PDA

View Full Version : This is why I am switching

cwedl
Jul 2, 2003, 11:34 AM
Every Switch story I have heard begins with

"My PC crashes all the time"

"My PC crashed every second"

I Have been using PCS all my life and yes I am switching. But my PC rarely crashes in fact I can't remember the last time it crashed.

So why am I switching, Because I like the look of apple computers.
The operating System looks Good, and is every easy to use
The IApps look really good and I have used them

But most importantly

I want to open the lid of my laptop, do my studying, check my e-mails and then close the lid

Not

open the lid of my laptop, turn on the computer, plug it to the mains because of its poor battery life, do my studying check my e-mails, get side tracked talking to friends on MSN etc

Even though I know you can do this on a mac laptop, I don't want to do this, I don't want to spend all my time on computers, I want to enjoy my time at university and spend more time in the gym.

matthew24
Jul 2, 2003, 12:25 PM
You could have a thousand reasons to switch, anyway: WELCOME from all of us.

celaurie
Jul 2, 2003, 12:47 PM
Who cares what the reasons are!

Welcome to the light!

solvs
Jul 2, 2003, 12:53 PM
When they say "crashing" they could mean all sorts of different things. My Mom used to say the computer we had "crashed" all the time, but she could have meant it froze, or a program crashed, or it wouldn't shut down, etc. Plus a lot of people are still using Win9x.

Consider yourself lucky, though. I "crash" my PC all the time.

bbarnhart
Jul 2, 2003, 01:55 PM
Friends and family are always asking me to "fix" their PC. Usually, they've installed coutless programs (their desktops are full of shortcut icons) and are running a dozen or so system enhancement apps (those things that have icons on the very right side of the task bar. Their hard drive are nearly full and or they only have 64 MB of RAM. Then I have to explain about virtual memory and swapping and organizing their files.

A lot of this would apply to Macs as well except that everyone I know who owns a Mac knows their way around a computer.

MacManDan
Jul 2, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by cwedl
I Have been using PCS all my life and yes I am switching. But my PC rarely crashes in fact I can't remember the last time it crashed.

So why am I switching, Because I like the look of apple computers.
The operating System looks Good, and is every easy to use
The IApps look really good and I have used them

But most importantly

I want to open the lid of my laptop, do my studying, check my e-mails and then close the lid

I actually switched for the same reason.. My PC was pretty stable (although it took quite a bit of work to keep it that way), but I found that I got sick of its mundane looks and it just became generally unappealing. :(
Bad thing is .. when I got my Mac, I loved it so much I couldn't just close the lid and do something else! It looks and works great and it just keeps pulling me back.

Maybe I should switch back to a Windows PC so I can be bored again and get out more often ;) :cool: heh

BlackICE
Jul 2, 2003, 03:02 PM
Seems to me the only reason to switch is for looks, especially when looking at the apple site, where they compair apple to like windows 95...

The Mac ... Just Works , And PC's dont?

It doesnt crash , When was the lasting XP SP1 crashed.

Simple the best in digital music , I have to admit the Ipod is a very nice peice of kit, expensive for a MP3 player but nice. Although it also works on PC.

The missing link in digital photography , Dont see how this is any different from the PC, although not as many digital cameras work on mac.

Your own digital entertainment centre , iMovie , iDVD hmm Windows Media Player.

Goes everywhere you go , Well doesnt a laptop to? Check out the Dell Latitudes if you want small laptops.

It's built for the internet , although you can use most the prog's you download. And whats wrong with the PC and the Internet.

Office is Office and then some , What makes me laugh is they are talking about Microsoft Office....

Works effortlessly with PC's , So does a PC ;)

It's Beautiful , Well I thought this was the only advantage the mac has, but ive seen some stunning PC's you can buy.

These are the 10 reasons apple give to convince you to spend an extra 500 and get a mac. I know you guys wont agree but...

No thanks

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 2, 2003, 03:13 PM
Mac is the best system, period. Ease of use, iapps, I love iphoto, simplicity of the mac is its strength and with the new g5 come on. What is going to touch it???? Apple Has had the Best software, and now hardware.

BlackICE
Jul 2, 2003, 03:22 PM
with the new g5 come on. What is going to touch it????

Maybe the Intel Pentium 3? hehe

Geez macs are good for work but nothing else. I mean someone made a PC emulator for mac and all you guys use it. So why didnt they make a mac emulator for PC?

MacManDan
Jul 2, 2003, 03:26 PM
I'm with Don't Hurt Me on this one. PCs are nice, but nothing more than that. Apple computers are durable (look at many people still running their OLD classic Macs), powerful and easy to use. A lot of attention to detail goes into them (their hardware and software) and it's the subtle stuff that counts, it really makes a difference. Sure, you could be happy with a PC, but that "$500" is what makes the computing experience worthwhile.. As many people on this site have said, "you get what you pay for". :)

agreenster
Jul 2, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by BlackICE

What are you talking about? Ive never seen Windows Media Player edit digital video or burn a DVD...!?!?!

Again, what are you talking about?

the future
Jul 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
Geez macs are good for work but nothing else. I mean someone made a PC emulator for mac and all you guys use it. So why didnt they make a mac emulator for PC?

If you think really hard about this you may come up with an answer yourself...

BTW you should for example check out the details of Panther (aka Mac OS X 10.3). It may give you an idea or two on why Windows just doesn't cut it for us.

BlackICE
Jul 2, 2003, 03:36 PM
Windows movie maker, or to burn DVD's theres Nero, Alcohol 120% and more.

I would like a Mac cause they look cool especially the powerbooks, but i cant really see what i can do more on a mac. I mean like i said Macs are great at working, but so is my laptop i mean running a word processing package like Word Xp pro isnt exactly processor intensive. And also i ment £500 maybe more. I cant remember but a top of the range dell lappy you can get for around 1800 - 2000 a starting model 17" powerbook starts at £2500, and i cant justify that for a dumbed down PC.

rueyeet
Jul 2, 2003, 03:43 PM
I'd been looking at the Mac side a while before switching--OS X (finally, a real and decent GUI over Unix!) and my brother-in-law's sexy TiBook were tempting, but not quite convincing.

Then I tried upgrading my IBM ThinkPad from Windows ME (which is the most unstable Windows in the 9.x series) to Windows 2000, and Win 2K just would NOT deal with the soundcard no matter how many drivers and patches I applied. After about three evenings spent raising my blood pressure, I said THAT'S IT! And bought my TiBook, with AirPort and iPod to go with it.

Yes, Apple's exaggerating the case a bit on their switcher page. Both platforms accomplish basically the same things in very similar ways. But I've found that the Mac makes me actually look forward to time on my computer, makes me want to explore more. I want to try Konfabulator. I want a digital camera. I want to try setting up a PVR system and a mailserver. I want to get into Unix more. I look forward to updates from Apple 'cause they've almost always got something neat and new added. My computer isn't a billboard for the products of corporate partners every time I install software or bring up a page in the default browser. I miss not having more time with my computer. I won't even get started on my iPod. :D

In short, there's more to it than either form or function. And function is really the only area where I feel the Wintel side is equivalent.

As ever, your mileage may vary. :)

BlackICE
Jul 2, 2003, 03:48 PM
huh?

But I've found that the Mac makes me actually look forward to time on my computer, makes me want to explore more.

OMG you sound like christian (AKA cwedl)

patrick0brien
Jul 2, 2003, 04:04 PM
i cant justify that for a dumbed down PC.

-BlackICE

Clearly you need to spend more time on a Mac. If you did, you wouldn't make comments like this, and you'd understand rueyeet's remark.

Unlike a PC, a Mac is far more than the sum of the parts. The OS alone is good, the Hardware is good, the software is good, but put them together, and you get an experience, not just another user session.

Please work on broadening your horizons a bit.

cwedl
Jul 3, 2003, 11:07 AM
This sounds like one of my workmates, called steven, I believe it is him because firstly how did he know my name is Christian?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28729

This is who I was talking about in this post a few weeks ago.

He doesn't own a mac, he never will, He is what you call a Microsoft Addict, He wants to marry Bill Gates, I'm sure of that.

He also registered yesterday, that was he founf out about macrumors.com.

So steven you are named and shamed.

Guys don't listen to what he is saying he is purely trying to wind you up!!

patrick0brien
Jul 3, 2003, 11:42 AM
-cwedl

I remember that thread. Ahh, small world.

Hmm. I hope he can open his mind a little. I can respect opinion and decisions when they're based on an informed basis, but the language BlackICE used the mark of a closed mind, and deserves little respect. But we mac users are used to it. Remember, we live in a Windows world, so Mac users tend to understand both operating systems, and therefore tend to be informed.

A question that most uninformed Windows users tend to not even think of, is "If Mac users understand both operating systems, why use a Mac? What is is about the Mac that garners such loyalty?"

There's got to be a reason. Nothing happens without some motivation.

Jimong5
Jul 3, 2003, 11:50 AM

You know why there is no mac emulator? Because a CISC(x86) Processor is less technologically advanced and cannot emulate RISC (PPC) Code. That is also the reason you will not find a Nintendo Gamecube emulator for Windows either. The PPC is able to interpret X86 code, but the opposite is not true. And the Powerbook G5 is coming. care to sho me a 64 bit PC notebook anytime soon?

rueyeet
Jul 3, 2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
A question that most uninformed Windows users tend to not even think of, is "If Mac users understand both operating systems, why use a Mac? What is is about the Mac that garners such loyalty?"

That's exactly it. And those who can't tell the difference, will never know the difference, and to them, the difference will never matter. It's like fine wines, or gourmet food: If someone's palate can't percieve a distinction between the two, they'll never see the point. If someone has no sense of pitch, they'll never know when they're singing off key.

And of course, no one will ever be able to explain it to them, either.

Vive la difference! (yes, yes: imagine the accents. ;) )

tazo
Jul 6, 2003, 01:11 AM
i liked how he compared like a 14'' laptop latitude to a 17'' dell. the latitude doesnt have the firewire (i think), has a smaller screen, definitely no dvd burner, none of the iApps.

Of course a bigger screen, more add ons, and a dvd burner are going to cost more :rolleyes:

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 6, 2003, 10:51 AM
It has firewire, dont think you can get dvd burner standard but you can preorder them through dell.

-- your talkin about latitude... soz

I cant see the point of macs because a PC/laptop can do erverything the mac can do, and more. And macs are generally more expensive? also you are very limited with hardware upgrades.

King Cobra
Jul 6, 2003, 11:25 AM
I think it's time to bring out the antizealot brigade again.

Before that happens, I have to agree on the hardware, with the exception of the G5 and IBM. The G5 is a step ladder for hardcore hardware support. Motorola does real nice in putting out $350 cell phones (one of which I have) and not providing excess hardware support for Macs.

Also, if I want gaming performance, if I don't want a G5 (which I think is unintelligent) I'll get a $500 PC.

>I cant see the point of macs because a PC/laptop can do erverything the mac can do, and more. And macs are generally more expensive? (WifeOfBillGates)

Explain "more expensive". That can be used in several different ways. The addition of PC repair prices, phone service, and additional services in terms of prices to a cheap PC is more than the average Mac, plus repair services, phone service, and additional services, because Macs require less repair.

Software is a key element with Apple and Macs. When was the last time an audio mp3 desktop player encoded AAC quickly for no charge? Can PC apps compete in the stability of iTunes, or perhaps the stability of OS 10.2.x?

But, in the end, Macs and PCs each have leading peaks in specific areas.

It depends on what you do most with a computer that makes you feel like either Macs or PCs are better. But I'll be damned if you constantly operate your main computer for purposes in which every advantage goes to only one side.

Horrortaxi
Jul 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
Seems to me the only reason to switch is for looks
Looks are just the cherry on top.

The Mac ... Just Works , And PC's dont?
NO, THEY DON'T! I was a PC user for a long time--from DOS to Windows XP. I was good too--I could get Windows to do pretty much what I wanted it to to. Not always well, but I could coerce Windows into making things happen. The first thing that impressed me about the Mac is that things just work right the first time 99% of the time. No registry hack or voodoo needed.

It doesnt crash , When was the lasting XP SP1 crashed.
XP is the most stable version of Windows. If you've used Windows for a long time it's godhead. That's Windows though. I crashed XP way more than I crash OS X--and I do a lot more on OS X.

The missing link in digital photography , Dont see how this is any different from the PC, although not as many digital cameras work on mac.
Where do you get this from? I'll bet that if you plugged a bunch of random digital cameras into a Mac it would work with at least 90% of them.

There is no comparison at all. Let me get my own personal issue out of the way--none of the iApps report back to the mothership about what I'm listening to or whether my apps have valid serial numbers. Okay, with that out of the way--WMP will not play DVDs or rip mp3s without buying a 3rd party app for at least $20. XP doesn't come with anything to author DVDs. As for editing digital video with WMP--you can get your video off the camera and do some basic editing. It doesn't come close to iMovie in that respect. WMP is a joke.

And whats wrong with the PC and the Internet.
Spyware, viruses, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express.

Office is Office and then some , What makes me laugh is they are talking about Microsoft Office....

Ironic, isn't it? MS Office is actually better on the Mac. I love it. By the way, weren't Word and Excel on the Mac first?

Works effortlessly with PC's , So does a PC ;)
I can network a PC and a Mac a lot easier than I can network 2 PCs.

These are the 10 reasons apple give to convince you to spend an extra 500 and get a mac. I know you guys wont agree but...

And you probably won't agree with anything we say either. We'll have to agree to disagree...or wage a holy war. They can't market a feeling, unfortunately. You don't realize or undersand most of the really good things about a Mac until you have one.

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 15, 2003, 12:47 PM
The addition of PC repair prices, phone service, and additional services in terms of prices to a cheap PC is more than the average Mac, plus repair services, phone service, and additional services, because Macs require less repair.

Ive never had to pay for PC service charges, ive had 3 PC's and my laptop. Ive spend around 2000 on my laptop and nothing else.

if you plugged a bunch of random digital cameras into a Mac it would work with at least 90% of them.

Whereas 99% would work in a PC. Believe me ive tried literally hundreds of camcorders and cameras. Well about 90.

Spyware, viruses

So you never ever ever get any of these on macs? Besides only dumbarses download viruses. Your not a dumbarse are you?

I can network a PC and a Mac a lot easier than I can network 2 PCs.

Yes because plugging one ethenet cable from one PC to another is so hard(!)

vniow
Jul 15, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I think it's time to bring out the antizealot brigade again.

Seconded.

Originally posted by WifeOfBillGates

So you never ever ever get any of these on macs? Besides only dumbarses download viruses. Your not a dumbarse are you?

That's because spyware and viruses for Macs don't exist for the most part, not because all people who download viruses are dumbasses...

And then you have to configure the network, wait for it to finish, decide your settings, restart, wait for botup and hope everything worked right, on OSX you plug in the cable to both computers, hit cmd-K on one of them, select the computer you want to connect to and input your username and password.
That's just for sharing files though, to connect to most networks you just plug the damn thing in, very little to configure...

patrick0brien
Jul 15, 2003, 01:04 PM
-WifeOfBillGates

Hmm. You sound an awful lot like BlackICE. I also noticed you registered after cwedl remark about how he feels that BlackICE is the type to marry BillyG. -interesting.

As for your comments above, you clearly need more experience. Though on one point, HorrorTaxi left out a key detail with the"I'll bet that if you plugged a bunch of random digital cameras into a Mac it would work with at least 90% of them." comment. I'd like to amend his statement to read: "I'll bet that if you plugged a bunch of random digital cameras into a Mac it would work with at least 90% of them without drivers."

Get yourself to an Apple Store equivalent, go with a coworker who understands your concerns and Macs. Immerse yourself, and try to open your mind when you do it. We Mac users live in a Windows world, yet there is clearly something about Macs that keeps us coming back. What is it about the Mac platform that causes this?

Answering that question is something you should try to answer, instead of coming dangerously close to looking like you are attemping insults to those who have more experience than you.

Rower_CPU
Jul 15, 2003, 02:26 PM
WifeOfBillGates is posting from the same IP address as BlackICE did. Take that for what you will...

Here's a warning up front: If you do what you did before your IP will be banned.

King Cobra
Jul 15, 2003, 07:14 PM
Glad you could rejoin the troops, V.

>Ive never had to pay for PC service charges, ive had 3 PC's and my laptop. Ive spend around 2000 on my laptop and nothing else. (WifeOfBillGates)

I've also had three Macs, and none of them have required payment repair (except for S&H). (There was one problem with my Cube I couldn't figure out at first, but it was just an improper hookup of the monitor and audio equipment.)

>Whereas 99% would work in a PC. Believe me ive tried literally hundreds of camcorders and cameras. Well about 90.

Read patrick0brien's comment.

Also, do the same for about 90% of your printers, CD-RWs, and DVD-RWs: Plug them right in.

>So you never ever ever get any [viruses] on macs?

My father did about a year and a half ago, but I don't think he ever opened any attachments to do so.

>Besides only dumbarses download viruses.

Considering there are more PC virus plagues than Mac virus plagues (Code-red from last July, another recent expodition 2002-2003, more Macs than PCs were untouched from those events), I wonder what that makes a considerbale portion of PC users and a small portion of Mac users.

And, yes, my father is a dumbarse. :D

>Your not a dumbarse are you?

Nope. And I'm not going to say anything to j--x it. :D

>Yes because plugging one ethenet cable from one PC to another is so hard(!) (WifeOfBillGates)

>And then you have to configure the network, wait for it to finish, decide your settings, restart, wait for botup and hope everything worked right, on OSX you plug in the cable to both computers, hit cmd-K on one of them, select the computer you want to connect to and input your username and password.

I think that is considered confirmation of the Wife's statement (!)

Horrortaxi
Jul 15, 2003, 07:18 PM
Whereas 99% would work in a PC. Believe me ive tried literally hundreds of camcorders and cameras. Well about 90.

90 is not literally hundreds, fyi. It's figuratively hundreds. They're opposites. Sorry to be a pain. Anyway, yes they might work--but without drivers? Remember, we're talking about how Apple stuff "just works".

No, we just about never get these on Macs. There are Mac viruses out there but they're not common. I don't even know someone who knows someone who knows someone who had one. Nobody wants to waste their writing for such a small market share. Like I always say, 5% market share is a good thing.

As for downloading them, sure if you knew what you were getting you'd be stupid to download it. That's why they're disguised. I get them in email every day and I don't have any choice about that. I don't open attachments and it wouldn't matter if I did, but you don't have to be a dumbass to get one.

I'm quite good at plugging things in. It's the configuring so that the computers can share files that I'm talking about. I'm not talking about plugging in your cable modem.

Horrortaxi
Jul 15, 2003, 07:22 PM
edit: I posted before reading the later posts and seeing that everything I said had been posted. I wasn't redundant on purpose.

Mav451
Jul 16, 2003, 12:46 AM
I dunno, but i see a big problem in many of the arguments from both sides. Both generalize alot. From browsing these forums, i repeatedly get the impression that Mac users think that all PC users are uninformed idiots. Frankly, i try to be as unbiased as possible, but i see this over and over again, and it drives me away from even considering becoming a switcher.

Likewise, i wouldn't echo Black ICE's comments either, trolling doesn't lead to a good discussion.

In the first page, PC's are generalized as requiring "extras" to work, as requiring the additional phone bills in tech support, or in "upgrades". I would have believed this to be true back when I used 98...but under XP, i don't agree with it at all.

Also i see that they generalize XP as requiring "voodoo" or registry hacks to get it to "work". It really is not that hard to get rid of the unnecessary services (a few clicks, and yes your so-called "registry hack" which is just a basic registry entry that takes a few seconds to apply). The difference between the platforms is the XP can be tweaked, and Mac OSX doesn't "need" to be tweaked to "work"--that's what the general message feels like.

As a PC user/power user, I had a love/hate relationship with the tweakability of PC's (through BIOS, registry hacks, etc.). They can greatly affect your system performance-wise and stability-wise (go up or go down), but it takes a great amount of technical knowledge and background to do this.

Heh, i have to comment on my experiences with "plug and play" usb devices in XP. In 98, it was incredibly finnicky and with the "switch" commericials going on, especially the infamous "i saved xmas", i was interested in how XP would handle it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that XP automatically installed the appropriate drivers and then loaded the pictures i had taken in my Digicam. DEFINITELY a leap from the dark days of 98 and installing drivers w/o rollback. I didn't even touch the CD that came with the digicam (probably year and half outdated).

On networking, i have to agree that the hassle of 98 was pretty bad when setting up a network--you ALWAYS had to restart upon changing a setting. With XP i didn't install any home networking program to get my cable modem to work--quite a change from installing the finicky "Linksys @ home, blah blah blah" networking software (that ultimately didn't work that well anyway).

MarkCollette
Jul 16, 2003, 02:43 AM
I recently priced out the kind of PC I would want. It came out to $1,200 CDN. So, if Apple sold a 2GHz CPU + 512MB RAM + 40GB HDD box for that price, then I would consider it. Maybe add $200 for all the software that comes with it. This would require them making a low end box which doesn't tie the display in. I've seen rumors about this, but no substantiation.

Or, if the lowest end iBook had a 1.5GHz G4 processor in it, instead of the 800MHz G3, then that would be sufficient too. This will just require time to pass. Unfortunately that's looking like a year, which may well mean that 1.5 GHz just won't cut it then, as newre, more cutting edge apps come out.

WifeOfBillGates
Jul 16, 2003, 06:39 PM
My old laptop i plug it into my PC and it says, "YeeeeeeHe youve plugged me in to a PC", Then i open the shared folder and im away. Alot of you people seem to compair the latest mac OS to windows 95/98, and year ME sucks to, but you have to admit XP is a huge improvement on the old ones (not when it got released TBH).

King Cobra
Jul 16, 2003, 08:20 PM
Mrs. BillGates, i.e. BlackICE, I'm sure nobody here gives a rats flaming rectal lacuna about what your PC does when you plug it into another PC. This is a Mac site, not a PC user's diary.

If you want to spend your time telling us about how your old PC went "YeeeeeeHe" when it got port-jacked with a cable, then do it on a PC board, not a Mac board.

And why the hell would we compare OS X ("the latest mac OS") to Win 95/98? Windows 95 was a software that worked for the keyboard and the mouse but needed significant improvement. Newer software improved onward (with the exception of M.E.).

The Classic OS improved with Steve Jobs, not with the 2D System 7 Woz had in mind. It improved slightly with OS 9. It improved dramatically with 10.2, and it will only get better with 10.3.

Mrs. Gates, I would suggest that you spend more time behind Macs before you try to sound impressive with your claimed knowledge about Macs.

patrick0brien
Jul 16, 2003, 10:49 PM
-All

Y'know, this is interesting: I just got sent the Klez virus.

I'm still laughing.

electric
Jul 16, 2003, 11:46 PM
When I was young, my elders would say "just ignore him, he will go away"

perhaps this is the best form of a Zen type of antizealot brigade

Why Mac{
Because I love my F%$#'n computer;
}

beg_ne
Jul 17, 2003, 12:39 AM

Unless you are atleast somewhat tech savvy and check up on the latest(daily) security updates for windows then you are basically SOL if you are the average PC user. Outlook Express is little more than a virus installation program in the disguise of a Mail Application. Those poor people dont even have to open their email to get the virus thanks to M$'s great work with their "preview pane" feature.

Yes, lets not forget about installing drivers/software for the networking device, restarting, and setting up all the network settings. I mean atleast they could put all the necessary networking options in the same place (IE. Workgroup being in the "Systems Properties" window instead of with the rest of the networking options).

And quite frankly you must not have much experience working with windows networks. I've had to troubleshoot and setup a number of networks as part of my job and most networks tend to have a mix of Win2k, XP Pro and XP Home, if not a 98/ME machine. And trust me those are far from *just plugging it in*. M$ cant even seem to keep things consistent between XP Home and XP Pro let alone any of their other OS's.

It's clear you have little to no experience with Mac and about the same with PC's(which i would guess numbers to about 2; your personal PC and your work or dad's pc).

Mac has brought me nothing but joy everyday for the last 9 months I've had my iBook. And it will be even better when I replace my homebuilt PC with a G5.

solvs
Jul 17, 2003, 08:15 AM
I'd say please don't feed the trolls, but sometimes it's too hard not to. At least it isn't as bad as MacCentral has become. Their forums are riddled with them. That's why I come here. Not because I'm a Mac zealot who won't listen to tales from the other side (I have owned and operated many Wintel systems), but because I prefer Apples over PCs. But that's just me.

That being said, WifeOfBillGates or BlackIce (a great firewall product BTW, needed if you own a PC because of the systems inherent security flaws) or whatever you call yourself, I'm very happy for you and your wonderful computers. If you haven't had any problems with them, good for you. You are a very lucky person, but within the minority.

Perhaps you would like to hear my tales of PC woes. Hardware and software. I'm sure you'd love to say it's user error, but based on what you've said so far, I bet you anything that I know way more about computers than you do. Especially since I know about both PCs and Macs, which BTW are computers, whether you think so or not.

Not that your opinions matter to me very much, especially since you think you can just connect 2 PCs together with a network cable and have a network (I think you missed a couple of steps).

Hopefully you can get a life before you get your @$$ banned again.

Captnroger
Jul 17, 2003, 08:36 AM
So, um, back on topic, did you switch or not? What did you buy?

KillerB
Jul 29, 2003, 01:01 AM
My old laptop i plug it into my PC and it says, "YeeeeeeHe youve plugged me in to a PC", Then i open the shared folder and im away. Alot of you people seem to compair the latest mac OS to windows 95/98, and year ME sucks to, but you have to admit XP is a huge improvement on the old ones (not when it got released TBH).

This is my first post, so please be kind. I've worked with PC's all my life and switched to MAC late last year. I've always connected two PCs together with a cross-over cable and it seems to work well if the network settings are set up correctly.

What completely blew me away was when I successfully connected my new ibook to my PC with a NORMAL patch cable, not a cross-over. Apparently the ibook automatically swithces polarity and uses a normal cable as a cross-over. this is not in the manual, or a hyped-up feature of the MAC, just a clever little feature that defines the MAC experience.

Just my 2c.

K.

King Cobra
Jul 29, 2003, 06:09 AM
-->What completely blew me away was when I successfully connected my new ibook to my PC with a NORMAL patch cable, not a cross-over. Apparently the ibook automatically swithces polarity and uses a normal cable as a cross-over. this is not in the manual, or a hyped-up feature of the MAC, just a clever little feature that defines the MAC experience.

Mac, not MAC.

Mac is an abbreviation for Macintosh, not an initialization, such as Personal Computer.

When I tried to connect my two most used Macs together with a standard ethernet Cat5e cable, I could not get a working connection.

Interestingly enough, this is not the case for certain iBook. A quick Google search yielded these results:

http://www.omnigroup.com (http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-admin/2003-June/030845.html)

Actually, with a modern mac (i.e. gigabit ethernet), crossover and patch cables can be used interchangeably in all situations (Mac to PC, ac to Mac, Mac to Hub), however I don't believe that the iBook has gigabit ethernet, so [you] will need a crossover cable.

http://www.atpm.com/6.07/networking.shtml?print (http://www.atpm.com/6.07/networking.shtml?print)

If youíre using an Ethernet crossover cable to connect a single Mac and PC, itíll look like Figure 2.

http://www.atpm.com/6.07/images/network-guru-figure-2.gif

If your connection isnít working, here are some things to check:

If you're not using a hub you must use a crossover cable. Crossover cables are labeled as such, although straight-through cables may not be (since they're "normal").

So, basically, I'm surprised that you got the connection working without the reversed cable. Unless you were using a hub, then you would have had to use the reversed cable.

I would like to add that the Mac experience doesn't seem to end. Even after using Macs for over 10 years I still keep learning about OS X and the applications with it, perhaps faster than I learned older versions of Apple's software.

You'll keep learning the experience right on through the upcoming major update to OS X, Panther. Just don't get too used to the Aqua/pinstripe interface. :)

e-coli
Jul 29, 2003, 07:55 AM
Besides only dumbarses download viruses. Your not a dumbarse are you?

Oh yeah...all viruses are clearly marked as such, filed alphabetically under VirusesForDownload. :rolleyes:

And, no. I have never had a virus on my Mac (as of yet in 6 years).