Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm sure Apple would make one if they were comfortable it would not harm the system...its not that they want to cripple the phone...

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I'm sure Apple would make one if they were comfortable it would not harm the system...its not that they want to cripple the phone...

Don't kid yourself. There will an iPhone SDK, just like there's an iPod SDK. The only thing is that Apple will only license it out to hand picked third parties, probably for a fee or a share of the revenue and only something that Apple would approve of. So don't hold your breath for and IM app that uses network access(AT&T doesn't want to lose SMS revenues) or alternative(better) versions of the iPhones default applications. It's about the money and control. Despite Steve's comments when unveiling the iPhone, I've never heard of a Treo or Windows mobile device taking down anyone's network because of a misbehaving application.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Despite Steve's comments when unveiling the iPhone, I've never heard of a Treo or Windows mobile device taking down anyone's network because of a misbehaving application.

AND I never heard a Windows Mobile device' security get compromised, even though the OS is completely open.

Those bastards are holding back. Definitely not getting an iPhone until they open the damn thing up.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
You all should read this article. The author does a good job of explaining a likely reason why there isn't a full-blown iPhone SDK (yet). He also mentions how in one instance a misbehaving app did cause a major problem for one of the carriers; it's worth noting that nothing was "compromised" for this problem to occur. I can assure you that just because you haven't heard of an smart phone app causing havoc on a carriers network that it hasn't happened.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
well a HUGE reason why theres no SDK is simply because of Money.

all apple really wants is Money, it will cost the user more to buy "approved" applications from apple rather than people writing their own software and have it avalible for download free of charge (like WM5).

also they will probably make you download the software through your provider making you pay even more because of data fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.