Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
UK
When you are helping someone with their Mac the attachment size limitation can make it very difficult for them to post a screenshot that can actually be uploaded. For example a screenshot of my iMacs screen right now comes to 436kb which is way over the limit, and my desktop is fairly boring (it has the Apple default background, as well as this post). I've also hit the issue when screenshotting a website or something.

Now as a someone with 3200 posts who knows quite a bit about computers I know that I can load it up in Preview, change the type to jpeg, and fiddle with the quality slider until it is under the 250kb limit, and then it works fine, but that's fairly difficult for the typical person who needs help.

Would it be possible/practical to increase the limit to 500kb? Alternatively could we have some automatic software built into the file uploader to automatically convert the .png to a .jpg and shrink down the screenshot to fit the current attachment limit?

Thoughts?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I usually just suggest they use Cmd-Shft-4 and drag or Cmd-Shft-4 and the space bar. Those usually end up under the current limit and it my (limited) experience it's very rare that we actually need to see the entire screen.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I usually just suggest they use Cmd-Shft-4 and drag or Cmd-Shft-4 and the space bar. Those usually end up under the current limit and it my (limited) experience it's very rare that we actually need to see the entire screen.
Yes. On the rare occasion that I attempt to help an MRer (not 'cause I'm unwilling, but because I know very little), I've most certainly used the apple+shift+4 to take partial screenshots.

Not only does it fit the attachment size, but it's easier for people to "zoom in" on the problem area.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
The thing is that this doesn't always help get it under the attachment limit.
Hmm. I guess I have a hard time imagining a situation when you'd need to take a huge screenshot that would be > than the alloted size.

Picture 4.png

Even on the rare occasion when I've found a file to be too large to upload (like, say for a desktop thread), it's just that-- rare and it doesn't kill me to use another site (like ImageShack/ PhotoBucket/ Flickr/ DeviantArt, etc.) instead.

:eek: Plus, people post insanely huge images as it is.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Hmm. I guess I have a hard time imagining a situation when you'd need to take a huge screenshot that would be > than the alloted size.

View attachment 76019

Even on the rare occasion when I've found a file to be too large to upload (like, say for a desktop thread), it's just that-- rare and it doesn't kill me to use another site (like ImageShack/ PhotoBucket/ Flickr/ DeviantArt, etc.) instead.

:eek:

agreed.
there are plenty of other sites to host it on if needed, if not its easy enough to take a small snapshot of the important screen

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just make it the default then. Compressing only takes a few more seconds of work. I wouldn't use Preview to compress either.

But I think Eraserhead's issue is having newbies or relatively computer illiterate people shrink their screenshots (I just took a shot of my iPhoto window and it came up three times the file maximum).

It's not that they can't do the extra steps, but explaining the how and why of compressing screenshots to them when they are already frustrated with their computer's behavior.

Maybe the easiest workaround is bookmarking the Guide on taking screenshots to post when suggesting that those in distress need to take one and maybe editing that wiki with information on how to best compress the files.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Just make it the default then.

Apple aren't going to change the default screenshot type in OS X to accommodate MR ;).

Compressing only takes a few more seconds of work. I wouldn't use Preview to compress either.

What would you suggest using instead? It needs to be included on all Macs really.

I think Eraserhead should write a Guide about this.

Well seeing as pretty much all the posters disagree with me this is probably the best solution. The link is here.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Apple aren't going to change the default screenshot type in OS X to accommodate MR ;).

I believe he meant to use something like TinkerTool or the Terminal command to change the default screenshot type.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Yes, but you don't want to tell a newbie looking for help that they need to download Tinkertool or fiddle with Terminal just to take a screenshot of their problem.

The guide entry seems like a reasonable solution.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
can't one use preview to save as a jpeg and lower the file size.... it wors for me when i want to post a screen shot

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, that's a good workaround but I think the topic was brought up because sometimes the newbies in the troubleshooting forums don't know how to do this and explaining it to them simply adds to the rigmarole involved when telling them how to change an icon and rename their hard drive to :apple:.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What I would like to see is an approximate filesize indicator on the JPEG compression slider. That'd reduce the trial and error required when compressing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.