Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shumster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
I'm responsible for editing video of rugby games as an analysis tool for the coaching staff - with time being of the essence, I'm trying to evaluate different ways of getting video onto the system as quickly as possible.

We currently video two games - our own team game and the opposition for next week. I can do the analysis of our own team live, as the video is being streamed directly onto the laptop (Macbook). I then transfer the various clips to iDVD. With only one laptop, I then have to wait until that's all finished before I can import the footage of the opposition.

Are HDD camcorders able to download footage onto a computer faster than real-time (which is what the limitation with our DV based cameras is now)? I just want to get the footage onto the computer as fast as possible, so that I can analyse it.

Couple of other queries related to all this:
1. Is there a setting on HDD camcorders NOT to compress the video (I believe they compress using MPEG2 now - correct me if wrong) - the better the quality of the footage, the better the quality of my analysis
2. Is the quality comparable to DV?

Thanks

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The standard def HDD cameras produce an inferior image compared to DV, and none of them are Mac friendly. You have to transcode the footage from MPEG2 into DV to work w/it on your Mac.

Lethal

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
there are firewire HD options for miniDV cams. I use a firestore 40 gig external drive with my sony HD cam. I edit in avid, but you can do it in final cut as well. Instant access, you can edit right off the drive.

shumster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
there are firewire HD options for miniDV cams. I use a firestore 40 gig external drive with my sony HD cam. I edit in avid, but you can do it in final cut as well. Instant access, you can edit right off the drive.

Thanks for this - So I can set a DV camera to output directly to a firewire HDD? I'll definitely have to check that in my camera's settings. But the firewire (iLink) port on Sony camera's is 4 pin, so will the drive require an external power source, as this could be difficult out on the rugby field?

I should be getting the Sony HDR-HC5 (Hi-def) camera. Would you know if that option is available on that camera? And does it have firewire port on board or through a docking station (which sadly seems to be the way Sony are going these days)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks for this - So I can set a DV camera to output directly to a firewire HDD? I'll definitely have to check that in my camera's settings. But the firewire (iLink) port on Sony camera's is 4 pin, so will the drive require an external power source, as this could be difficult out on the rugby field?

I should be getting the Sony HDR-HC5 (Hi-def) camera. Would you know if that option is available on that camera? And does it have firewire port on board or through a docking station (which sadly seems to be the way Sony are going these days)

The company that makes the FireStore brand external recorders is called Focus Enhancements and the drives are battery powered.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.