Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi There

My small business requires 3 user computers and 1 server. The server will only be for hosting FileMaker Server and the users will mostly be using FileMaker Pro 8.5, e-mail and internet. I have 3 old MacMinis (pre-Intel, 512mb Ram). I also have 3 x G4 PowerMacs (I will use one for the server) and 4 Apple 20" LCD Monitors.

As I have the monitors I am reluctant to purchase three new 20" iMacs. Does anyone here know how FileMaker will perform with this setup? I don't require the best performance, yet I do not want "sluggish" behaviour either. Thanks.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
The mini's should be fine, although more RAM is always better.

As for the PowerMacs, it really depends on the specs.

Before you discount getting iMacs .... I didn't think that the Mini's had ADC ports .... so if you've got the old "easel" displays you could be in trouble.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
My department uses Intel Mac minis for office work and FileMaker 8. We need to wait until we get another site license purchase until we go to more then likely Filemaker 9.

It's still responsive via Rosetta. Just make sure to get as much RAM as you can.

fenner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2005
Cape Town, South Africa
Thanks for the replies.

The monitors are Apple's new 20" Cinema Displays. The PowerMac is the silver-door 1.25Ghz model with 1.5Gb ram - this will be the FMP8 server. The mac minis are G4 PowerPC 1.25Ghz/512Mb/40GB HD/Combo and will run FMP 8.5. I think this should be OK. If Apple brings out a mid-range tower then I will upgrade then.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
The Mini will do fine with anything that falls into the basic computing category. Pop some more RAM in and you'll have great multi-tasking as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.