Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A MacTechNews.de user report claims that iWork '06 shipments have been delayed until June 12th -- the day after the WWDC keynote.

Apple surprised many by not updating the iLife/iWork suites in January at Macworld San Francisco 2007. Many speculated that the next version of Apple's productivity software would incorporate features from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Interesting, but if iWork 07 is borrowing features from Leopard, then how could they ship it before Leopard which ships in October?
It may work great under Tiger but have extra Leopard functionality. I'm hoping the same is true of iLife. I've been waiting to upgrade my '05 since January when it didn't appear.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
It may work great under Tiger but have extra Leopard functionality. I'm hoping the same is true of iLife. I've been waiting to upgrade my '05 since January when it didn't appear.

Yeah... in that case they can reveal the secret Leopard functionality since we will know all the secrets of Leopard. I think its coming. No Leopard though. There is a lot of things in it, they need the time.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

A MacTechNews.de user report claims that iWork '06 shipments have been delayed until June 12th -- the day after the WWDC keynote.

Apple surprised many by not updating the iLife/iWork suites in January at Macworld San Francisco 2007. Many speculated that the next version of Apple's productivity software would incorporate features from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Shouldn't that read iWork/iLife 07?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
I'm sure it's a delay so they can announce that it'll also be on the iPhone, reading your Word and Excel docs.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

You aren't the only person in that boat my friend. I have been waiting to upgrade since I was impressed with iWork 06... but didn't want to spend the cash on an update every year. I hope that Apple skips naming it iWork and iLife 07 just for names sake since 07 is half over. Just call it 08...even if it has the same features. I am hoping for a true replacement of Word. I don't use word, but having a program more powerful than Word would be nice. Since 05 handles graphics much better than Word could ever handle, don't change it. Just make it work with less RAM and add the spreadsheet application for those that need it.

No...iWork '06 is the one being delayed, with the assumption being that it's being replaced by iWork '07.

I am really crossing my fingers for iWork 08 and iLife 08 and that Apple just stops selling the previous versions right after WWDC so everyone knows that it is coming out.

--OR--

Both software packages are offered with Leopard when it comes out. If Apple bundles productivity software with Leopard and kept the price the same or raised it a smidge (combine that with the supposedly breathtaking features of Leopard) then Apple will truly have an OS worth dumping many others for. I like were Linux based OSes are going but were is the direction, R&D, and brilliant mind to push the OS forward?

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
iWork...iLife...iWeb Pro?

That would be great having iWork '07, but I am really waiting for iLife 07. I heard a rumor about an iWeb Pro app? I would love to see a new iWeb. Steve Jobs recently mentioned "manking up for lost time" with the .Mac community. Any news on this?

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
the 07/06 things is upposed to be 06. translation:

they are not shipping any more new copies of old iwork06, until june 12th. which means that they wont ship 06 at all, they will just start shipping 08.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
???????

how can it be delayed when weve been using it for a year?:confused:

A Pittarelli is spot on. Apparently, if you place an order for iWork '06 right now, it will not be schedule to ship until June 12th. The implication is that they've halted all shipments of iWork '06 in anticipation of releasing iWork '07 in a week...anybody with a pending iWork '06 order will get bumped up to the new version.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hopefully. and no mention of iLife, which would make it seem even more plausible that it could be included with leopard.

either way i hope we hear news about iLife and iWork come WWDC, even if its just a short feature overview or something. i was so sad not to hear anything at MWSF

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Considering we were disappointed with the Leopard delay, I'm hoping Apple throws us a bone and at least gives us iWork next week.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
While I'd expect iLife to incorporate some Leopard features, I wouldn't anticipate the same with iWork. Have they shipped simultaneously in the past?
I wouldn't be surprised to see iWork soon enough.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Interesting, but if iWork 07 is borrowing features from Leopard, then how could they ship it before Leopard which ships in October?

Okay I'm gonna go way out on the Apple Tree limb on this one...

What are the major difference between Office and iWork?

- Missing Spreadsheet (Excel)
- Missing Database (Access)
- Missing Programming (VB for Applications - or whatever its called now)

Could it be possible that - the DB and Spreadsheet have been developed and now they are all connected (Pages, Keynote, DB, SS) via a really well thought out programming language? (perhaps available only with 10.5)

Yea I'd bet against this myself but it seems to be the only reason why they might have moved the announcement of iWork till WWDC.

Hmmm I sure like the idea... :)

Dave

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Shouldn't that read iWork/iLife 07?

Nope...

Store Owner: I'd like to put in an order for 5 boxes of iWork since I only have one left to sell...

Software Distributor: I'm sorry iWork seems to be backordered until June 12th - can we backorder this for you?

The reality is iWork 06 is (somewhere) listed as 'on backorder' - more stock on June 12th. Well, that is if we choose to believe this rumor... :)

The way to find out if this rumor has any basis in reality is to find out the 'Stock Level' of iLife/iWork at major (Apple) retailers and (more importantly) distributors. If they are all on the low end then perhaps this may have some truth to it.

Dave

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Pure speculation but I'd guess that we're going to lose the '06, '07, '08 tags and end up with "iWork Leopard" or something similar. It's embarrassingly late for '07, it's too early for '08, and also this would remove the obligation to update according to the calendar rather than according to when updates are needed and ready.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Okay I'm gonna go way out on the Apple Tree limb on this one...

What are the major difference between Office and iWork?

- Missing Spreadsheet (Excel)
- Missing Database (Access)
- Missing Programming (VB for Applications - or whatever its called now)

Well I'd imagine you should compare iWork to Mac Office. In that case, Mac Office has no Database and Office 2008 will have no VB for Applications. That just leaves the spreadsheet app, which pretty much everyone is expecting anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.