PDA

View Full Version : Student holding out for new 15in PB?

smcbelles
Jul 3, 2003, 09:49 PM
I am getting ready to go to college in late August. I was just wondering if anyone had some advise as to whether I should hold out to the last minute to get my laptop; in hopes that the rumored new 15 in PowerBook will come out. Do you think that it is worth holding out to buy the new PB? Or should I just give in and purchase the current 15in?

beefcake
Jul 3, 2003, 09:56 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm planning on holding out until the next update. The bottom line is I don't want a computer I may have for 4 years to be noticably dated when I buy it. The next update should include a faster G4 (maybe more efficient too) along with Airport Extreme and an Aluminum case. Now that's just a prediction but I've been following PB news for a while and would bet money ($2600 to be exact) that this is whats coming out next.

In the event that it doesn't come out before the end of July, I'll haul an old box down to the dorm and sit on my hands until Apple updates the line. (Of course, if I'm really desperate I could always go Centrino, but that's a last resort).

ZildjianKX
Jul 3, 2003, 10:08 PM
Definately don't purchase the current 15"... its going on 8 months old... the only other thing I'd worry about is that if the next revision is a G4... its going to seem really dated in 4 years. Over the next few years Apple is going to become G5 central, despite what they may say now. So take that as you will.

Wyrm
Jul 3, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by beefcake
...The bottom line is I don't want a computer I may have for 4 years to be noticably dated when I buy it.

That's a pretty funny statement, since after about a year it wouldn't really matter would it?

It should be more like "I don't want to buy a computer and have Apple update it the next week!" <doh!> - but like the first scratch on a car - it is inevitable. :(

Hold out as long as you can! - women, cars, and computers - all will suck you dry and spit out the financial bones.

Like you, I'm waiting for the next rev - but of all the items the 2 biggest to me are:

1) better integrated airport (extreme)
2) possibly an ATI9600

I couldn't care less if it has the same memory, same cpu, same screen, same battery, same superdrive. These are all pretty good right now.

-Wyrm

jzieske
Jul 5, 2003, 07:24 PM
This seems to be a common question. I would expect that new 15" PB will be alum w/ airport extreme and a little faster G4. i expect to see these announced at MWNY keynote on 7/16.

Lets all just cross our fingers.:)

gopher
Jul 5, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by jzieske
This seems to be a common question. I would expect that new 15" PB will be alum w/ airport extreme and a little faster G4. i expect to see these announced at MWNY keynote on 7/16.

Lets all just cross our fingers.:)

Alas, the keynote won't be held by Steve Jobs, so we don't know if anything will come of it. I suspect they will quietly upgrade the Powerbooks when we least expect them. I have my reasons, but I don't expect the Powerbook to be released in a 15" Aluminum variation until October. I've stated them in another thread. The 11 month interval between updates is not unheard of. It has happened in Powerbook's past. And remember the 17" were very late in being delivered

Kwyjibo
Jul 5, 2003, 10:32 PM
Tomorrow July 6 will be exatly 8months since the 15in was upgraded and around 6 months since the powerbooks were release( but they may be working around the shipping timeline)

MacUser1
Jul 5, 2003, 10:52 PM
I am also holding out for a new PowerBook. I hope that these are the specifications (or somewhat close):
1-1.25 GHz G4 Processor
Faster Front Side Bus
DDR SDRAM Memory
Aluminum Casing
2x SuperDrive
Bluetooth
FireWire 800
USB 2.0
(Backlit Keyboard) - not entirely neccessary
I would hope for a PowerBook G5, but I feel that a PowerBook G5 is still a while off. I always said that I would wait to buy a new laptop when a PowerBook G5 would come out. However, with my Pismo dead, I'll need a new PowerBook for school.

excalibur313
Jul 5, 2003, 10:59 PM
I agree that the powerbooks will be released very quietly but since phil, the vp of apple, will be giving a speech it seems plausable that he might mention it then. Other than that it wouldn't surprise me if they had an update the day after the ipod+laptop deal went bad b/c it's just the sort of thing they'd do. I really hope that they release it at macworld and i hope it has the following updates: al case, faster processor, memory on par with 12 and 17, a non crippled optical drive (finally 2x dvd-r on a powerbook), and a new video card whether it be nvidia or ati (methinks it will probably be nvidia), and airport extreme support. Additionally I heard rumblings about a new 15.4" screen but I'm not sure the validity of the rumor. Basically whether it is g4, g5 whatever i just want it before I have to go to school.
-Steve