Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
As of late I have been looking for a decent digital camera for under 200$. I have had little success in getting a solid answer. I have been reccomended six camera so far.

What do you guys say?

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
I just got a Powershot A570 IS for graduation, about 2 days before I was going to go out and buy one myself. Good timing. They can be had for around 200 bucks, and I'm very happy with mine. Has good automatic settings for point and shoot and a nice variety of manual options like shutter speed.

Pricegrabber has some places you can get it cheap.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
A free one.:)

Now really, I am partial to anything canon, as that is what I grew up on. There are quite a few for under $200. I feel they are kind of low on features compared to other brands, but the lenses are top of the line. What it comes down to anyway is how good the pictures look, and for the most part, you can't complain when it comes to canon.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Pentax or Panasonic probably make the best bang for the buck camera, at least in your price range.

Any model of Pentax is good, especially the t-series cameras.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
A free one.:)

Now really, I am partial to anything canon, as that is what I grew up on. There are quite a few for under $200. I feel they are kind of low on features compared to other brands, but the lenses are top of the line. What it comes down to anyway is how good the pictures look, and for the most part, you can't complain when it comes to canon.

I can. Just sold all my Canon stuff going back 35 years.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
As of late I have been looking for a decent digital camera for under 200$. I have had little success in getting a solid answer. I have been reccomended six camera so far.

What do you guys say?

When you ask the question as you did the answer you get is that everyone will tell you that they like whatever they happen to have. Not a useful answer as you've found out.

To get a useful answer you have to ask very specific questions and say what it is you are looking for (other then "under $200")

For example do you care to control the f-stops or flash mode. Macro ability? do you care about size. What about the lens? What will you do with the image files. Make prints (wat size) or use them on the web or on a HDTV. What do you want and what don't you care about.

What if I asked you "what automobile should I buy for under $20K?" Would be hard to give a meaningful answer.

canonwire

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina

What do you guys say?

Really depends on your intentions. Are you looking for something ultra compact? something with DSLR like manual controls? Zoom?

Etc etc...

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Really depends on your intentions. Are you looking for something ultra compact? something with DSLR like manual controls? Zoom?

Etc etc...

For under $200, any of those things you mention are really difficult to find.

What you will get is a basic P&S with a 3x - maybe 4x - optical zoom and a 7MP sensor. There are a few that have rechargeable batteries under $200. The Casio EX-Z75 and Sony W55 are also in your range.

The Fuji A900 is 9MP with IS and a 4x optical zoom, but uses AAs. Olympus has the FE-230 that looks pretty nice as well.

If I were looking for a sub-$200 camera, I would get the Lumix LZ7 which has 7MP, 6x optical zoom and IS. The only thing I do not like about it is the AA batteries, but they are cheap and you can always get rechargeables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.