myself for thinking about selling the system a few weeks ago, but I'm damn glad that I didn't.

Wii RE4 is just incredible. :D
Again - I would love the game unless they screwed it up, and really, the only way they could've screwed it up is if the Wii controls were screwed up. And they're not. Granted, it took me about 20-30 minutes before I was fully comfortable with the controls, but once I was...straight butter baby. :p

And as for the ammo being a little more short than on the Cube one - it's not really an issue if you knife a lot (which was a good strategy to begin with).

I got to around 2-2 before upgrading a weapon for the first time, and that was merely because I needed some shotty ammo and there was none to be found. I had around 240,000 pesetas with an unupgraded shotgun and [freebie] punisher +1 damage, so I went and upgraded the shotgun 2x on ammo count and went ahead and spent another 20,000 on damage and reload. Really - (ideally, if you're familiar with the game already) starting out this way is the best bet. It is possible to finish the game with an unupgraded pistol (or, the free punisher), shotgun + BAR. Not as EASY, but...do-able. That's what I was going for this time around, so I have the pesetas when I'm finished with my first go around to get some of the unlockable weapons (with their high price tags).

If anybody needs help with the game or you get in a stuck spot, feel free to ask me (either post here or IM me). I'm not 'the best' RE4 player out there, but I (not trying to be conceited) certainly am a high level player and know my way around the game plenty well. ;)

Just a few pointers for everyone -
-Conserve ammo. Aim for the knees to knock down. If the enemy gets on one knee, run up and kick them, then knife them while they're down. If you shoot the knee while they are running, they instantly fall which then again is your opening to run up and knife them while they're down. Work on this strategy til it's second nature for you and you will save a lot of pistol ammo. Do not rely on the pistol past 2-1 for anything but knocking enemies down to knife them.

BUT

don't EVEN try to think about knifing a level 2 or level 3 ganado (with the visible plagas). It'll be awhile before you see 3's, but it's a BAD idea on 2's as well (the ones that whip around with the bladed end). In any event - flash grenades will instantly kill any exposed plagas, so if there's a bunch of 2's or 3's ganados, toss a flash grenade to finish the job.

-Shotgun = crowd control (gets enemies away from you and gives you breathing room). Don't even bother bringing out a pistol weapon if you're surrounded or have 4+ ganados on your tail. 3 or 4, I'll usually work on knock down -> knifing them, if it's more than 4 (or there's a level 2 in there somewhere and I have no flash grenades) I will pull out the shotgun.

-Spend your pesetas wisely.
(IMO) order of preference -
#1 upgrade your case FIRST

then try to hold on to as much money as possible. If you need to upgrade weapons up until around 4-1, that's ok, but around 3-3 / 4-1 it's not really that feasible. New weapons appear every once in awhile, and selling old weapons (whether upgraded or not) gives you a 50% price cut on what you actually paid for those weapons.

Be greedy, be a miser...but don't put yourself into a struggle/situation or make it too hard on yourself. Again, I just upgraded my shotgun at 3-2 'cause I had no ammo. Which is another word of note - if you're low on ammo, upgrade the ammo capacity on the weapon and it will instantly fill that weapon to that upgraded capacity. Say you have a shotty with 0 ammo. Upgrade it to level 2 ammo and you gain +9 shotgun bullets/ammo right then and there (or whatever the level 2 is, I forget). Where I was (3-2), I was at the path split...going left...and I needed shotgun ammo. I gained 2 shells from the camp area but couldn't find any more, so I backtracked to the nearest merchant and upgraded to level 3 on ammo and instantly had 12 (?) shotgun ammo, which got me through the area I was having trouble with.

-Use ladders and doors to your advantage. If you have the opportunity, go up somewhere, make ganados climb up the ladder, the knife them when they get near the top to knock them down again. Rinse and repeat. Spent gun ammo = 0. ;) Doors you can use to keep yourself in favorable odds; ie lead 1 ganado into a doored room, leave his friends in the other room, kill him one on one, then lead another one into the same room.

-Use herbs before eggs. Eggs take up 1 case slot. Herbs are 2. Hold on to eggs for dear life. Treat combined herbs like gold. (especially combined yellow ones) On that note - you may want to use yellow only on Leon first, then Ashley when Leon's full. Ashley should never be in danger enough to need lots of life; if she's in that kind of danger, you're not protecting her well. She's annoying, hell yes, but keep her out of danger. Hide her. Normal ganados will not actively seek her out, but minibosses will even if she's hiding in a crate. If anything else (because the crates are only in a few areas), go to a corridor or long hallway, put her at the end of it where no one can get her without going through you. Stand in the middle of the corridor and fire away.

pcypert
Jun 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
The hardest bit about the controls for me was the last big game I finished was TP...so it was more my fault. Just too much muscle memory for that control scheme...now that I've logged a few hours on R4 things are moving fine....

Paul

zero2dash
Jun 26, 2007, 10:18 AM
I forgot to add: there's only 1 thing about RE4 Wii that I dislike.

...now I am dying to get a component cable. :D :p

With the Cube, I was going to get a component cable, but I couldn't find any, and never got around to calling Nintendo to see if they had any available (which they reportedly did, if you called & asked).

Now, with the Wii of course - component cables are pretty widely available; I've seen the Nintendo brand ones at Gamestop for $30 USD (including yesterday). Aargh though...we're broke. ;) I got RE4 Wii for $7 after tax because I had a $25 gift card, but otherwise...we're broke. I was trying to think of games I could trade in for credit to get the Wii component cable, but I really don't have any games I'll part with, so - I guess I'll have to wait 'til payday next week. :)

(Not that the game looks bad through composite or anything, but I really want to see how nice it looks in 480p.)

One more thing: here's (http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/56139) a funny article related to the RE series (and survival horror games in general). ;)

Antares
Jun 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
Let me start off by saying that I'm somewhat biased...
...Capcom screwed it up.
...certainly not the optimal way to play if you have a choice.
I'll be honest..."meh"

:p Well, you seem to enjoy this game. So, how does it play on the Classic Controller? I picked up REWii last night and will play it as soon as I finish up Super Paper Mario.

zero2dash
Jun 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
:p Well, you seem to enjoy this game. So, how does it play on the Classic Controller? I picked up REWii last night and will play it as soon as I finish up Super Paper Mario.

Blasphemy! :D
I can't imagine playing this game with anything but the Wiimote, sans maybe the Cube controller if you're having difficulty grasping the Wiimote/nunchuck control scheme. But that's the thing...in my initial 20-30 minutes, I literally started wondering if I'd ever 'get it' and get the controls down to a comfortable level; again though, once past that break-in period, it's sublime with the Wiimote/nunchuck.

I don't have a classic controller, nor do I have my Cube anymore, so it's Wiimote or nothing as my options. ;)

AppleGuy08
Jun 26, 2007, 01:52 PM
Haha, im glad to see all the good comments and reviews about this game. I just had a few quick questions that i hope someone could answer here.

1. How do you use the laser sight on the punisher/pistol you start with? (im not sure if its an upgrade or what)

2. When is the Large Attache Case become available? Ive got the Medium but im constantly running out of room. I cant even get the red9 to fit into it no matter how much organizing i do!

zero2dash
Jun 26, 2007, 02:44 PM
1. How do you use the laser sight on the punisher/pistol you start with? (im not sure if its an upgrade or what)

It seems to me like the aiming reticule is the same on all of the shooting weapons I've used thus far, with the exception of the bolt action rifle (BAR). On the pistol, punisher, and shot gun, the reticule is always on the screen and looks the same no matter which of those 3 weapons you are using.

-With grenades (and likely eggs) equipped, there is no reticule.

-With the BAR (and likely the semi-auto rifle [SAR]), there is no reticule until you hold the B button to aim, and then it's a scope. Well, I'm getting a little ahead of myself...you can use both rifles without the scope (although I don't know why you'd want to), so I don't know if there's a reticule on screen when you are not using the scope.

I've never seen any upgrades for a pistol (regulars and magnums) that involved some sort of a scope or sight enhancer; it's always just been the little red laser dot.

2. When is the Large Attache Case become available? Ive got the Medium but im constantly running out of room. I cant even get the red9 to fit into it no matter how much organizing i do!

My medium's half empty where I am now. ;) LOL
Let me see if I can remember my inventory off the top of my head...
Punisher w 2 boxes of ammo
Shotgun w 2 boxes of ammo
BAR with scope + 3 boxes of ammo
1 box of TMP ammo (to be sold 'cause IMO the TMP is useless and I never bother with it)
1 G+R+Y herb
1 G+R herb
7 eggs (5 white, 1 brown, 1 yellow)
1 grenade each (flash, explosive, incendiary)

I think the Large attache case is available for sale around the beginning of chapter 3 at the first merchant you see. I know I'm at the end of 2 (2-3) and visited the last merchant of chapter 2 and he doesn't have it, so I believe it's in 3-1. (if memory serves me correctly)

If anyone's wondering - IMO the best faqs for RE4 are both of these.. Yami Shuryou (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/535840/36633) and A I e x (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/535840/34675).
Specific to the Cube version, but all the info is relevant; the Wii/Ps2 extras you can find on other faqs.
I used both of those for pointers when I started playing Mercs and sucked. ;)

Mercs is an uphill climb...so those of you who try it out - don't get discouraged. Another big help for me was watching Lorax86's vids, which (back when I played) were linked off Gamefaqs boards but I believe all of his vids have been uploaded to Google videos here (http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=re4+lorax).

MacRumorUser
Jun 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
Zero2Dash. Shoot me a PM. I have spare component cables for the Wii and I'll send one to you as a freebie since your broke my friend :)

AppleGuy08
Jun 26, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ah nice, im at 2-2 right now. For some reason i thought you could have a laser attachment or something. I thought i saw it in a youtube video, i was probably just seeing things. Im gonna sell my SMG and orig. pistol. Ill jsut put the money i have into the punisher.

michaelltd
Jun 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
By the way, when you guys encounter those pesky K9's, try using the TMP gun on them. It keeps them at bay and the magazine is quite large enough to take down a group of 4 or 5 of them. I find using the TMP on them is more effective than, say, the shotguns because of the time it takes before taking another shot.

Gun spoilers in this tip below in white:
I advise against upgrading the Handgun, Punisher, Shotgun, Riot Shotgun, Rifle, Broken Butterfly, and Red9. Instead, save your money to upgrade the guns: Blacktail, Striker, Semi-Auto Rifle, and the TMP.

zero2dash
Jun 27, 2007, 09:30 AM
Ah nice, im at 2-2 right now.

Yeah, Large attache case is at 3-1 at the beginning. Might have been...40,000 pesetas?

Im gonna sell my SMG and orig. pistol. Ill jsut put the money i have into the punisher.

Don't do it unless you need the ammo.
Better weapons are forthcoming. ;)

By the way, when you guys encounter those pesky K9's, try using the TMP gun on them. It keeps them at bay and the magazine is quite large enough to take down a group of 4 or 5 of them. I find using the TMP on them is more effective than, say, the shotguns because of the time it takes before taking another shot.

Yeah but the shotgun is almost always an instant knockdown on any enemy other than a boss (even the minibosses). I hate those frickin' dogs though...especially later in the game in the garden/maze

Gun spoilers in this tip below in white:

**spoilers in white**
I agree on all except the TMP. You're better off saving up the money for the Chicago Typewriter if you're on a machine gun kick. The TMP doesn't do enough damage and since it uses it's own ammo (as opposed to normal handgun ammo), it's even less favorable of a weapon IMO. I just started 3-2, it wasn't even tempting to get a BB or a Riot gun since I know the Striker appears around...4-1 or 4-2?

zero2dash
Jun 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
Don't know who does or doesn't have these but here's some official Capcom RE4 wallpapers straight from their Japanese website and linked through IGN boards (which, these were then put on Imageshack 'cause capcom.co.jp took 'em down or moved them)

(All are 1280x1024 with black borders on the sides, so you could easily add some black if necessary to make them suitable for a widescreen monitor.)

Ada
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1718/residentevil4ada1qn.jpg

Ashley
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/9412/residentevil4ashley1rf.jpg

Krauser
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/319/residentevil4krauser4jl.jpg

Leon
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/3701/residentevil4leon2pu.jpg

Leon + Dr. Salvador
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1086/residentevil4leon26eb.jpg

(I think Biohazard's such a cooler name, but...whatever. ;))

stagecustom
Jun 28, 2007, 10:04 AM
that game was amazing! for the cube... greatly enjoyed that game!

wyatt23
Jun 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
i went on a survey at work two days ago. when i got back on the subway to the manhantan mall, i walked passed a gamestop.

i now own WIIRE4 lol.

AppleGuy08
Jun 28, 2007, 01:39 PM
This whole post of mine is gonna be spoilers for those not up to chapter 4, so its in white starting now: In the beginning of chapter 4 i had almost 300,000ptas to spend, so sold my rifle, pistol, punisher and broken butterfly for a little bit more money. I was left with my shotty, smg and semi auto. I then bought the blacktail. That blacktail is the **** btw! Then i picked up a free RPG in one of those rooms, i cant remember which one. Anyways, i upgraded the shiz outta all the guns and now they are so badass. Ive got the large attache case, and im debating buying the XL. Do you think ill need it?

Ok, now its not spoilers :)

zero2dash
Jun 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
in reply to AppleGuy:
Yeah, Blacktail is the best pistol. Good damage, large clip, insanely quick reload (which is where it really beats the pants off the Red9). Semi-Auto has good reload, fast firing speed, good clip. TMP...I'm still...meh. :p Don't bother with the Riot Gun if you haven't already; keep your standard Shotgun and sell it for the Striker due to the Striker's exclusive upgrade of 100 shell capacity *in the gun*, therefore you will no longer occupy space with shotgun shells (unless the gun has 100 already).

XL attache case you will need for subsequent playthroughs, especially when you get the pesetas to buy the unlockable weapons. On the Cube one, I had an XL case with the Hand Cannon, the Chicago Typewriter, Infinite Rocket Launcher, Striker, Semi-Auto Rifle, and about 16 Health Sprays...and I *still* had extra room for getting stuff and then selling it to the merchant. You may not necessarily need the XL case right now, but you will need it sooner or later...

Antares
Jun 28, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yes, you can never have too much room in this game. Get the XL case.

zero2dash
Jun 29, 2007, 03:12 PM
**spoilers...4-3 area**
So I was playing last night for an hour or so and got to where you fight Salazar, and knew he was coming up. I was going to save and quit for later, but thought - what the hell, I'll go in and see if I can get this over quick. Got some decent damage on him before ending up getting killed, which then ticked me off, so I said "ok then, you're mine". Gladly paid out the 30,000 pesetas to buy a launcher just to 0wN his ass (since doing the smart thing and using the freebie launcher on Verdugo). Finished there, bust up some boxes near the next merchant, do some deals and save it before the Island...5-1.
/end spoilers/msg :D

zero2dash
Jul 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
Finally finished my 1st playthrough last night (haven't played in a few days ;)) and then got on to playing through Separate Ways...I think I finished it in around 3hr 50min (would've been under 3:30 if not for a few cheap 1hit kills that happened with a full health bar and lame BS machine gun fire from JJ).

Separate Ways is great, I had a blast playing through it. Some of the things they came up with in terms of tying Ada's story with Leon's story were really good...lots of original ideas. Ada's was also nice because it's action - action - action, no slower paced areas (like half of the things you have to do with Ashley as Leon). I wish they'd make another one or more spinoffs based on RE4...similar play style, aiming/movement system, etc. but with new stories and/or characters. Very good stuff. ;)

AppleGuy08
Jul 6, 2007, 06:51 PM
yah i finished my first playthrough on wednesday. Now im starting separate ways as well. I was surprised at how short the first round was. when i saw the creds i was like WTF!?!

zero2dash
Jul 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Once you finish Separate Ways, be sure to go back into Ada's Report under the Extras menu (I believe) to watch Report 5...they don't show Report 5 at the end of Separate Ways, Chapter 5 like they do with the other chapters and their respective reports.

Separate Ways...man it's just great. I was so thrilled with how well it was done. Not that I thought it would be bad or anything, but I didn't think they'd put as much effort and thought into the storylines that come out of Separate Ways. Really makes me want more. ;) :D

Shotgun OS
Jul 6, 2007, 09:29 PM
Not to derail the thread at all, but I found this hilarious.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MZmfiHLnkkQ
No spoilers, or anything. Just hilarious.

I just finished RE4 a few days ago. I started playing Seprate Ways and Professional mode. I haven't touched it in the past day or two, though.

JackAxe
Aug 3, 2007, 03:22 AM
That video was funny! :)

I just started playing quite a bit again. Why can't I buy ammo? :o

<]=)

Antares
Aug 3, 2007, 09:55 AM
Yay! I finally beat my first round of the main game last night. Separate Ways...here I come.

JackAxe
Aug 3, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'm still trying to escape. This game is incredibly addicting

<]=)

Antares
Aug 3, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'm still trying to escape. This game is incredibly addicting

<]=)

Tell me about it. I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night because I stupidly stayed up late playing Mercenaries. Just one more time....just one more round....I know I could get 5 stars if I did it one more time....and I'm paying for it at work right now.

JackAxe
Aug 3, 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm in the same boat kind of. :) I forgot Brinks was coming at 7:30 this morning, so stayed up until almost 4 working after playing RE4 all evening. If I had remembered Brinks, I would have worked during the evening, then gone to bed. :o

<]=)

evilgEEk
Aug 12, 2007, 02:13 AM
I just rented RE4 and have a couple of questions:

1. Can you strafe?
2. Is there an easier mode than "Normal", and if so how do you set it?

I'd like to give it a go on an easier level because I'm getting tired of dying so quickly! ;)

I never played the 'Cube version of RE4 so this game is all new to me, and so far it's a LOT of fun!

My only experience with Resident Evil was the first game for the 'Cube. I bought it because I had heard some good things about it, but to be honest, I never finished it because I just couldn't master the controls!

I know, sad.

I think I can finally get in to RE on the Wii, if I can just get an easier mode to start with. :)

zero2dash
Aug 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
I just rented RE4 and have a couple of questions:

1. Can you strafe?
2. Is there an easier mode than "Normal", and if so how do you set it?

I'd like to give it a go on an easier level because I'm getting tired of dying so quickly! ;)

1. no...which is an arguing point for many people. ;) not being able to strafe doesn't bother me. i'd like to be able to move and shoot but the game is still my favorite without that ability
2. no unless you have an import version (US ver has 2 difficulties...Normal and Pro. imports have an Easy and Very Easy in addition to Normal and Pro)

It'll take you a little bit to get used to the controls. Once you do, it should be good for you and you'll die less.

Don't forget, one of the key things in the game is to shoot ganado (the human enemies) legs so they fall, then either shoot them on the ground or knife them. Head shots do more damage; aim for the head as much as possible even if it's while they're on the ground because you can still get headshots even with the weak pistol.

If there's a bunch of them around you, use a shotgun for 'crowd control' (to knock them all down and give you breathing room), or use a grenade (flash grenades are ok to use while they're near you, the explosion of the grenade will not damage...incendiary and regular grenades though, you need some distance so you're not damaged by the fire/blast). If you aim downward with grenades so they hit the ground quicker, they do explode quicker, btw...dunno if you figured that out or not.

Keep at it...normal is a little of a stretch at first, the first time you play through. Once you get it down though, normal is fairly a good starting difficulty because the enemies, bosses, and damage is pretty fair. Once you move up to Pro is where the fun begins. ;)

JackAxe
Aug 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
Nope on the strafe. It has quick-turn around and if you use the direction-pad, you can quickly look in those directions to fire. The game really didn't need it and it's one of those games that if you don't watch your surroundings, you're done for.

Don't think there's an easier mode, but trust me, you don't want it to be easier. ;) It's pretty sad as is that the bad guys slow down right when they get near and then just do that cilché zombie attack. In professional mode, they don't slow down and will rush you at the first chance. :) Once you've upgraded your current gun and bought some new ones, it will get easier in some areas. This really doesn't give anything away and will help, but there's a free shotgun in the first town. I didn't know about it until after I beat the game.

Buy this game!!! :D It's like Doom, or Doom 2 when it comes to shooting fun. And since Capcom so elegantly ripped off Alone in the Dark, it's a great survival horror game. RWii4 is certainly the most fun I've had in a game for some time. I like Zelda better, but it's a different type of fun.

Rambles.

<]=)

JackAxe
Aug 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oops. Here's my excuse for posting some redundant info... My friend called when I was typing. :o

<]=)

evilgEEk
Aug 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
--**insightful and helpful information**--

--**more insightful and helpful information**--

Thanks for the help, guys! Yeah, after I inverted the aim in the options the controls became much less frustraing. That's too bad about the strafing, mainly because I would like to be already aiming at whatever is waiting for me around the corner. ;)

I did find that shotgun in the first town, the one hanging on the wall of the house in the first town. This was after I got my head chopped off by the crazy chainsaw guy. Heh.

But I still really like the game, so I'll most likely buy it soon.

Man, I'm going to be spending a LOT of money on Wii games and VC games. I finally sent my Wii in to get fixed (overheated gfx chip) after about six months of it sitting there and not being played. So now that it's back and fixed I've renewed my love of the console!

Plus I was finally able to beat Twilight Princess yesterday! I was at the castle for six months waiting to get the Wii fixed. ;)

Oops. Here's my excuse for posting some redundant info... My friend called when I was typing. :o

Thanks for the effort though! I appreciate it! :D

zero2dash
Aug 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
Watch your surroundings, there are times when you can save ammo and give yourself an edge. For instance -

-Go up a ladder, then immediately stop and wait by it for enemies to crawl up it to get you. When they get near the top, swing your knife to inflict damage on them and knock them off the ladder. Rinse and repeat 'til all the enemies are dead. Cost = 0 bullets. ;)

-Get inside of a room with a door and wait for the enemies to come to you or get near the door. Couple variations - you can shoot a hole in the door so you can see when they're close. If they start banging on the door, I think it's the 4th bang that they open the door. Simply run up and kick the door before they open it to get some free damage (and sometimes a free knockdown). Back up, let the door close, and repeat. ONE WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH - if there are many enemies on the other side of the door, you may knock a few down but the rest will remain standing and they will try to get you by coming through the open door or by rushing at you, mouths open.

When you get comfortable at the game, practice shooting legs to knock down, then run in and knife the crap out of the enemies. While they're getting up, you can either continue knifing their legs (which most of the time will cause them to fall down again) or you could back up a little bit, wait 'til they're standing, then shoot them down again and commense knifing. Some of the times you can catch an enemy who's stunned by the leg shots and either a) kick them (mainly ganados) or b) suplex them (mainly zealots in the castle). Suplexing can give you a head decapitation which can mean instant kill, but later on in the game it can also lead to the plagas coming out where the head used to be. ;)

Also, don't forget that the flash grenades instantly kill any visible plagas (sticking out of the enemy necks). In a few areas (especially the cabin) this is a LIFE SAVER. The other nice thing about the flash grenades is that it will instantly stun the human enemies (unless they are shield-carrying zealots) which gives you a free kick opportunity (run up to them and hit A) or suplex (ditto).

Pistol usually suffices for the human enemies (especially if you knife them afterwards) but the shotgun is what you primarily use on most of the other regular enemies (zealots, novistadors, visible level 2/level 3 plagas). If you really get stuck on a boss and you have the money, buy a rocket launcher; it kills all bosses in 1 shot (except the end boss). I used a TMP during my first Pro playthrough on the Wii version which is the first time I've ever given the TMP a chance (in the 14-15 other times I've beaten the game)...it's a decent weapon based on the fact that from the castle and on, you get a fair amount of TMP ammo. Otherwise it's weak as hell and I don't bother with it. Shotgun is the #1 weapon class in the game, really. :)

JackAxe
Aug 13, 2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think to shoot them in the legs, which would have helped and will help this time around. :)

I like the TMP. I bought it, because early on, it was the one type of ammo I always had extra of. The first time I encountered *hidden* the weird slug regenerative monsters, I used it and all my rounds to kill the dam thing. I also liked it for taking out groups from a distance moving towards me.

I killed the end boss with the Magnum. :) I couldn't find the item Ada so nicely dropped. :o

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think to shoot them in the legs, which would have helped and will help this time around. :)

No problem...yeah once you get comfortable with the knockdown -> knife method, you will feel like you have a million bullets all of the time from saving all the ammo.

The TMP I used similar to the pistol, really...leg shots to knockdown, then knife-fest. TMP though is useable for crowd control though, whereas the single shot pistols aren't. ;)

I was pretty surprised how much I used the TMP, actually. Never bothered spending the time or the case spaces for the stock, never upgraded it at all - and it worked fine (assuming you fire in bursts...shots of 5 or 10). Then again throwing caution to the wind and holding the trigger down with a fully stocked TMP will make you run out of bullets...quick. :) If I would've had more ammo for my Punisher/Blacktail and Shotgun/Striker, I probably wouldn't have used it, but since I was hurting on ammo a few places...the TMP came in handy.

The other thing I've never gotten...lots of people love the Red9. I can't stand it. Reloads too slow, doesn't hold enough. (Compared to a maxed out Blacktail.) You lose like .04 damage on the max Blacktail vs a max Red9, but the rate of fire, reload speed, and clip size is far better on the Blacktail. (And who really uses a pea shooter for firepower anyway?? :D)

Going through my 2nd playthrough on Pro, I <3 the PRL. ;) Takes a little of the fun out, but hell, I still have plenty of fun. :) The enemies, however...not so much. :D

JackAxe
Aug 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
I upgraded my TMP to max. :o I sold my TMP at the very end though to get a Striker with quite a few upgrades and it came in quite handy. :)

The Blacktail's great. I didn't bother with the Red 9, but was curious. I have my Blacktail maxed out in most areas. I think bullet capacity was one notch down when I finished the game on normal.

On this reload thing, I should be able to back out at anytime. I hope future versions of RE add this option.

I'm going to get the Typewriter gun this time around. It looks to be fun, I'm just not sure how common its ammo will be? The Magnum's ammo was sparse, but I guess that was fair to the enemies.

And can I buy the bow gun outside of the Ada adventures?

And why did they have bullets displayed all over that one shop-keeper's table, but yet I couldn't buy them? I guess the game wanted to taunt me when I was low on rounds.

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
Both of the 1 million peseta weapons (Chicago Typewriter and Infinite Launcher) have infinite ammo. (The Chicago Typewriter is the same thing as a Thompson machine gun or a street sweeper without the round drum on the bottom...it's not some sort of typewriter with a barrel sticking out the back like I wondered the first time I heard the name. ;))

The Hand Cannon is the only unlockable weapon that isn't infinite ammo (unless you fully power it up, then it is). You can find HC ammo, it comes in a Gold box, but is more hard to find than the Magnum shells.

I hear the Mine Launcher has ammo but I've never seen it. I guess you only see it when you have the weapon in your possession? I never buy it unless I'm not going to save and I'm just joking around.

Re: the Bow Gun, unfortunately no, it's not available outside of Separate Ways. I really did like using it a lot though...very powerful. 'Identical to an arrow with a grenade on it' is what I thought the whole time.

The other unlockable weapons...the Matilda...don't bother. Shoots 3 round bursts, uses regular pistol ammo. But it eats ammo like crazy. Just for experimentation - I once started a new round with it. Had around 500 pistol shells. I swear I went through all of 'em in the span of 2-3 minutes (at most).

The PRL, Plaga Removal Laser...well, there's a weird one. In the Ps2 version, apparently the PRL was useless. Basically people said it was little more than a gun that had the effect of a flash grenade. Not so in the Wii version! They upgraded that baby! It's friggin' awesome! It is an instant 1 hit kill (like the Hand Cannon or a rocket launcher shot) when charged (which takes a matter of a second), BUT a) it also one hit kills bosses (like Verdugo...unfrozen, which is insane because even the HC don't do that kind of damage on him) b) it automatically seeks out targets and shoots a # of beams to kill them all/you don't even have to aim it, practically, and c) it will instantly destroy all boxes, doors, barrels, etc in one shot, saving you some 'scavenging time'. :D

People say "well the CT/IRL/HC/PRL ruin the game because it's too easy then", I agree but disagree. I still have lots of fun playing through the game, maybe it's because I'm a huge fan though.

I can't wait for RE5 man! I had no idea if they were going to keep the over-the-shoulder view for any more RE's after 4, but that's what RE5 looks like!

On the ammo note - remember, if you run low on ammo on a weapon, you can upgrade the capacity at the merchant and it will instantly give you a ammo refill up to that capacity. Say, your current Blacktail capacity limit is 18 and you have 0 shells. If you find a merchant with the Blacktail 21 capacity upgrade and buy it, you will instantly have 21 bullets again. That came in handy for me with the Striker the very first time I played on Pro. I had like 10 shotgun bullets when I got to the merchant with the exclusive upgrade - and adding 100 (the exclusive) saved me...gave me enough ammo to finish the game with.

evilgEEk
Aug 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
Ugh. All this talk about the game makes me want to play it more, but I had to return the rental today!

I'm going to have to go out and buy it now.

JackAxe
Aug 14, 2007, 04:00 AM
Buy it now. :)

---

I bought a mine launcher. It was fun to use on the Garrador. :) I came by one box of ML ammo before I bought it. Then afterwards, I got enough rounds to keep it useful. I tried it on Krauser, but it wasn't very effective.

Where do I get a PRL? :eek:

RE5 looks awesome. I'll be hanging out at my friend's place when he picks it up for his PS3. I have my fingers crossed for a Wii version though, but I understand why they're not working on one. Hopefully RWii4 does great along with Umbrella chronicles(Rail system, eh. I'll still buy it though.), then maybe Capcom will commit to rebuilding it, since they won't be able to just do a port.

Where's my Wii chainsaw remote option? :(

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
Ugh. All this talk about the game makes me want to play it more, but I had to return the rental today!

I'm going to have to go out and buy it now.

Best $30 you will ever spend in your life, my friend. ;)

Where do I get a PRL? :eek:

You can get it at the merchant (cost = 0 pesetas :D) after finishing your first Pro run.

Yeah, RE5...wow. Even if the graphics were just a little better than RE4, I'd be 100000% happy with the gameplay being the same and I'd definitely buy it. But they didn't stop there; the game visually looks phenominal, and it looks like the enemies are a lot more rabid/aggresive going by the trailer. It was great to see though...over the shoulder view/aiming, region-based aiming (arms, legs etc)...up close attacks (like the kick that Chris Redfield does). RE5 is definitely one of my most wanted titles..what's the release on that again? <checks> "TBA" says Gamespot. @#$%!!!!!!!!!

JackAxe
Aug 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
It will be another few weeks before I can get the PRL, if not another month. :)

I'm torn. I hate thumb-aiming to the point of avoiding great games, but I want to play RE5. :(

Hopefully if I wait 2 years this will change. :o But in the mean time I'll just gnaw away on this new arcade shooter they're throwing our way. *grumbles*

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'll get it, I think it'll be good.

(Always was a fan of arcade rail shooters like Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, and Time Crisis...no complaining from me.)

Pro is fun. The enemies go from being mildly aggressive and somewhat stupid to pretty smart and all-up-in-yo-face. :D Once you're comfortable with the game and start playing on Pro, you'll see that Pro is the way the game was meant to be played...the experience is that much better. :)

Antares
Aug 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
Once you're comfortable with the game and start playing on Pro, you'll see that Pro is the way the game was meant to be played...the experience is that much better. :)

Better than the hidden Master Mode?

zero2dash
Aug 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
Better than Master, better than Plaga Master, better than "Right Hand Man's #@!^$ mode" too. :D

JackAxe
Aug 15, 2007, 03:13 AM
I started on pro and got worked just like I did the first time I played the demo on my Cube. :o

If they port RE5 to the PC and it doesn't have control issues like RE4. I might go that route. But that's a big if.

<]=)

Iscariot
Aug 17, 2007, 12:23 AM
RE4 is easily one of the best gaming investiments I've ever made, right up there with Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros. Melee and Metal Gear Solid (and the GC remake).

I've played RE through in both difficulties, gotten 5 stars on every mercenary map and unlocked every weapon, so I've got a few good tips for those just starting out.

a) Buy every treasure map: these items will pay for themselves tenfold. Additionally, always combine eligible treasures.

b) Shooting a Ganados in the head with a low-powered weapon will cause him or her to stagger backwards holding their face. If you are within melee range, this brings up a "kick" prompt, allowing you to roundhouse the Ganados as well as all other enemies in the vicinity. This is a great, ammo efficient means of crowd control.

c) Ditch the starting handgun as soon as possible. Replace with either the free Punisher or Red9+stock. The Red9 packs the most punch of any pistol, but the Punisher fires through up to 5 enemies with the exclusive upgrade. The Blacktail is also a great gun.

d) A quick burst of TMP ammo at leg level will slow down a large crowd considerably, making explosives more effective.

e) The Ganados with torches will breathe fire on you. If you shoot them as they're inhaling, they'll catch fire and most often die as a result (one hit kill)

f) Buy the medium attache case upgrade, skip the large, and buy the extra large to save yourself a lot of money.

g) Covet magnum ammo, and always keep your magnum's firepower upgraded, as it will be the key to defeating many bosses. *NEVER* reload your magnum unless absolutely necessary. Instead, when it runs out of ammo upgrade it's capacity -- the vendor will reload the weapon for you.

h) *ALL* projectiles can be shot out of the air, including explosives (which will detonate on impact). The best weapon for this is the TMP, but with some practice you can knock them out of the air with just your handgun. There is some degree of auto-aiming. This is particularly useful against the Ganados with the dynamite -- shoot it out of the air or while it's in their hand to kill them and those around them.

i) Las Plagas (headcrabs) are instantly killed by a flash grenade.

j) Enemies that have been flash-grenaded are vulnerable to the "kick" prompt.

k) Late in the game, shooting out both of an enemy's legs can bring up a "suplex" prompt, which basically kicks ass.

l) IMO, don't upgrade the shotgun, use it only as a kickback weapon, and kill downed enemies with your handgun or knife. When the Striker becomes available, buy that.

n) *ALWAYS* upgrade the firepower of your primary weapon. More damage done = less ammo used.

o) Don't buy a rifle scope. The rifle has more than enough zoom range alone.

p) The rifle is a great, all purpose weapon. With an abundance of ammunition, I often use it as my primary weapon for stretches of the game, due to the amount of damage it inflicts. Additionally, a well used rifle will one-shot the Ganados with the wooden shields, and can penetrate multiple enemies.

q) Don't try and reload in the middle of a firefight; instead, when your magazine runs low, switch to one of your other available weapons. Since I'm a handgun/headshot/kick/suplex fanatic, I like to run with multiple handguns and switch them around as ammo drops.

r) Later on when you're fighting the regenerators (creepy buggers), there are two methods of dealing with them easily. The first, from a distance, is to blast out both their legs and shoot the plagas on their back, as it's the hardest to target. (Don't try this when they're close, you'll regret it.) The second is to hit them with an incindiary grenade.

Wow, that was long.

Iscariot
Aug 17, 2007, 12:28 AM
I hear the Mine Launcher has ammo but I've never seen it. I guess you only see it when you have the weapon in your possession? I never buy it unless I'm not going to save and I'm just joking around.

Fully upgraded, the ML is probably the most fun weapon in the game. The homing exclusive is wicked.

zero2dash
Aug 17, 2007, 09:23 AM
RE4 is easily one of the best gaming investiments I've ever made, right up there with Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros. Melee and Metal Gear Solid (and the GC remake).

I've played RE through in both difficulties, gotten 5 stars on every mercenary map and unlocked every weapon, so I've got a few good tips for those just starting out.

I agree with all of your points except:

a) I don't buy the treasure maps because you can either a) remember where everything is or b) get a free faq on gamefaqs and save the money. (moreso option a for me; after playing through the game like 17x now I know where all the treasures are)

c) ah Red9 fan eh? (again I hate that gun)

f) I say buy all of 'em, I always do then again my cases get filled up quick with excess unused ammo and herbs/sprays

g) I don't bother upgrading magnums, ever. Get the free Broken Butterfly and keep it at stock is what I do on first runs. Really...magnums are a waste on bosses IMO. *spoilers in white* Going by what I do, you don't get the BB until after killing 'teh big CHEEZ'. ;) (Mendes) on the bosses following him, I use the free rocket on Verdugo, buy a rocket for Salazar ('cause I hate that boss fight, he's annoying). I usually rely on the Striker for U3 but will occasionally shoot him with the stock [free] BB at the end of the fight. That leaves Krauser, which is a knife fight, then Saddler, by then the Striker's fully upgraded and having the buckshot spread damage makes it easier to fight him with the Striker to hit his eyes. *end spoilers in white* save the magnum upgrade pesetas and either buy a rocket launcher in a pinch (saving money in the process) or save the pesetas for upgrading the Hand Cannon. (IMO)

k) Ganados can be kicked, suplex (and kick) is available for zealots

o) I always buy rifle scopes. don't bother with stocks though (don't buy the Red9 regardless, but didn't bother with a TMP stock 'cause that's a waste of pesetas)

q) I don't have this problem and I reload during shootouts. Keep an eye on your ammo, shoot a few enemies down, reload while others are coming. (my style)

r) I don't bother shooting regenerators with anything but the thermal scope SAR, it's a waste of ammo. except for the first two you see that you have to get by, that's a single leg shotgun blast to knock down, then run by. Get the thermal scope, come back and take out the trash. ;)

Fully upgraded, the ML is probably the most fun weapon in the game. The homing exclusive is wicked.

PRL~FTW man :) infinite ammo
IMO Mine Launcher is better without the exclusive because you can aim where the darts go. Can't eye dart, butt dark, or crotch dart a ganado/zealot when you have the exclusive already; it will just home in on them and hit them dead center, chest area. I'd rather have fun maiming them. ;)

Best advice I can give [again] is use ladders to knife/knockdown enemies, use doors to separate yourself and get in free hits, and rely on pistol leg shot/knockdown into knifing...do all three of those and the game is a cinch because you'll have plenty of ammo for the harder moments and plenty of pesetas just in case you need a capacity upgrade (free ammo) or a rocket launcher for a boss.

Antares
Aug 17, 2007, 12:07 PM
Well, I like the Red9. I think it's a great gun. I used the Blacktail when I played the original GameCube version and the Red9 with the Wii version.

I also finally beat Separate Ways last night. One querstion...the cut scenes in Separate Ways seemed to have been lower quality...even the bits from the main game. Since they were made for the PS2, do you think Capcom simply didn't upgrade them for the Wii? For the PS2, they used FMV instead of in-game cut scenes like on the Cube.

zero2dash
Aug 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
I also finally beat Separate Ways last night. One querstion...the cut scenes in Separate Ways seemed to have been lower quality...even the bits from the main game. Since they were made for the PS2, do you think Capcom simply didn't upgrade them for the Wii? For the PS2, they used FMV instead of in-game cut scenes like on the Cube.

Yeah, that's my opinion/thought at least.
They're too low grade to be in-game graphics versus video. The cutscenes during the normal game are clearly higher quality.

And I agree about the rest of Separate Ways as well; looks like a straight Ps2 port with no optimization done. I'm not complaining...it still looks good, still enjoyable, and it was only $30...but - the point has to be made nonetheless. ;)

Iscariot
Aug 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
I agree with all of your points except:

a) I don't buy the treasure maps because you can either a) remember where everything is or b) get a free faq on gamefaqs and save the money. (moreso option a for me; after playing through the game like 17x now I know where all the treasures are)

My advice was more for a first time player. The maps are way more convenient than an FAQ when it's your first time.

c) ah Red9 fan eh? (again I hate that gun)

Actually, I love all the handguns.

f) I say buy all of 'em, I always do then again my cases get filled up quick with excess unused ammo and herbs/sprays

That's 40 000 pesetas man!

g) I don't bother upgrading magnums, ever. Get the free Broken Butterfly and keep it at stock is what I do on first runs. Really...magnums are a waste on bosses IMO. *spoilers in white*

Moreso aimed at a newbie, who's going to get more use out of the Magnum than seasoned vets. (white)
You RL Salazar? That's my second favourite fight, next to the Krauser knife fight. I can't imagine skipping that one.

o) I always buy rifle scopes. don't bother with stocks though (don't buy the Red9 regardless, but didn't bother with a TMP stock 'cause that's a waste of pesetas)

There's nothing so far away that the default scope won't work as well. Maybe that's why you're running out of case space ;)

q) I don't have this problem and I reload during shootouts. Keep an eye on your ammo, shoot a few enemies down, reload while others are coming. (my style)

Nor I, I'm a huge fan of headshot+kick+reload. But newbies will have that problem.

r) I don't bother shooting regenerators with anything but the thermal scope SAR, it's a waste of ammo. except for the first two you see that you have to get by, that's a single leg shotgun blast to knock down, then run by. Get the thermal scope, come back and take out the trash. ;)

I was referring to using the Thermal Scope. Blasting out a leg gives you a clean shot at the rear Plagas, and if you do it from a distance they won't hop up on you and bite your neck (creepy as hell).

IMO Mine Launcher is better without the exclusive because you can aim where the darts go. Can't eye dart, butt dark, or crotch dart a ganado/zealot when you have the exclusive already; it will just home in on them and hit them dead center, chest area. I'd rather have fun maiming them. ;)

To each his own. I love fooling around with the homing function and bouncing mines off of non-targets.

On a side note, just this very morning my memory card became corrupted, and I have to start from scratch! I think I'm going to pick up the Wii version tomorrow.

zero2dash
Aug 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
On a side note, just this very morning my memory card became corrupted, and I have to start from scratch! I think I'm going to pick up the Wii version tomorrow.

Wait til you get to play with the PRL...very fun weapon. ;)
I know the general concensus is that the PRL sucked in the Ps2 version but they changed it in the Wii version, it's not the same weapon. (well it looks the same and it's called the same thing but it's a different beast altogether)

I haven't bothered playing through Mercs on the Wii one yet but I hear it's a little easier. Good because I'm not looking forward to Dr. Salvador X x2 on water works all over again. :) One more thing they changed that wasn't in the Gamecube one (but apparently *was* in the Ps2 one)...no tactical vest on Pro. I was wondering about this when the merchant who normally first has the tac vest for sale didn't have it on my first Wii Pro mode, but after finishing the game, even the 'cleared save' merchant at the beginning didn't have it. I ended up posting a message on the Gamefaqs RE4 boards and found out that they removed the tac vest on Pro on the RE4 releases after the first Gamecube one.

JackAxe
Aug 17, 2007, 07:01 PM
Maybe they thought the Wii's innate ability to aim precisely and quickly, when properly setup, made the game too easy with the vest in pro mode? :)

I'm finally finishing Zelda TP to take a break from RE4. It was consuming me to the point of not working. But after I'm done with Z:TP and caught up on my work, I'll be back enjoying RE4 pro mode. The stupid Twilight dragon in Zelda pissed me off. I was about to scream, but then killed the mofo.

<]=)

Iscariot
Aug 17, 2007, 09:24 PM
I haven't bothered playing through Mercs on the Wii one yet but I hear it's a little easier.

Awww. It only took me a couple of hours to clear all the mercs the first time around. Wasn't challenging enough IMO.

I've only had a chance to play around a little bit, but the Wii version seems like a well put together vehicle for the Wiimote. >80% accuracy on each chapter thus far with no deaths, and at least 50% headshots. I can't wait to unlock the mercs and go on a Hunk neck snapping spree :D

Since I haven't unlocked pro yet, I'm doing a pure handguns run (re: I love handguns) to make it more interesting. Sold my shotgun at the first opportunity.

pcypert
Aug 18, 2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks you guys for the tips. I've finally rounded the corner on the game thanks to the shooting in the legs tip. I just wish they'd knife a bit better when the guy isn't on the ground...my guy is a moron when trying to knife a standing opponent :)

I've been maintaining a 92% accuracy with the handgun, but I'm so afraid of running out of ammo :D

Paul

Iscariot
Aug 18, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thanks you guys for the tips. I've finally rounded the corner on the game thanks to the shooting in the legs tip. I just wish they'd knife a bit better when the guy isn't on the ground...my guy is a moron when trying to knife a standing opponent :)

I've been maintaining a 92% accuracy with the handgun, but I'm so afraid of running out of ammo :D

Paul

That's really good accuracy. If you're not already, try to make your shots count -- a headshot or body shot does considerably more damage than a shot to the shoulders or limbs.

If you make good use of legshots/headshots, you can round up a crowd of Ganados and deal greater damage with area of effect attacks like kick, grenade or shotgun. Also of note, several animations make you invulnerable to damage: while kicking, shaking off, or jumping down, projectiles, attacks and weapons have no effect. One of my favorite tricks when surrounded is to headshot, quickly drop a grenade, and kick. The grenade clears out the Ganados, and the kick keeps me from taking damage. Later in the minigame as Hunk, I like to headshot, grenade and then necksnap -- that makes for one badass animation combo.

If you're having any trouble with a specific spot, let us know.

pcypert
Aug 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks,
I'll probably be posting a lot as I've been playing so slowly...have weeks between playing so when I pick up the game again I forget where I am and what I'm doing :) . That and I suck at games like this...

Paul

JackAxe
Aug 19, 2007, 03:11 AM
I didn't play RE4 for almost a month after I moved and when I picked it back up, I couldn't put it down. :o It's been a wile since I've been this consumed with a game. :)

<]=)

A Pittarelli
Aug 19, 2007, 04:00 AM
its so much better on the wii than on gamecube

Antares
Aug 19, 2007, 10:28 PM
its so much better on the wii than on gamecube

Well, I'm sure nobody would argue with that...It has the best parts of all the versions and the Wii remote aiming is so unbelievably and amazingly fun.

zap2
Aug 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
Now I want it for Wii.....yet I have not even finished it on NGC!

Iscariot
Aug 20, 2007, 12:00 AM
I finished my first Wii playthrough, handguns only (I had 3 of them maxed out to exclusive :3) and it was a blast. The Wiimote aim was excellent, and it made a lot of parts of the game more enjoyable (I didn't think the Krauser fight could get better, but it did).

HOWEVER:

Going on a "neck snapping ballet" in Mercenaries as Hunk is a lot more difficult. The aiming reticle disappears during the neck-snapping animation, making it much more difficult to plan out your next headshot. In other versions the location of the laser would be predictable, but with the jitter of the wiimote it's hard to tell exactly where you're next shot will go after the animation. So far I've only managed 45ish necksnaps in a row, and it's kind of frustrating >:(

Antares
Aug 20, 2007, 12:10 PM
Going on a "neck snapping ballet" in Mercenaries as Hunk is a lot more difficult. The aiming reticle disappears during the neck-snapping animation, making it much more difficult to plan out your next headshot. In other versions the location of the laser would be predictable, but with the jitter of the wiimote it's hard to tell exactly where you're next shot will go after the animation. So far I've only managed 45ish necksnaps in a row, and it's kind of frustrating >:(

If you have a Gamecube controller, you can play RE4Wii with it and not use the Wii remote. So, you can still play using the original controls (including the original the laser reticule). Simply plug in your Gamecube controller (or Wavebird) and the game will automatically detect it. That may help you with Hunk.

zero2dash
Aug 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
I still don't get the hoopla over the neck snap.
It's useless against every boss except the Bella Sisters and leaves you wide open when you are going back to normal starting stance.

With Hunk, I grenade first, TMP second. Neck snap I don't bother with.

Now, if we're talking about Krauser's 2x kick or Wesker's Thrust Punch, well then, that's a whole other ball of hand-to-hand-@$$ whippin' altogether. :D

Iscariot
Aug 20, 2007, 05:07 PM
If you have a Gamecube controller, you can play RE4Wii with it and not use the Wii remote. So, you can still play using the original controls (including the original the laser reticule). Simply plug in your Gamecube controller (or Wavebird) and the game will automatically detect it. That may help you with Hunk.

Yeah, I know. But I want to master it with the Wii controls. I'm getting better at it, up to 78 necks in a row last night! edit: 81 now

It's useless against every boss except the Bella Sisters and leaves you wide open when you are going back to normal starting stance.

If used correctly, you can use the necksnap to dodge projectiles, attacks, explosives, etc. I can't tell you how many time I've dodged a chainsaw by necksnapping straight into — and through — a crowd. Plus, it just looks badass.

JackAxe
Aug 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
but with the jitter of the wiimote

I might be pulling this out of context, but if youre cursor is literally jittery, then you'll need to rethink your sensor bar placement as you're probably too far from it. At 5 feet, it starts to loose accuracy. The Wiimote, given that the sensor bar is in a good position in relation to your screen size can be "very" precise.

As long as you don't have an awkward setup like my friend's plasma, which is above his fire mantle, you should be able to make your Wiimote as accurate as an earlier mouse. For my cousin's 65" projection, we found that putting the bar on a coffee table in front of the TV, just a few feet in front of it, made all of the difference.

Blah.

<]=)

Iscariot
Aug 20, 2007, 05:49 PM
I might be pulling this out of context, but if youre cursor is literally jittery, then you'll need to rethink your sensor bar placement as you're probably too far from it. At 5 feet, it starts to loose accuracy. The Wiimote, given that the sensor bar is in a good position in relation to your screen size can be "very" precise.

As long as you don't have an awkward setup like my friend's plasma, which is above his fire mantle, you should be able to make your Wiimote as accurate as an earlier mouse. For my cousin's 65" projection, we found that putting the bar on a coffee table in front of the TV, just a few feet in front of it, made all of the difference.

Blah.

<]=)

I was more referring to two seconds of idle hand jitters, but that's good advice for when I get a new TV!

Vidd
Aug 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
What's this neck-snapping technique that is being mentioned?
Is it related to only one character?

I beat Resident Evil and enjoyed it thoroughly. It would have helped if I knew about how you could add Red Herbs to G+Y mixes, though.
I also didn't know that you could invert the control stick aiming.

Iscariot
Aug 20, 2007, 09:09 PM
What's this neck-snapping technique that is being mentioned?
Is it related to only one character?

In the Mercenaries minigame (unlocked by beating the game on the Wii), you can play as HUNK, a special agent in full armour/gas mask. If you shoot an enemy in the head, if you get into melee range while they're stumbling you can snap their neck.

On a semi unrelated note, Mercenaries is too easy on the Wii. I've only tried 6 map/character combinations, and I got 5-star on the first try on each, including a couple 80+ kill sprees and clearing all 124 Ganados on the village map as HUNK.

JackAxe
Aug 21, 2007, 12:50 AM
I was more referring to two seconds of idle hand jitters, but that's good advice for when I get a new TV!

I thought I might be misconstruing your statement. :o

<]=)

JackAxe
Aug 21, 2007, 12:52 AM
It took me a few tries just to get 4 stars the first time I played mercs. :eek:

When I play again, I'm going to try zero2dash's suggestion and shoot the legs first.

<]=)

Iscariot
Aug 21, 2007, 01:23 AM
It took me a few tries just to get 4 stars the first time I played mercs. :eek:

When I play again, I'm going to try zero2dash's suggestion and shoot the legs first.

<]=)

There are some great videos on YouTube of 5-star run throughs in Mercs. They're surprisingly helpful. Here's what I do:

1. Start the attempt by traversing the map collecting many/all of the time increase powerups, and this is important, without killing anyone, as kills spawn many of the minibosses. I also try to smash as many barrels as possible and pick up extra ammo/healing/grenades.

Farm: Collect all time extension
Castle: Collect first two
Military base: most
Waterworld: most

2. Find a good corner/spot

3. Kill

Leon: Use handgun as the enemies run towards you, aiming for head/legs to slow them down. When they get close, use the shotgun. Against bosses, shotgun their head at close range or nade/headshots. (Leon is the hardest to use due to relatively weak/short range weapons).

Wesker: Use the rifle, line up shots to take out multiple enemies.

Ada: Use the rifle, line up shots to take out multiple enemies.

Hunk: Use TMP to spray legs, throw grenade. Rinse and repeat. (I necksnap because it's fun, it's not the best way to do business).

Krauser: Krauser requires careful aim, but if your shots are true Krauser is the easiest to use as his arm can one-shot any mini boss.

All: if you're surrounded use headshot/legshot + kick to clear things out. Hang on to your flash grenades to flash/kick if you're surrounded.

5 star is a score of 60 000. If you can achieve a 40+ killspree, you've pretty much got it in the bag. If you collect all the powerups first, then you don't have to worry about killing and remaining mobile at the same time. Camp out near a door or change in elevation to force spawns once you've cleared out the first 30 or so guys.

JackAxe
Aug 21, 2007, 03:26 AM
Thanks. :)

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 21, 2007, 10:04 AM
JackAxe, watch Lorax86's vids.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=re4+lorax&so=0

He doesn't have the highest scores but watching his videos helped me go from struggling to get 10k to easily getting 60-70k every time with any character on any one of the 4 stages.

Just do what he does. ;)

Best advice I can give on Mercs...get all the time bonuses first, then grab a combo bonus (to start earning a high score on the 1st kill rather than the 10th), and then go crazy.

-Grenades work very very well.
-Leon sucks. :p

I rate Mercs characters as follows:
tie 1st - Wesker/Krauser. Wesker - thrust punch after a flash grenade, rely on weapons when necessary. dump the silencer on his pistol for the case space if you need it; pistol is a great headshot/1hit kill. I relied on his rifle a lot (even in somewhat crowded spots) Magnum for crowd control.

Krauser - start out with flash grenades then the double kick, use the bow only when all your grenades are gone or if you have the distance or need to keep a combo going.

3rd - Ada (even though her lifebar is weaker than $%@! and she takes damage like a mofo) very nice weapon selection. rely on the rifle 1st then the TMP. pistol as a last ditch.

4th - Hunk - grenade grenade grenade! tons of grenades are given to him. use 'em a lot. when you run out, TMP the enemies to death. (TMP is the only other weapon he has so there's always plenty of ammo.) Neck snap if you're daring, again though I don't bother with it. Neat attack, leaves you pretty open though.

5th - Leon - rely on the shotgun and grenades. pistol last ditch.

Once you unlock Wesker and Krauser you'll get really good at high scores and combos (especially with Krauser). His plaga claw/arm move is great for getting out of a pinch, killing the bosses, or as a last minute effort to keep a combo going.

One other huge thing worth mentioning...(well, two):

On the castle level, watch where Lorax goes and where he ends up. If you stay off the ground + 2nd floors of the castle, you will never see a Garrador (the boss on the castle level) - not once. (Assuming you don't open the doors at the very top of the castle which goes into a room with 2 Garradors. ;)) Normally the Garradors (after awhile), one will come running around a corner in a beeline straight for you, if you're on the ground floor (bottom of the stairs near the cannon where you start) or the 2nd floor. (On the 3rd floor you will never see one.)

On the waterworks stage - kill both Dr. Salvador X's first. (before you grab the time bonuses) It will give you a lot of breathing room because you won't be worried about getting your head chopped off by a free swinging chainsaw lunatic (or his brother). :D

Ok...one more.

Village - grab all the bonuses then go to the 2nd story of the barn and wait. knife or shoot thrown weapons, keep kicking the ladder down. When the room is nice and full of enemies (after about 30-40 seconds), grab the time bonus, shoot the barrel, jump down and run out the door and prepare for madness (enemies will start spawning everywhere). Your ears are your first warning that Bella Sisters are coming; watch out for them near windows because they will stick the chainsaw through a window and you can run into it and get your head chopped off. (It's happened to me more than once ;))

Again - watch Lorax's vids to see where he goes and what he does, it will help you a lot. :)

JackAxe
Aug 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks! :) He uses skill or something, that's cheating. :p

Just watching him play has me drifting towards my Wii right now. But must get of the internet and finish work.

<]=)

zero2dash
Aug 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
There are vids out there of one guy (can't remember his name, I think he's Japanese though), got like 330k on the Castle stage, no cheating.

It is possible on the Gamecube one to use the AR (action replay) to do different things, there have been cheater vids of those people but Lorax and the Japanese guy I'm thinking of - they don't cheat for their scores.

He makes it look soooooo easy too, that's what kills me. ;)

I think my high is like 115k on the Village with Wesker and around 110k on the Village with Krauser. Those two boys...tons of fun right there, so powerful, lots of high priority moves, deal out tons of damage.

Iscariot
Aug 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
There are vids out there of one guy (can't remember his name, I think he's Japanese though), got like 330k on the Castle stage, no cheating.

It is possible on the Gamecube one to use the AR (action replay) to do different things, there have been cheater vids of those people but Lorax and the Japanese guy I'm thinking of - they don't cheat for their scores.

He makes it look soooooo easy too, that's what kills me. ;)

I think my high is like 115k on the Village with Wesker and around 110k on the Village with Krauser. Those two boys...tons of fun right there, so powerful, lots of high priority moves, deal out tons of damage.

Krauser does a lot of damage, but he's too slow to finish all of the enemies before time is up. HUNK is my #1 choice for getting the job done. As soon as I unlocked mercenaries I five-starred the military base with Leon to unlock HUNK, and then proceeded to 5-star each of Hunk's levels in rapid succession.

I agree that Lorax isn't cheating. On my HUNK runthroughs, just trying to get 5-star and finish (so not getting all time upgrades) I scored 100k+ on castle and got in an ~80 neck snapping spree on village. I've started Krauser and brought in 110k on Castle, again not getting all time upgrades.

Hmm, now I'm thinking about trying for a "top score". All of my HUNK runs have been no-grenade neck-snap-only runs, shooting only the zealots with the masks. I'm going to see if I can clear the whole village in one spree :3

Speaking of making it look easy, a buddy came over after a concert on the weekend (we're night owls) and we played some RE. I was in the wrecking ball room on my first playthrough on the Wii (handguns only), and man did he get a kick out of me systematically clearing out the entire room by neatly suplexing each and every Ganados, all while controlling a room of 8-10 guys with headshots, kicks and legshots.

A little later I used a door to slam+suplex about 10 guys in a row :3

Iscariot
Aug 22, 2007, 06:30 AM
144k neck-snap-only spree, 149k use any means necessary spree, both on first try :3

edit: up to 159k, 98 max kills in a row spree

zero2dash
Aug 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
Krauser does a lot of damage, but he's too slow to finish all of the enemies before time is up.

I don't have this problem with anyone, let alone Krauser.

Usually by the time (no pun intended) that time's about to run out, enemies are still spawning but it's one here, one there (one or two at a time)...not a crowd.

Bow = 1 hit kill
grenades = 1 hit kill
claw = 1 hit kill (including every boss, +1 bonus point there)
double kick = 1 hit kill

Everything Krauser has (short of a knife swipe) is a 1 hit kill. He's the epitome of a killing machine. ;)

The only thing I don't like about Krauser is he's (apparently) left handed, so his aiming is oriented different than everyone else's and it takes a few minutes to get used to it. :)

Iscariot
Aug 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
...enemies are still spawning...

That's what I'm talking about — killing all 124 enemies in the time limit. Krauser is fantastic and the easiest/most powerful, but he's not quick enough to break 100 enemies most of the time. Usually I cap out at about 90-95 total with Krauser, even if I pick up all the bonus time.

Also, I've noticed that headshots aren't as effective on village. I don't know how many Ganados are running around there with a big honkin' arrow sticking out of their eye by the time I'm done.

I've only tried "top score" with Krausie and HUNK so far, and HUNK's speed gives him an edge. My Krauser scores are coming in at just over 100k+, whereas HUNK is batting in the 150K+ range. I haven't tried Ada or Weskie yet, and I'm not going to bother with Leon. I think Wesker might end up being the #1 scoring machine as he combines high power and speed at the cost of crowd control, which is something I'm proficient at anyways.

zero2dash
Aug 23, 2007, 10:06 AM
That's what I'm talking about — killing all 124 enemies in the time limit.

I believe enemies respawn infinitely in Mercs; there is no cap limit. :) (afaik)

Iscariot
Aug 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
I believe enemies respawn infinitely in Mercs; there is no cap limit. :) (afaik)

There's a limit of 124 on Village and Waterworld, don't know what it is for Castle and Military Base, but I'm assuming it's the same. After 124 kills, there are no more spawns. That's why there's no video of more than 124 kills!

Antares
Aug 24, 2007, 09:44 AM
You guys are hardcore. A group of totally not-zombie killing maniacs....:eek:

Iscariot
Aug 25, 2007, 04:24 AM
You guys are hardcore. A group of totally not-zombie killing maniacs....:eek:

Heh, thanks.

Actually, I don't have a lot of time for games, so I just make it a point to only play games I have an affinity for. RE4 is the only game I've gotten in to all year, and I've only played it through 4 times over the two years I've owned it.

edit: come to think of it, RE4 is the only game I have for the Wii, and I've got maybe 5 GC games.