PDA

View Full Version : i'm switching

plinkoman
Jul 2, 2003, 04:12 PM
hello

a little over a year ago i blew $2000 on the parts to build my 2200MHz P4 system, and it was the fastest pc i had ever used. then 3 weeks later my brothers 700MHz iMac comes in, i played with it a little, and it completely blew my computer away. my computer ran well for a few months, then i had the first major crash, lost all my data, for no good reason. then i got another few good months out of it, and i got another major crash, and lost all my data, again, for no good reason, both situations i merely tried to turn it on. so my next genious idea was to put linux on it. ran better then it ever did before, except it wasn't compatable with any of my stuff. so since it is a dual boot with mandrake and xp, i find my self using xp the most because i can't do anything on linux. amazingly, i have yet to get another major crash, but every 10 minutes it finds a way to screw something up.

i pretty much decided to switch the moment i first sat down at my brothers iMac, but i just always assumed i'd keep this one for awhile, and maybe just get an iBook or something to go with it. but after all of that fun i just got done rambling about, i'm never using a pc again. i'm selling this and buying my brothers iMac(he's getting a powerbook), and when powerbook G5 comes out i'm gonna get one of those too.

my only question i guess is about vpc. i read in another thread right here that 98 performs the best, so i'll probably get that, but i was wondering how well it can run games, because thats about 75% of why i want it to begin with, and if it can't play games very well, then i would need to reconsider buying it[vpc] or not.

patrick0brien
Jul 2, 2003, 04:20 PM
-plinkoman

Well, gaming through VPC is so bad it's practially a contradiction in terms.

If you hinge you switch on gaming, that's a tough sell.

However, there are many games available for the Mac natively. How about you poke around on Apple's site and other game manufacturer to see if there is a native version before you make your decision.

Yes, there are more games for PC, but Macs usually get the best of breed of those. This could be a non-issue.

MacManDan
Jul 2, 2003, 04:21 PM
VPC is great for compatibility with easy-on-the-processor Windows programs (small database apps and the like), but if you want to play any sort of modern game, you won't get any kind of decent performance with VPC. I've heard of some people playing games from years ago with success, but as many will tell you, don't even bother to try .. it's just too slow.

plinkoman
Jul 2, 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
If you hinge you switch on gaming, that's a tough sell.

no, i meant my decision to buy vpc is based mostly on that, i'm switching one way or another

patrick0brien
Jul 2, 2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by plinkoman
no, i meant my decision to buy vpc is based mostly on that, i'm switching one way or another

-plinkoman

Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I'd say don't bother with VPC at all. But at least you have the option of using the Mac, then deciding later as well.