Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arudius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
New York, NY
Hey all, I just received my Mac Pro and I was curious if these specs would work well with Oblivion?

2 x 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
1GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 7300 GT

What kind of performance would this get? Any ideas? I've considered upgrading a few components, the video card possibly being one but I'm not sure if it's good or not. All opinions and views would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
From the site:

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:

3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP 64-bit
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series
ATI x800 series
ATI x700 series
ATI x600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9700 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 series
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
NVIDIA GeForce FX series

From those specs compared to yours, I'd say your more than qualified to play that game, the only thing you should be thinking of doing is upgrading your RAM some time as it will greatly benefit you.

Possibly a better graphics card later on too, but it's not necessary.

Mac.Jnr

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
Depends what res and the settings.

The 7300GT sucks literally, so i don't you'll do so well at anything above 1024x768.

Get better GPU maybe X1900XT or maybe a 8800 but you'll have to swap cards in and out to use Mac OSX. A extra gig would be good too! :)

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Is that an imac you're talking about ?

I've run oblivion (via bootcamp) on an iMac 24inch - I've got 2 gig of ram and an upgraded 7600GT instead of the 7300GT. My decision to upgraded these components was based on the following :
- you cannot upgraded the graphics card yourself in the imac, so I took the latest and greatest available at the time (double the memory on the GPU!)
- I could have upgraded the ram myself, but when I ordered it with the mac it was cheaper to do so than to actually buy it seperately (from crucial, my favourite mac memory supplier); this actually surprised me a lot, first time ever memory upgrade was cheaper on the mac website !

Oblivion runs with all the bells and whistles on (well, maybe not ALL, but I don't like the way the hdr looks in it) at a very good clip. So do all the other games I've thrown at it. HL2 hdr lost coast demo is extremely good looking !

arudius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
New York, NY
What sort of FPS would you say I'd get? And I wasn't planning on anything higher than 1024x768 (at least not with the 7300GT). Eventually I would upgrade to another gig of RAM.

Apparently 2 x 2.66GHz would help things out a lot, too? I don't think Oblivion is set up for multi-threading, but I think that the Windows XP architecture would recognize two processors and therefore would speed up the game play a bit?

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
I've got 2.16 dual core and it doesn't need more. New games, maybe, but for me the graphic card and the memory are the most important thing.

I would advise to pick the highest graphic card you can get when initially buying the machine, unless it's a mac pro I don't think you can upgrade it yourself, so that's what you're stuck with.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Looks fine on my MBP (2.16 GHz Core Duo with 2 GB and 256 MB VRAM), so it should be even better on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.