PDA

View Full Version : Giant sea creature baffles Chilean scientists

medea
Jul 2, 2003, 02:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americas/07/02/chile.science.reut/index.html
Chilean scientists were baffled on Tuesday by a huge, gelatinous sea creature found washed up on the southern Pacific coast and were seeking international help identifying the mystery specimen.
The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long (12-meter) mass of decomposing lumpy grey flesh apparently was an invertebrate.

"We'd never before seen such a strange specimen, We don't know if it might be a giant squid that is missing some of its parts or maybe it's a new species," said Elsa Cabrera, director of the Center for Cetacean Conservation in Santiago.
Photographs showed a round leathery substance like a mammoth jelly fish, about as long as a school bus.

Giant squid live at a depth of 9,500 feet (3,000 meters) and only rise to the surface when they die. Specimens have been known to be as long as 60 feet (18 meters).
There was speculation that the mass might be a whale skin, but Cabrera said it was too big and did not have the right texture or smell.
Cabrera said she was contacting Chilean and international organizations in the hope that they could help shed some light on the find.
The Chilean Navy first spotted the mystery specimen along with another large mass, but the other dead animal turned out to be a dead humpback whale.

They also state in a caption the weight is apx 13 tons.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 02:44 PM
This is quite amazing. Although I think it might be one of those huge squid - the ones bigger than the giant squid.

That thing is huge, regardless...and they'll know if its a new species once they do some genetic tests.

I was watching the discovery channel the other day and a they had a more recent show on about the giant squid. Seems as though the mating grounds are near New Zealand and that one researcher actually captured a live, tiny, baby giant squid - no more than a 1 cm long.

D

medea
Jul 2, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
This is quite amazing. Although I think it might be one of those huge squid - the ones bigger than the giant squid.

D
You're thinking of the Colossal Squid's, which it could end up being, though why would it be missing all of it's tentacles? I'd think the tentacles would surface up nearby as well but not neccesarily. Seems like it could be some form of jelly fish, if so that would be amazing. Odd thing is that they found that dead whale nearby, if it is a squid maybe it attacked the whate.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 2, 2003, 03:01 PM
Well if a sperm whale had a bite or two that might be why its missing some tentacles - also, there's no knowing when it died, maybe something ate some of it before it washed ashore.

Anyway, I'll be watching this and look forward to finding out what it is.

D

sonofslim
Jul 2, 2003, 03:20 PM
oh! so THAT'S where i left that!

hvfsl
Jul 2, 2003, 03:21 PM
I expect it is something totally new, since there are lots of creatives in the sea that are being discovered all the time.

jayscheuerle
Jul 2, 2003, 03:30 PM
Speculation of a giant octopus?

Looks like afterbirth to me... :eek:

Pete_Hoover
Jul 2, 2003, 04:30 PM
Very cool story. I can't wait to hear an update on this.

medea
Jul 2, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Speculation of a giant octopus?

Looks like afterbirth to me... :eek:
So you think it's a giant placenta? that's highly possible, but kinda gross....might be considered a delicacy..... ;)

or as duke stated it could have been a fight between the squid and whale, sort of like a mini godzilla movie only both creatures died in the brawl.....heh.

mactastic
Jul 2, 2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by medea
There was speculation that the mass might be a whale skin, but Cabrera said it was too big and did not have the right texture or smell.

Smell?? Yuck

Wonder how many people in the world have the expertise necessary to distinguish the smell of a whale skin from the smell of some other skin?

boskie
Jul 2, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by medea

or as duke stated it could have been a fight between the squid and whale, sort of like a mini godzilla movie only both creatures died in the brawl.....heh.

Sounds like a new James Cameron movie, all you need is some underwater cameras and he's away;)

jbomber
Jul 2, 2003, 05:24 PM
All i can say, is i can't wait to eat one.... :D

(in best Homer voice): mmmm... colossal squid......

howard
Jul 2, 2003, 05:35 PM
shows how little we really do know about the deep depths of the sea...wonder what else is lurking down there

Das
Jul 2, 2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by howard
shows how little we really do know about the deep depths of the sea...wonder what else is lurking down there

No, no, science knows everything. I'm sure it's just a weather ballon.

mymemory
Jul 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
It looks like some one trowed down the toilet a DDD size silicon implant.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 2, 2003, 06:46 PM
Hard to say except that the seas are a lot greater in mass then the land, could be a lot out there still undiscovered., now think about space. we have scratched about millionth of the surface. maybe thats way to liberal , how about a millionth of a millionth of a millionth of this galaxy and not even. do you see how far we have to go.?

wdlove
Jul 2, 2003, 07:06 PM
It sounds like an amazing find. Continues to show just how much we don't know. Please keep us updated on this story.

tazo
Jul 2, 2003, 07:15 PM
wow thats incredible. I look forward to hearing more about this story. keep us posted!

sparkleytone
Jul 2, 2003, 07:22 PM
this planet is just extraordinary. i find it quite ironic that we know more about space than we do of our own ocean and the abundance of life it shelters.

iJon
Jul 2, 2003, 08:10 PM
man that thing would scare the s*** out of me if i saw that. thats really cool though, i cant for an update.

iJon

topicolo
Jul 2, 2003, 11:11 PM
So that's where they dumped the waste from Rosanne Barr's liposuction...:D

mymemory
Jul 3, 2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by iJon
man that thing would scare the s*** out of me if i saw that. thats really cool though, i cant for an update.

iJon

That is why I do not like scubadiving... if I ever see something like that at 3 feet from me you will see my skin living me behind just like in the cartoons! I would die over and over again in the same place if that stuff show up infront of me.

Just imagine to be swiming at night in the ocean and feeling something touching you feets under water... just imagine that you have a flashlight and just occur you point it under the water and you see that stuff under your feets... damn! you will see me like a torpedo strait to the moon.

Durandal7
Jul 3, 2003, 12:58 AM
Humans have only been to a small part of the ocean. In all likelihood at least %80 of the species in the oceans have been classified.

jbomber
Jul 3, 2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Das
No, no, science knows everything. I'm sure it's just a weather ballon.

Lemme guess, a weather balloon that was killed by a lone gunman, right?

colocolo
Jul 3, 2003, 07:45 AM
Turns out it is an octopuss.. a really BIG one.

Only graphical evidence of this species prior to this finding dates from 1896

http://diario.elmercurio.com/ciencia_y_tecnologia/mas/noticias/2003/7/3/347090.htm?id=347090

Mr. Anderson
Jul 3, 2003, 07:50 AM
Yeah, seems as though they're waiting on some DNA testing - there was another giant octopus found in Florida in the 1890s! Talk about rare........

Where's Jules Verne when you need him.....:D

D

FriarTuck
Jul 3, 2003, 09:36 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet... Could that thing be Nemo?

jayscheuerle
Jul 3, 2003, 09:49 AM
King Neptune's lugie?

mcrain
Jul 3, 2003, 10:06 AM
The military rarely speaks about their nuclear submarines or high end Aegis cruisers, and they speak even less about the sonar domes on those ships. In fact, they rarely ever show them or pictures of them, but I saw a show about the giant squids, and they had an interview with a Navy guy who was talking about how on occassion, they find squid "claws" and sucker damage on the sonar domes of the subs and occassionally the ships. I thought that was fascinating that a squid might have the moxie to attack a ship as large as a nuclear submarine!

jayscheuerle
Jul 3, 2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
I thought that was fascinating that a squid might have the moxie to attack a ship as large as a nuclear submarine!

Maybe it was a female looking for a mate!

:eek:

topicolo
Jul 10, 2003, 12:11 AM
Can't mess with a giant, floating, metal dildo :)

jbomber
Jul 10, 2003, 12:25 AM
The military rarely speaks about their nuclear submarines or high end Aegis cruisers, and they speak even less about the sonar domes on those ships. In fact, they rarely ever show them or pictures of them, but I saw a show about the giant squids, and they had an interview with a Navy guy who was talking about how on occassion, they find squid "claws" and sucker damage on the sonar domes of the subs and occassionally the ships. I thought that was fascinating that a squid might have the moxie to attack a ship as large as a nuclear submarine!

that

is

cool

as

hell!

:eek:

Wardofsky
Jul 10, 2003, 02:09 AM
This was on the news a while ago but still is really interesting.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_286217,00040001.htm

There really are some amazing creatures, I honestly could not believe my eyes.

Here are some of the images:

Wardofsky
Jul 10, 2003, 02:17 AM
Oh BTW, this is from the NORFANZ sea expodition.

Wardofsky
Jul 10, 2003, 02:26 AM
The finned octopus:

MacBandit
Jul 10, 2003, 02:27 AM

I'll have to ask my dad about that. He was in the Nuclear Sub program in the 60's when it was just starting. When he was in school the Thresher sank (One of the first Nukies) and they came in and asked the class if anyone wanted out because of it. He stayed.

One of the hypothesis about Giant squid is they hook on to large whales for transportation. It could just be that they look at the sub as another form of transport. Also I would highly doubt that something as large as a giant squid could get anywhere near a modern sub without them knowing it. They are probably just unable to speak of it as the accuracy of sub sonar is highly secretive as is everything else about them. My dad after being out for 30 years just recently started speaking to me about some of the things they did as apparently some of the stuff has been declassified.