Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
OK, I know that it is possible to run your Bootcamp partition in VMware and parallels.

However, if I have a fully functional Parallels install.. Is there ANY WAY to copy that over to a bootcamp partition???

I have NO current bootcamp partition, but my Parallels install is all updated and has all my stuff installed on it.....

Thanks..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
OK, I know that it is possible to run your Bootcamp partition in VMware and parallels.

However, if I have a fully functional Parallels install.. Is there ANY WAY to copy that over to a bootcamp partition???

I have NO current bootcamp partition, but my Parallels install is all updated and has all my stuff installed on it.....

Thanks..
I suppose you could use the following procedure (WARNING: You will almost certainly lose metadata associated with your Windows files if you do this.):
  1. Using Windows sharing or any other method you can think of, get your Parallels drive mounted on your Mac.
  2. Get your Bootcamp partition set up and mounted. Do NOT install Windows.
  3. Using Parallels Image Tool, create an ISO image of the parallels drive. (Note: You may get multiple access denied errors during this stage.)
  4. Mount the image you just created, and unmount your Parallels drive, as it's no longer needed.
  5. Copy the contents of the image to your Bootcamp partition.
  6. Attempt to boot Windows, and hope it works.

A better, though not free, solution is to use a dedicated imaging program like Norton Ghost to perform the copy process.

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
I suppose you could use the following procedure (WARNING: You will almost certainly lose metadata associated with your Windows files if you do this.):
  1. Using Windows sharing or any other method you can think of, get your Parallels drive mounted on your Mac.
  2. Get your Bootcamp partition set up and mounted. Do NOT install Windows.
  3. Using Parallels Image Tool, create an ISO image of the parallels drive. (Note: You may get multiple access denied errors during this stage.)
  4. Mount the image you just created, and unmount your Parallels drive, as it's no longer needed.
  5. Copy the contents of the image to your Bootcamp partition.
  6. Attempt to boot Windows, and hope it works.

A better, though not free, solution is to use a dedicated imaging program like Norton Ghost to perform the copy process.

I actually do own a copy of ghost... would this work with a virtual computer? I am sorry to sound ignorant, but I have NEVER really worked with Parallels or VMWare before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.