PDA

View Full Version : Switched... to a G3/266

crenz
Jul 3, 2003, 03:31 PM
I've been following MR for quite a while and finally decided to register in the forum since I have a question (will post it in another thread). Anyway, I thought I'll just mention about my switch to the Mac platform as an introduction.

I have used Macintoshes "for real" the first time about six years ago. Then, ever since I got that student job at a mostly-Mac internet company four years ago, I got to work on Macs occasionally. I really liked them, but most of my work is Unix-based (FreeBSD/Linux), so using a Linux desktop was way more convenient. However, after MacOS X was announced, I knew I was going to get a Mac eventually :) . I remember I first was a bit disappointed with the interface because I was used to OS 9, but it grew on me (and my Mac colleagues). During the last two years, I thought more seriously about getting a Mac, but it was only this year that I borrowed a left-over G3/266 from the office and started working on it at home.

I was positively surprised that I actually could do a lot with OS X even on this old machine (especially after I bumped up the memory to 224 MB). OK, application startup times are quite long, but I do alot of work on the terminal, so I can still live with it. Initially, I made an effort to use the Mac instead of my 266 MHz PC. Now the PC has been disassembled and sits in a closet, and I do everything on the Mac. Everything except Windows software development, which I still have to do in the office. I hope to get my first own Mac soon and settle this issue with VirtualPC :) and even more importantly do music composing/production as well.

Anyway, just wanted to share this. Sorry it got a bit long. Hope nobody got bored :).

jayscheuerle
Jul 3, 2003, 04:25 PM
Hate to break it to you crenz, but Panther won't run on beige G3s.

I'm in the same boat with my 400 MHz minitower. The choice is either stick with Jaguar (decent enough) or upgrade EVERYTHING!

Who knows? Maybe there will be a beige-box hack out there come January...

crenz
Jul 3, 2003, 04:29 PM
Well, as I mentioned, I plan to get a machine of my own soon -- either a friend's iBook, or one of the PowerMac G4s (they're quite a good deal now). So looks like I won't have problems with Panther :). However, I asked a Mac reseller today whether I have to fork out the full price for Panther if I buy a new G4 now. They said "probably yes", because they are not aware of any rebates yet :(.

patrick0brien
Jul 3, 2003, 04:54 PM
-crenz, jayscheuerle

It occurs to me that I see all kinds of threads about 'hackin' or upgrading a Mac that is 8 or more years old so that it can run with the latest software.

It's interesting because these machines are still working well enough to want to do this to.

How many threads do you see about PC users wishing to do the same?

Food for thought.

Vector
Jul 3, 2003, 05:14 PM
I have jaguar running on my wallstreet 233 and it works fine and is very stable. I do not use it as my main computer anymore but it works fine when i need it. Freehand and Photoshop run fine on it as do less intensive apps, although long actions in ps can get tedious.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hack for panther once it comes out unless there is some large hardware/firmware problem to overcome.

tazo
Jul 5, 2003, 05:08 AM
i think the biggest hurdle to leap over to run panther, are the graphic card limitations of the older machines. stuff like the cube user switching and expose are going to be cpu and graphic card intensive. do you think those older machines would be able to handle those?

jayscheuerle
Jul 5, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by tazo
i think the biggest hurdle to leap over to run panther, are the graphic card limitations of the older machines. stuff like the cube user switching and expose are going to be cpu and graphic card intensive. do you think those older machines would be able to handle those?

Panther doesn't claim to support any
G3 without built in usb ports. That means the beige boxes and the first G3 laptops are out of luck.

Would Apple purposely exclude these machines even though the ability is there in both the machines and the OS?

Of course...