Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

can't say

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
My late 2005 PM 2x2.0 needs a faster graphic card. I called Apple and they told me, based on the serial #, that I have a PCI card. (This as a local store is trying to tell me that a x1900 will fit...)

Add to this, the fact that none of my local stores, or any stores within 100km have any ATI cards in stock...

Can someone please tell me what card(s) I need and will fit?

I am under the assumption that the X800 and the 9800 Pro are the only two. I need the card because I often have up to 20 images open for viewing and Photoshop work.

... then.... where can I find them online in stock!?

Thanks!

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Okay, you say you have a late 2005 PowerMac G5 so that's a Dual-core 2.0 and not a Dual Processor 2.0, right. Because there is a late 2005 PM Dual-core 2.0 and a early 2005 PM Dual-proc 2.0 and they have different graphics slots.

The late 2005 PowerMac G5 uses PCI-Express (PCIe) graphics slot so it can NOT use the Radeon 9800 or Radeon X800, those two cards are AGP. The only options you have are the Radeon X1900 G5 Mac Edition described here http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1900/RadeonX1900G5/index.html or the OEM Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT that Apple sold as a BTO option (since it's an OEM card, it'll be hard to find).

can't say

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Sorry for the misinfo, it's not that late: it IS a 2 chip G5, NOT dual core.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
For a dual processor G5, I believe that you should have an AGP card (here). If that's the case, you have a number of options. As Kosh66 said you can get a an ATI 800XT (sitting in my G5 at the moment) or the faster 850XT. NVIDIA also made some stellar cards including the 6800 GT and the 6800 Ultra.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Ok, so you have the PM G5 Dual-proc 2.0 which then means , Lovesong's list of cards is the correct list of Mac graphics cards for your PM G5.

The Radeon X850XT for the Mac might be hard to find since it's an OEM card and Apple never sold it as a separate upgrade kit. Also the Geforce 6800 Ultra and GT cards will support 2 Apple 30" displays (they have 2 dual-dvi ports) whereas the Radeon X800XT and X850XT only support 1 Apple 30" display (they have 1 dual-dvi port). All the cards will support 2 displays that are 20" - 24". The Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra and GT cards will block the PCI slot beside the AGP slot due to the size of the cooling system. The Radeon X800XT and Radeon X850XT only use the space of the AGP slot as they have a smaller cooling system.

can't say

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Yep, that's right now!

But where do I find one?????

Will they ever be made again??? (X800)

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Either that, or if you're good with following instructions and hacking, and own a PC, you can buy a PC AGP-based 7800GS card and flash it into a GeForce 7800 for the Mac.

Visit http://strangedogs.proboards40.com for help and info.

Or better yet, go to the Flashing WIKI for flashing info. From what I just read, the Strangedogs main site is on life support. Apparently, they got booted off their domain name and soon Proboards too. At least that's what they're saying.

Probobably has something to do with all the fraud over there as reported at MacLife

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Yep, that's right now!

But where do I find one?????

Will they ever be made again??? (X800)

You find any leads on this ever? I'm in the same boat. No one has it in stock (36+ days ETA) and ebay purchasing on used cards is higher priced than retail. I want to power a 30" display without having to buy a new mac pro.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
a bit older but available..

You find any leads on this ever? I'm in the same boat. No one has it in stock (36+ days ETA) and ebay purchasing on used cards is higher priced than retail. I want to power a 30" display without having to buy a new mac pro.

Compared to the other newer cards you would have also the option to go with the ATI Radeon 9600 256MB. It a bit older but you can run a 30" display on it without a problem. This card is available on macsales/OWC.
However it is AGP slot and runs on Powermac G4 and G5

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Hey People. Where are you from?

I ask because I have a perfect condition NVidia 6800 GT that I've just pulled from my liquid cooled G5 that is being replaced under Applecare. I'm in the UK and it's for sale in order to fund the purchase of an X1900 for my new Mac Pro. I also have 2 pairs of 400 MHz 1 GB RAM sticks with heatsinks, but that's another story...

*edit*

Having read about the X1900, I think I'll wait for a high-end NVidia to become available. Doesn't change the fact that my card is for sale, though.

CapnKev767

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Hawaii
ATI Radeon X800XT G5 Video Card BACKORDERED 8 Months!

Want to know what Video card your G5 will take?... go to

http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/

I have a G5 PCI-X (June 04 Model) and I have had an ATI X800XT G5 AGP video card on order with OWC for 5 months now! I ordered it because it had great reviews fairly reasonably priced, and has a DVI-D and a ADC port. (I have an older Apple 23" and an unuseable cinema 30") After numerous delivery delays (By ATI not OWC) and complaints from me.. here is OWC's reply...

Dear Kevin,

We're sending this e-mail to notify you, that the expected availability date
from ATI, for the fifth time, has been pushed back. Our own supply orders
for these MacEdition AGP Video Cards go back to October of last year and we
are increasingly concerned with ATI's shifting delivery advisories. The
latest information from ATI now suggests availability sometime towards
mid-July.

Up until recently, we had been given the firm expectation to have product to
complete your order in stock this week. That was still 2-3 weeks behind a
prior ETA commitment and over 6 months late from original 'promises' of
stock being available in late 2006.

It is very frustrating that the new ETA information comes out right at the
timing of when delivery would have been expected by the previous delivery
information given, but that is beyond our control. We can only share the
information best as provided and we can only guess why ATI has not met
delivery advisories, that they themselves have provided, for all this time.
With that in mind, until stock of this product physically arrives, no ETA
from ATI has much credibility at this point.

Although ETAs have been less than useful, there are signs of progress. Both
the MacEdition Radeon 9200 PCI and Radeon 9600 AGP video card models had
also been on backorder since last fall. The 9200 model returned to good
availability in March. The 9600 model we just began receiving this week with
confirmation of ample product in route returning this item to positive
availability again as well.

So, while ATI is taking an incredible amount of time getting each of the
different Mac model video cards available again, it has been happening. We
sincerely apologize for ATI's delays and any inconvenience this has caused.
We continue to share our extreme discontent with ATI while at the same time
being appreciative that they do continue to support our Macs with video card
upgrades.

You may review the other video card models as well as regularly updated ETAs
for the card you've ordered online here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/ATI-Videocards/

If there are other items on your order that you'd like to see ship sooner or
if you'd like to cancel or change all or part of your order, please feel
free to contact us at 800-275-4576 or electronically online:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/service_request.cfm

Thank you for being an OWC customer.

Other World Computing
http://www.macsales.com
800-275-4576

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.