PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my powermac g5 and its ram

kjs862
Jun 8, 2007, 05:19 PM
For some reason out of nowhere my computer isn't recognizing its entire ram. My computer has a pair of 1GB sticks and 2 pairs of 256mb sticks, for a total of 3GB ram. Out of the blue the computer is only showing 2.5 gb ram. I tried changing the order of the ram and nothing has happened. I had 3gb registered for over a year without any problems. Any suggestions?

Best,
Ken

dartzorichalcos
Jun 8, 2007, 06:09 PM
Try running the hardware test from the install disc. See what results come up from the test.

CanadaRAM
Jun 8, 2007, 06:57 PM
For some reason out of nowhere my computer isn't recognizing its entire ram. My computer has a pair of 1GB sticks and 2 pairs of 256mb sticks, for a total of 3GB ram. Out of the blue the computer is only showing 2.5 gb ram. I tried changing the order of the ram and nothing has happened. I had 3gb registered for over a year without any problems. Any suggestions?

Best,
Ken

You haven't told us in which order -- they have to be installed in matching pairs.

Perhaps one stick of 256 has gone defective, taking itself and its mate out of circulation.

System Profiler should tell you how much is in each Ram socket, so that you can isolate the problem.

If it is reputable 3rd party RAM and one has failed, then there should be no problem getting it replaced under warranty. If it is Apple RAM and you didn't buy extended Applecare, then... notsolucky.