Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which image is better

• Total voters

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi everyone,
I shot a bit today in a neat nature preserve tucked right into the campus of a community college on the Northwest side of Chicago. Who knew such a thing existed?! Anyway, I didn't get anything great, but I suppose I liked these two shots. I figured it'd be good to get some C&C on the MR photo board. Anyway, I'd like to know which version you guys and gals like the best.
Thanks,
wmmk

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I like the top one more, but I am not too happy with either crop: too much negative space. There is also a warm color cast in my monitor.

Nice though.:)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I like the bottom better. The flowers in the top in the foreground are kind of distracting. If the the camera was a bit higher so the flowers didnt take up the whole bottom half of the frame, it would be better.

raptor96

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
RI
I like the bottom but both as stated above are really 'busy' and don't allow the eye to move in a pleasing way. Consider finding more isolated subjects or orienting the camera such that there are fewer objects in the foreground (i.e. a busy bkgd with flowers can be fine but a busy foreground + busy bkgd is not so nice). Nice images though, all that being said. Good luck!

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
It's always nice to find places like that where you can experiment a bit.

Both are good - I prefer the bottom one, as I find it's often better to have more of the foreground interest in focus...I might have cropped it square to remove the top bit without flowers in it.

What might have worked even better would have been a more shallow DOF, with a more prominent foreground flower (picking a flower to get closer to in the foreground, offsetting it to the left or right, then having the colours of the rest of the flowers blurring off into the distance).

They still look nice, and on top of it you got to spend a day relaxing...sounds like a success to me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.