Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone is coming on June 29th, and surprisingly few details have been leaked about the phone itself, beyond the original specs described in January.

We've obtained the official list of specs that Apple lists for the upcoming device.
• System requirements
  - Mac or PC
  - iTunes 7
  - Internet access is required, and a broadband connection is recommended
  - Mac: Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later
  - PC: Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2)
• External Controls
  - Volume Up / Down
  - Ringer / Silent
  - Power / Lock
  - Sleep / Wake
  - Menu Button
• Dimensions
  - 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
• Weight 4.8 ounces / 125 grams
• Input Method - Multi-touch
• Operating System - OS X
• Screen size - 3.5 inches
• Screen resolution - 320 x 480 at 160 ppi
• Storage - 4GB or 8GB
• GSM - Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
• Wireless data
  - Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
• Camera - 2.0 megapixels
• Battery
  - Lithium
  - Up to 5 hours - Talk / Video / Browsing
  - Up to 16 hours - Audio playback
(Battery life varies by use)
• Connectors and other input & output
  - 30 pin iPod connector
  - 3.5mm jack includes audio and mic support
  - SIM tray
  - Built-in speaker
  - Built-in microphone

Most of the specs are no surprise, but it does lay to rest some recent rumors that the iPhone would lack a SIM tray.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
5 hour talk time is pretty standard. Im not too bothered by it, but i sure cant wait till this beast comes out :D

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
trying to convince the wife while typing this response...
you guys wish me luck!!

Haha. Good luck man. She'll give, because after all, who can't, just gaze at its elegant screen and youll get lost in its beauty.

WillGonz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Now, don't go complaining about the battery life. Someone will come out with a battery Mod. Also you can just about bet the farm that someone will come out with an external doodad that will charge the battery with a little clip on thing.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Now, don't go complaining about the battery life. Someone will come out with a battery Mod. Also you can just about bet the farm that someone will come out with an external doodad that will charge the battery with a little clip on thing.

A battery mod? How could someone make a battery "mod" and there already are 30pin iPod chargers.

yeah but could be "build in" considering that AT&T is supposed to be one and only provider for years to come......

Yeah thinking about it 5 years is a bloody long time, I will be in University or Collage, Ah scary! (I am only a youngen :D 13 Years old, but don't treat my like a kid! I like teach my ICT teacher ICT)

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Will it be supported on Panther 10.3.9 too? Just a thought. Also, will there be FireWire support too?

The specs state 10.4.8 or later.

The specs look pretty good to me. I would be hard pressed to find another phone that gives you 8 GB of storage, for example. Only when we can actually use the phone will we know if the interface and functionality is everything that the hype has promised.

hofer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Not Vista?

According to the list, it works only with Windows XP Home and Professional Editions. That wil tick off a few Vista users!

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Meh. They could have upped the storage...really. Since the announcement flash prices have halved.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Ha! You know it's a mac afficionado forum when 10 comments in to it there is no mention that Vista is left off of the System Reqs.:)

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
The specs state 10.4.8 or later.

The specs look pretty good to me. I would be hard pressed to find another phone that gives you 8 GB of storage, for example. Only when we can actually use the phone will we know if the interface and functionality is everything that the hype has promised.

Its also hard to find a phone that is an iPod too.

That's my only complaint about the iPhone. Otherwise it's a wonderful device.

Yeah so it now means I have to slow my AEBS Network down if I can ever afford an iPhone!

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Does it vibrate? or is there just a ringer and silent option.

Well I would hope to say that 'silent' implied for 'vibrate'... After all if silent simply turned off the ringer then what would be the difference between 'silent' and 'off'? :confused:

Dave

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
SIM Tray?

I thought Steve put that rumor to rest at Macworld?

511280334_2401d8610a_o.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.