PDA

View Full Version : 14.1" Ibook or 12" Powerbook

rotlex
Jul 3, 2003, 12:08 PM
I know, everyone probably hates these questions, but it's time for me to make the purchase. (Hoping for this weekend at least)

As my current desktop is suiting my needs, the need for a laptop, mobility is next. I'm down down to the 14.1" Ibook, or the 12" Powerbook. Configured the way I want, pricing is about 100 more on the Powerbook. (Airport, 640MB Ram etc. etc.)

I"m really stumped on this as I like the screen size on the Ibook a bit more, but the extra power on the Powerbook is nice as well. To cut it short, the machines primary function will be mobile photoshop work, web surfing, e-mail and the ability to be easily carted around which I'm guessing either of these will do.

From experience, are either one of these machines going to be more up to the tasks I'm looking for, or more durable for that matter? The 100 dollars is hardly an issue of course, it's more a matter of which one will be more pleasureable to work with. Also, is the speed difference between the two machines going to be that drastic?

Thanks again, this site has been very helpful in my different quests so far!

Kwyjibo
Jul 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
whats your timeline? It might be better to see if the powerbook is updated this summer and then I would totally go for the powerbook..many people myself included think the 14" iBook isn't really that great...being stuck at the same rez at 12" screens and only minimal battery improvements...the powerbook is the better choice...either machine caan trudge thru lite photoshop work fine...powerbook will do it better but if its only occasional you wouldn't even notice...if you need the machien go for the pb ..if you have time to wait I would..the machine is 6months old now

MacFan25
Jul 3, 2003, 01:37 PM
I think that the PowerBook would be just fine for you. I don't think that the 14" iBook is really a very good value, but I do think the 12" Powerbook is.

And, don't buy RAM from Apple. Too expensive.

MacBoyX
Jul 3, 2003, 01:50 PM
I must be infamous for this now as I incited a heated debate in a former post about this...

I had a Powerbook, sold it and then was chosing between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook...here are some things to consider...

1. The iBook's made of Acrylic and is a bit more durable than the Aluminum of the PB. Not saying the Aluminum is bad, just the plastic to me seems stronger.

2. The PowerBook and ALL iBooks have the same resolution 1024x768. Even the 14" doesn't get you a bigger screen just more spread out pixels.

3. As shipped the iBook does NOT support monitor spanning. The PowerBook does.

4. As for speed, I have found that the iBook is easily as quick in my day to day stuff as the G4. I use Photoshop daily but to do only basic editing.

5. The iBook seems to me to run a little cooler (not much but the acrylic doesn't conduct the heat as well).

6. AirPort reception is MUCH better on the iBook (the 15" PB has the worst and although the 12" is better..it is still no match to the PowerBook).

I'd tell you to give a little thought to the 12" iBook Combo model, as you don't really lose resolution just have a smaller over and more portable sized system (especially if you are considering the 12" PB which is almost exactly the same size) and it has better AirPort reception, and it'd leave you with another 200 bucks in your pocket. That plus your 100 already left over is enuff to get an iPod and that's really worth it!

The PB however does look damn cool, though I love the look of my iBook, there's just nothing out there like it.

I would say NOT to wait as I don't see the PowerBook 12 getting any major updates anytime soon the 15 I think will but I dunno if they can get a 1Ghz G4 in the size of the 12" with adequate cooling, but what do I know :).

Truth be told, using a Mac that's one release back is hardly a bad thing and often you can save some cash :).

I hope you enjoy what ever you get!

MacBoyX

rotlex
Jul 3, 2003, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the responses. I'm kind of leaning toward the Powerbook, but still, a bit unsure. Didn't think about the resolution thing on the 14" Ibook though. As far as my timeline, while it's not an emergency that I do make a purchase this weekend, it would be "nice" to do.

Perhaps I should hold out just a bit longer to see if any changes are in the wind. Heck, I've been waiting this long already, and the laptop is more of a convenience factor than anything in all reality.

Oh, I agree on the ram thing. I'll max it out, but jeez, it does seem a bit overpriced at the apple store as opposed to the prices I checked at crucial.

Thanks again!

yzedf
Jul 3, 2003, 01:57 PM
If I had to choose only between 12" PB or the 14" iBook... I would go for the PB. The LCD on the 14" iBook is rather... not nice looking. Those extra 2 inches make the pixels so much bigger (same res of 1024*768 for both iBooks and 12" PB) that it really just doesn't look very nice.

If you throw the 12" iBook into the mix... I would pick that over the 12" PB for what you said you wanted to do with it.

Rezet
Jul 3, 2003, 03:35 PM
Get 12" Powerbook. Don't bother with the Ibook. it's like 100 some bucks less but you are really trading G4 for G3.
In your case, 12" Pbook is the way to go.