PDA

View Full Version : Still Love that quicksilver

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 2, 2003, 02:08 PM
Well please dont hate me, i think the new machines ( G-5 ) are awesome, but afterthinking about it i could not part with my shorter yet stylish looking quicksilver so i opted for a 1.467 G4 mercury extreme upgrade from owc. I have a gig of memory and didnt want to start over, i also have a geforce3 and my 733 was not able to feed it if you will. Well now i will be able to feed that card. Maybe another 512 of memory for christmas and i'll have it maxed out. The styling or lack of it in the g5 and cost, and the investment in my machine that i didnt want to walk away from. I should say this, through os9, and all those newer os10's my quicksilver has never let me down, and even after 2 strikes of lightning knocking out my eithernet ( which i now use a card in the pci slot thank you) this mac just keeps going. So if i can get another year or more out of my trusty old companion ill be happy. Yes i am a mac gamer please don't hate me. Apple does make the best computers.

MacManDan
Jul 2, 2003, 02:35 PM
Good for you! Just because the newest and the best is out doesn't mean you have to jump for it right away. You are letting you Mac do what it was designed to do .. run and look its best for many many years! :D

That's even pretty impressive about the lightning..Must be a tough little machine :p

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 2, 2003, 02:43 PM
It has been, in fact i could hear the lightning Boom and then the circuits frying my machine( well sort of ) anyways i have had it clocked up to 800 for 6 months and no problems, but with new games etc iam wanting more so am hoping the 1.5 g4 will give it to me. the single 1.4 is matching the performance of dual 1.2's and exceeding in some benchmarks.

evildead
Jul 2, 2003, 02:47 PM
I have a 867 Quicksliver and Im still very happy with it. I have 1.5GB ram and 2 IBM 60GB 7200 RPM drives. I was thinking of getting one of those dual G4 upgrade kits but.... its fast enuph for me for now. Maybe Ill wait a while, upgrade to a dual G4 and then when I get sick of that, get a G5..... But.. then again... the G5 is pretty nice.

When I had my Rev A bondi Blue 233 iMac, I upgraded it to a 466 G3 with 192MB RAM. It was a great computer for me for a long time. I gave it to my girlfriend a while ago to turn her into a MacHead... but we broke up and my iMac is still there at her place... unsuported :(

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
I wanted a 867 with the l3 but all i could muster was the 733 without. The Quicksilver has been not only a great looking machine but expandable one. If i didnt have the pci slots and had gone with an imac like i wanted i would have been screwed. Thank god they were deliverying new quicksilvers when i walked into the store. Anyone who can afford the powermac, G4, G5 i say get one.

iEric
Jul 3, 2003, 11:52 PM
I have the DP 1 ghz, the mirror drive ones...I love that design..i dont think i'll change it for the next 3 years...
and i only use common apps. dont need the g5 for...

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 4, 2003, 03:06 PM
If you have a dual 1 gig mdd you should be good to go for a awhile, nice machine. I really wanted a g5 but the top model was to much and the base 2 have crappy video cards, my geforce 3 will still smoke a fx5200 card. At least you have a cool looking computer, the new ones are downright ugly and would have thought apple could do better. The cube- cool as can be, the new imac stylish and still as neat looking as a computer can be. The G5......well i think all the work went into performance which is good but that is the ugliest mac in years. The pro's wont care, the consumer will. It swayed my decision to upgrade rather then a new machine.