Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kawolford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Hi, I bought this camera recently and on the Aiptek website it says that it is Mac OS 10.3 or above compatible, but when I connect it to my mac via firewire, iMovie doesn't see the camera. I know this camera was just released at the end of May, but does anyone have any experience with a similar problem that could help me get my video off the camera? Thank you!

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I too am interested in this camera. My impression is that you must put the SD card in to a card reader and then drag it over to iMovie and it will import. Connecting the cam to your Mac does nothing. This is one of the things I was hoping would change yesterday with the introduction of Imovie 7 but no luck.

Do me a favor if you get a chance send me a link to a video you shot with this cam. I am right on the fence about to order.

.Norm

norman((at)))normanhart dot com

kawolford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Aiptek GO-HD dv camcorder and final cut studio interface

Final Cut Studio will not recognize the files from my Aiptek GO-HD dvcamcorder. I've tried importing them from my sd card reader and it won't accept them. Is there something that needs to be done to the files in order to import them?

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
Yeah i heard this cam's files wont work with FCP or FCE but will work with iMovie. I downloaded some trial footage and it does work. I burned a DVD and it looks good.

kawolford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
aiptek go-hd and final cut

Just to clarify, you burned a dvd from iMovie?

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
no i downloaded the footed from steves digicam reveiw site. edited it in iMovie and the 720P video from the GO-HD looked awesome. I then exported the finished edit to IDVD and was impressed by the result. This is a high def cam that can be bought for $250. It isnt going to give professional results but its a great stop-gap till the HD camera market matures.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Final Cut Studio will not recognize the files from my Aiptek GO-HD dvcamcorder. I've tried importing them from my sd card reader and it won't accept them. Is there something that needs to be done to the files in order to import them?

This camera is just another in a long line of inexpensively made consumer camcorders that record in a format that was originally intended for delivery - not for editing.

However, you can edit the h.264 codec files it records if you first convert them into a more edit-friendly codec. Just don't expect too much in the way of quality - the original recordings format is very highly compressed already so any conversion will only exacerbate existing artifacts.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.