PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Displays

utilizer
Jul 2, 2003, 12:23 PM
What do you guys think about using a plasma screen as a monitor? Since I'm facing a wall anyways, what would be the disadvantages of having that as a main display?

I'm particularly interested in the Cornea Systems 42" plasma display. TIA!

edesignuk
Jul 2, 2003, 01:00 PM
I would say not a good idea, I have a 43" Pioneer Plasma (PDP-433HDE if your interested) which sports True XGA resultion (1280x768@60Hz) :D, and it's nice to use as a 2nd display with games, DivX movies etc. But I would not want to use it for general use, e-mail, surfing, photoshop blah blah.
If you have the cash to buy a Plasma screen though, then I would imagine you could spare a couple hundred $//whatever on a decent 19/21" CRT for day to day work, and then get the Plasma aswell, then you can have the best of both worlds ;)

Wes
Jul 2, 2003, 01:11 PM
I bought the same screen as edesign (I had it before :p.) Here it what it's like hooked up to the Mac.

Wes
Jul 2, 2003, 01:13 PM
Whoops

jxyama
Jul 2, 2003, 01:26 PM
plasma would be nice... but there are some disadvantages, compared to lcd.

1) increased power consumption
2) increased cost

i'd wait until the lcd technology advances to enable production of larger sized display...

(or win a lottery. :D)

btw, awesome picture in the previous post!!

primalman
Jul 2, 2003, 01:30 PM
I have often thought of getting one of those multi-projection wrap around things, with the curved wall. push the highest rez with 3 video cards, holy cow. It would be like being in War Games, but only better. LOL!