Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raffles

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
USA
So, I can connect my miniDV camera via FireWire and have the Canvas playback on the camera's display, and I can connect my tele to display whatever's on my camera through those yellow, white, and red A/V cables....

My question is: is there a way to skip the camera and have the canvas play on my tele using some sort of converter or box?

Thank you!

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Yes you can ... IF your MiniDV camera is capable of accepting a DV (Firewire) signal input. Most DV cameras do.

Set your camera to the proper input (DV, Firewire iLink are all the same thing) and make sure it's not in PLAY mode. Connect a Firewire cable from your camera to your Mac. Turn on the camera and start up your Mac. Launch FCP. Set the Timeline or Viewer playhead on a clip. If you don't see the output on your camera's monitor, look in FCP's VIEW menu under External Video and make sure it's set to ALL FRAMES.

The recommended method of monitoring while you work in FCP is to connect your camera's (or other DV device's) analog outputs to a properly calibrated TV monitor. If your camera will pass through the digital signal to its analog outputs, this would be the best way to work.

-DH

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
-DH,
You might want to re-read the OP. ;)

He's asking if there is a way besides using his camera to get a signal out of his Mac into his TV.

Killer_b,
You overlooked the most inexpensive solution, the Canopus ADVC110.

Lethal

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
-DH,

He's asking if there is a way besides using his camera to get a signal out of his Mac into his TV.

Killer_b,

Lethal

Well I'll be darned. I didn't even know of the new Canopus solutions. Back in the day my friend had a Canopus card for his PC, and I just always assumed they didn't offer those kind of boxes. Learned I am now. :p

Holy crap, this is my 500th post! :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Well I'll be darned. I didn't even know of the new Canopus solutions. Back in the day my friend had a Canopus card for his PC, and I just always assumed they didn't offer those kind of boxes. Learned I am now. :p

Holy crap, this is my 500th post! :D

I used to have a Matrox RT2500 card in a PC running Premiere 6.5 I built back in '99. I remember when I started looking at FCP around '01 Matrox had a card called RTMac that provided hardware acceleration for FCP, but the thing was a buggy monster that Matrox unceremoniously stopped supporting not long there after. Not a lot of happy campters on Matrox's RTMac board...

Lethal

Raffles

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
USA
-DH,

Killer_b,

Lethal

That's rather expensive.

So, as I understand it, it converts analog to DV and vice versa. Could I, for example, take some Hi8 tapes from my dad's seventeen year old Sony Handycam and put them on my mac?

Could this also take videos from my Motorola Comcast DVR and put them on my mac?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That's rather expensive.

So, as I understand it, it converts analog to DV and vice versa. Could I, for example, take some Hi8 tapes from my dad's seventeen year old Sony Handycam and put them on my mac?

Could this also take videos from my Motorola Comcast DVR and put them on my mac?
Yes and Yes. Although if the handycam tapes haven't aged very well it may be difficult to get a clean signal from them. If that's the case, and you don't mind spending a little more money, you can get something like the ADVC 300 which has circuitry built into help stabilize weak analog video signals.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.