Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Minneapolis.
I'm a first time poster - and while I've had Apples all my life, I'm not skilled in my lingo, so stay with me on this. :p

Okay, so I've had my little iBook G4 for the past two-three years and now it's dying. It's my little friend, and I've mourned it the last week or two the problems presented themselves.

It's been a really great computer, I can't complain. It put up with my dirty fingers, dog-haired beds, World of Warcraft and Pzizz addictions, many trips to the bathtub, my dirty man-on-man mpeg library, etc. etc.

But now it's dying. Or dead. It's like moaning. It's an awful sound and it breaks my :apple:-shaped heart. And besides that, now I've gone to shaking it like I'm giving a kid S.I.Ds just to power it. [Anyone have a guess to what's going on? haha]

And while this week has sucked not having a functional laptop on-top of fruitless income, someone great [Grammy!] offered me a loan of sorts and I've a MacBook coming to be with me forever - or until I kill it! Yay.

This is what I got:
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 8x
No Modem
No Optional Software
Keyboard/Mac OS
Country Kit

I have no idea if this is good or not. I also got the upgraded something for $150.-, maybe it was memory? Plus, the Nano/printer deal.

So, did I upgrade? I can imagine my old iBook was the lowest grade and this is like the medium, so should I expect more from this laptop then the one I have dying in my bedroom at the moment?

Oh, if anyone can brunette bimbo terms, you're a friend for life.

Many thanks to suffering through this newbie post!
K.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Yes, this will be screaming fast compared to your iBook (and the RAM, which allows speed and multiple programs to be open an the same time, will probably be bigger than in your iBook).

You will also be able to run Windows if you want to...

iKatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Minneapolis.
Yes, this will be screaming fast compared to your iBook (and the RAM, which allows speed and multiple programs to be open an the same time, will probably be bigger than in your iBook).

You will also be able to run Windows if you want to...

Thank you so much for your reply! I was certain that it would be faster - just not sure if I would be able to notice it or not. If that makes sense. Yeah, I'm really bad at saying what I'm . . trying . . to . .

but, the added inch looks great. I've heard about the "glossy" finish to to the monitor screen . . I don't know that I'm going to dig it, but once it's on, I'm hoping it won't be as noticeable.

I'm pretty anti-windows, myself, but that may have an advantage down the road. You know, play some Zwinkys or something . . haha!

k.

Awe, thanks so much, Dartz. I'm antsy to get it! :eek:

Retired
May 16, 2006
Look out for this symbol:
universallogod254c.gif

Only two really major programs (and some games) don't have it yet, Microsoft Office and Photoshop Elements, but without it, programs could run a little sluggisly (still faster than your iBook).

If you need an office suite, I recommend the free NeoOffice, at least until the next Microsoft Office comes out, hopefully in the coming months :)

iKatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Minneapolis.
I'm pretty low maintenance, Mac-wise.

I download a few hundred songs before I shuffle them off to CDs / iPods or delete them. I play some games [lame, old skool ones], eh . . . e-mail, chat, pretty basic, disappointing stuff.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
That's an awesome machine, and it will fly compared to the long suffering iBook G4. The 2 Gb RAM is good. I am assuming you have broadband and don't need a dialup modem. Your only challenge is going to be installing software. It will run the OSX programs you installed on the iBook, but NOT the OS9 programs that you may have had there running under Classic.

(I'm going to guess a dead or dying hard drive on the iBook, possible to fix with a new drive, but thats what you DON'T want to hear right now you lucky so and so...;) )

iKatey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Minneapolis.
Thanks a lot to you both!

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with iBook, like I said. But it could very well be the hardrive - that's a better guess than I could give.

The noise is coming from the left side, near to where the little vent is. It's funny because the computer will work almost flawlessly until the grinding, groaning sound . . and then it's almost paused until I tip it upside down or shake it like a back-up dancer.

*Oh, does anyone know if I will be able to transfer my iTunes, and other downloaded music to my new computer? I tried to add some songs from my friend's iMac and it erased my Nano's contents. That would stink to loose two iPods worth of music! :confused:

k.

Retired
May 16, 2006
*Oh, does anyone know if I will be able to transfer my iTunes, and other downloaded music to my new computer? I tried to add some songs from my friend's iMac and it erased my Nano's contents. That would stink to loose two iPods worth of music! :confused:

k.

Your machine will come with a Migration Assistant, and connecting the two (preferably with an Ethernet cable) will make the process easy...

ALSO: Please don't repost threads, if they're in the wrong forum, they'll get moved by moderators...

fBaran

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2003
Your machine will come with a Migration Assistant, and connecting the two (preferably with an Ethernet cable) will make the process easy...

ALSO: Please don't repost threads, if they're in the wrong forum, they'll get moved by moderators...

Preferably with a FireWire cable. I believe if you went with an Ethernet cable you'd need a crossover.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
No Games!

Um, it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned this, but I don't think you will be able to play World of Warcraft on the Macbook. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, which means the performance will be awful.

To get dedicated graphics, you have to spend twice as much on a Macbook Pro. :(

Retired
May 16, 2006
Um, it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned this, but I don't think you will be able to play World of Warcraft on the Macbook. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, which means the performance will be awful.

To get dedicated graphics, you have to spend twice as much on a Macbook Pro. :(

That's not true, you can play it, but not with great framerates. As iKatey previously had an iBook, I think WoW performance could increase :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I vote for using an ethernet cable or setting up a quick network with your ibook-macbook

in terms of WoW, you'd get around 11-15fps, because thats what I get on my Macbook.

Enjoy your new Mac!!!

Retired
May 16, 2006
I vote for using an ethernet cable or setting up a quick network with your ibook-macbook

in terms of WoW, you'd get around 11-15fps, because thats what I get on my Macbook.

iKatey's processor and RAM specs are better than yours though...

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I'm in a similar position. ibook 14" 933. The max allowable 640mb
of ram is constraining with too many tabs open browsing etc.

Visited huge new Apple store in Austin today. We now have 2. It was
really cool. Saw new MBP's-had like 8 on display/hard not to buy one.

Will wait for Leopard if my 3.5 yr old ibook stays alive.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Sorry to hear about your iBook's illness, and congrats on your MacBook purchase! I know it will be a huge jump for you and that you'll enjoy it.

FWIW my nearly three year old G4 iBook, with a 1.07ghz processor and 40g hd recently gave up the ghost. Rather than tell the whole story here, here's a link to my wonderfully positive experience in getting the iBook repaired. It might be worth fixing it in order to sell it, or pass it on to a family member.

Good luck, and we hope to see you posting a bit more around here. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.