Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
I have a lot of songs, that for whatever reason appear as the band name, track number, then song title all as the song title (ex: Dave Matthews Band 06 Sattelite). This is really annoying and I can't see half of my song titles on the ipod. I renamed the songs in Windows (on my old computer) before transferring them over, I renamed them in the music folder on the Mac, but they still show up like this in itunes and the ipod. Any ideas?

Jan 30, 2006
Rename the song within iTunes, not in the Finder. There is a program named iEatBrainz that gets all the info for the songs, but I don't trust it a lot, it would make mistakes sometimes.

So try renaming them within iTunes.

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Wonderland
I have a lot of songs, that for whatever reason appear as the band name, track number, then song title all as the song title (ex: Dave Matthews Band 06 Sattelite). This is really annoying and I can't see half of my song titles on the ipod. I renamed the songs in Windows (on my old computer) before transferring them over, I renamed them in the music folder on the Mac, but they still show up like this in itunes and the ipod. Any ideas?

Try this iTunes script. "This script will rename the selected tracks in iTunes with their filenames (minus the extension)."

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
thanks for the replies, one more question. I've renamed all of the songs in iTunes. When I go to file and 'add to library', will all of the files be renamed back to what they were and all of my work lost? Thanks.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
No. When you rename files in iTunes it changes the ID3 tag's which are built into the mp3 files. So if you send them to a friend, get a new computer and reupload them to iTunes, they'll always say the same thing they do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.