Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/

This functionality should be in the OS. Very nice!

Circuitous Audio
Technically speaking, Detour allows you to send audio to different output devices on an application-specific basis. What does that mean exactly? It means you can...

...send music from iTunes to your external speakers and keep the annoying beeps and blips of iChat going through your computer's built-in speaker.

...mute any application's sounds all together.

...change the volume of some applications relative to others. Make your email client's alerts quieter, and you'll never again be jarred from work just to receive spam.

When you use Detour, you can choose between your speakers, headphones, built-in speaker, iMic, MiniDisc player or anything else which the system sees as an audio output and send it the audio from a specific application. Along the way, you can adjust the volume as well.

If you use audio on your computer in any way, from MP3s to movies, from instant messaging to internet radio, try out Detour today.

I like. I'm buying...eventually ;)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I love it, not annoying freaking ichat/adium noises when cranking itunes. :)

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
hmmm

great, no if they can make a pro versian for musicans that will allow you to send audio out to many outputs from 1 app.
for instance. 5.1 digital out mix from logic to the digital out, while at the same time sending 7.1 out the 8 outputs of the motu 828, alert sounds out the bi speakers, and 24/192 out of a rev 7.1 all from the same mix in logic or protools.
this flexability is confusing but will be very much appreciated by many pros. limited to one audio device per app

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: hmmm

Originally posted by daveg5
great, no if they can make a pro versian for musicans that will allow you to send audio out to many outputs from 1 app.
for instance. 5.1 digital out mix from logic to the digital out, while at the same time sending 7.1 out the 8 outputs of the motu 828, alert sounds out the bi speakers, and 24/192 out of a rev 7.1 all from the same mix in logic or protools.
this flexability is confusing but will be very much appreciated by many pros. limited to one audio device per app

YES! That is exactly what I need. I want to split between four monitoring devices without having to manually switch and calibrate. Then I will buy.

Dan

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Re: hmmm

Originally posted by daveg5

ME too... I would like to buy more speakers and be able to use them all at the same time. This is a cool program though. I'll probably get it eventually.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this has a lot of potential for me...

as I could use it to have a software switchbox.

The problem is -- does anyone know of a cheap USB audio out device? Besides the iMic?

I have an iMic now -- which means I can output between my G4's jack and the imic... but I need one more out.

arn

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Re: hmmm

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
ME too... I would like to buy more speakers and be able to use them all at the same time. This is a cool program though. I'll probably get it eventually.
thanks guys i thought i was alone on this one, i actually thought this feature was built into osx, boy was i wrong.
http://www.maudio.com has a number of lowcost usb audio devices.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
brilliant, i can use this program in so many ways... this is definitely something to implement into the OS, but it'll be complicated for the average user, which is probably why they've left it out...

Thanks for this info!

pnw

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Just so you know, your Maudio link goes nowhere.

Nice App, thanks for the info!

Regards,
Gus

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i see this being very helpful to a lot of audio people in the future. i wont be using it professionally, but i look forward to a lot of utilities like this built into future versions of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.