PDA

View Full Version : Laptop sales beat Desktop

DakotaGuy
Jul 3, 2003, 10:50 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/07/03/laptop.computer.ap/index.html

For the first time Laptop sales beat Desktop sales overall on all PC's. I think Apple is on to something when they stress over time for many consumers Laptops will outsell Desktops. Any comments?

evil
Jul 3, 2003, 11:33 AM
well it sure seems to make sense.
partially because laptops are closer in power to desktops and because the desktop market may be a bit saturated.

iJon
Jul 3, 2003, 11:57 AM
i believe it. laptops have proven to be powerful enough for most people and you can take them wherever you please.

iJon

MacFan25
Jul 3, 2003, 01:54 PM
It's not surprsing. I think the numbers will continue to rise in coming years.

wdlove
Jul 3, 2003, 02:00 PM
Lucky for us Steve Jobs and Apple are innovative. He announced at MWSF, "That this is the year of the laptop." So it's no really suprising that laptop sales have increased.

mcrain
Jul 3, 2003, 03:12 PM
For me, the choice was easy. I didn't need a duel chip anything for what I do, I didn't want a PC or Windows, and the Powerbook I ended up getting did everything I needed (With the added bonus of being portable!) It was an easy choice for me.

A few years ago, I had both a desktop and a laptop because the laptop was considerably slower, and it was such a tradeoff in power for portability that you had to have both machines.

tazo
Jul 3, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Lucky for us Steve Jobs and Apple are innovative. He announced at MWSF, "That this is the year of the laptop." So it's no really suprising that laptop sales have increased.

lol. the way you said that it made it seem that Jobs was responsible for the rise in sales :P

C14ru5
Jul 4, 2003, 03:55 PM
I work in a computer store, and I've noticed the following pattern from my customers:

-Most younger customers (students, for instance) choose portables because they want to bring their digital lifestyle everywhere they go.

-Most elderly customers choose portables because they're small and silent, not because of portability. We also have a 128k on display (along with a Plus, SE and Classic), and the customers show the same emotions towards these machines as they do towards the portables - interesting.

-When asked about a PowerMac: "Oh no, that's way too bulky and noisy. Who would ever need that?"

-When asked about an iMac: "It's nice, but the iBook is smaller, and I have the *option* of moving the machine around, if necessary. Also, if I need a larger monitor, I can buy a PowerBook!"

I would say, off the top of my head, 2/3 of my customers buy laptops. Probably because they want freedom of choice - and the iBook/PowerBook/Airport/iPod combination is a great way to get this.

akushlan
Jul 5, 2003, 03:20 AM
I am so relieved that I am right on the average
Last year I bought 1000 computers and 540 of them were laptops
LOL

Macmaniac
Jul 5, 2003, 11:04 AM
Well like Steve said it would be the year of the laptop!
He could increase the migration by offering a G5 in the TiBook.
Very interesting though it shows an emerging trend.

wdlove
Jul 5, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by C14ru5
I work in a computer store, and I've noticed the following pattern from my customers:

-Most elderly customers choose portables because they're small and silent, not because of portability. We also have a 128k on display (along with a Plus, SE and Classic), and the customers show the same emotions towards these machines as they do towards the portables - interesting.

Out of curosity what age would you consider to be elderly?

fatfish
Jul 7, 2003, 07:09 PM
Oh statistics....................

They'll always say what you want them to say.

Are you sure these figures don't mean that laptops are now affordable enough to have one as well as the desktop rather than instead of.

I've just had a quick count and have got 12 devices plugged into my desktop. I wouldn't mind a laptop to go with it, but it wouldn't be very portable, if it was to replace my desktop. (or secure for that matter-I'm sure I'd be at risk of leaving it on a train or dropping it in the swimming pool at some stage)