PDA

View Full Version : How to "unpartition" Drive

vwcruisn
Jul 4, 2003, 11:07 PM
I have my drive partitioned. half for os9 and half for os10. I want to reformat my entire harddrive.. erase everything,... with no partitions.. only installing osx.. how do i unpartition the drive?

Duff-Man
Jul 4, 2003, 11:17 PM
Duff-Man says.....When you boot from your OS X cd and begin the install process one of the options is to re-format....in the disk utility you can delete all the partitions reformat as one.....needless to say, backup your important data and anything else you want to save first!....oh yeah!

(do you need more specific detail??)

vwcruisn
Jul 4, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says.....When you boot from your OS X cd and begin the install process one of the options is to re-format....in the disk utility you can delete all the partitions reformat as one.....needless to say, backup your important data and anything else you want to save first!....oh yeah!

(do you need more specific detail??)

Ok i just erased the os9 partition, and reinstalled the osx software on the osx partition, and reformated. Now i have osx on one partition, and the os9 partition is blank. I cant figure out how to combine the partitions.

FredAkbar
Jul 5, 2003, 12:41 AM
When you set up the partitions, make sure you have the entire disk selected in the list on the left (in Disk Utility). If you just select one volume (i.e. just one of your two partitions) it won't work. (The volumes are sort of indented to the right a little bit, and the whole disks aren't, so that's an easy way to tell whether you selected the correct thing.)

--Fred

LimeLite
Jul 5, 2003, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that when you format while booted from the os x cd that there's a pull down menu or something of that sort that let's you choose how many partitions you want to have.

vwcruisn
Jul 5, 2003, 02:54 AM
thanks guys. i got it

Eilsel
May 26, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hey, thanks so much for the previous posts - this was the exact same question I've had. A friend partitioned my drive into THREE. It's too confusing, and I want only one.

ALSO, I am just starting to use OSX, but most of the programs that I use for my freelance work need to open in Classic. If I put the OSX disc back in and reinstall it as was suggested above, will I still be able to run Classic, or will it erase that as well when I get rid of the partitions?

I am sort of afraid to do this, but my computer has been TERRIBLY buggy and there are a million software conflicts and rebuilding the desktop and zapping the p-ram are not cutting it anymore. I need to start clean. (It's a G4, I've had it for 2.5 years.)

Thanks in advance for any input!
Leslie