PDA

View Full Version : Vodka tastes like rubbing alcohol....

SamIchi
Jun 12, 2007, 11:35 PM
<random thread> And no I've never drank rubbing alcohol, but it has the same smell and the link between smell and taste are pretty similar.

Confirm/Deny?

My least favorite spirit but I still drink it. :rolleyes: </random thread>

MacNut
Jun 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
How cheap a vodka do you have.;)

Agent Smith
Jun 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
Drink enough of it, and you'll not be able to tell the difference. :P

(P.S. Don't drink that much...it's not good for you).

Abstract
Jun 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
I once had Absolut Tangerine vodka shots. Yummy. :)

But mmmm...I'll stick with tequila shots.

SamIchi
Jun 12, 2007, 11:40 PM

Well it's not my vodka but it's Grey Goose.

I remember a party where cheap vodka and warm OJ was dispensed like water, nastiest thing in the world.

mattscott306
Jun 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
Well it's not my vodka but it's Grey Goose.

I remember a party where cheap vodka and warm OJ was dispensed like water, nastiest thing in the world.

Grey Goose is not cheap...
Vodka tastes pretty good, but it depends on how your drinking it. I had some redbull/vodka earlier this evening- it was great. I'm not a huge vodka shot fan, gotta mix it with something. Whereas I know of a certain mac rumors member who's all for vodka shots.

Counterfit
Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
Gin >>>>>>>>>> Vodka.

Mm-mm YUMMY!

D0ct0rteeth
Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
grey goose isnt bad vodka at all. Im a fan of Belvedere vodka myself.

I understand your comparison, but as you drink more and your tastes develop you may find that you've come to enjoy the taste and find a brand or type of alcohol that you like.

- Doc

theLimit
Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 PM
I used to love vodka, but I can't drink it anymore. Once at a friends place, I drank a gallon of cheap 110 proof vodka and got alcohol poisoning. That was definitely not a fun experience. For two days there were evil faeries inside my bedroom walls scratching and whispering the most awful things at me. Now I get dry heaves at the smell of vodka. I now mainly stick to Irish beers and whiskeys, with the occasional swig of homemade moonshine when I visit my dad. I learned that moderation is the key.

MacNut
Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 PM
I can't do more then 1 hard vodka shot but mixing it with juice of some kind is always good.:)

wkw
Jun 13, 2007, 12:03 AM
I used to love vodka, but I can't drink it anymore. Once at a friends place, I drank a gallon of cheap 110 proof vodka and got alcohol poisoning. That was definitely not a fun experience. For two days there were evil faeries inside my bedroom walls scratching and whispering the most awful things at me. Now I get dry heaves at the smell of vodka. I now mainly stick to Irish beers and whiskeys, with the occasional swig of homemade moonshine when I visit my dad. I learned that moderation is the key.

you drank a GALLON? holy cow. thats alot of booze

ham_man
Jun 13, 2007, 12:12 AM
I drank a gallon of cheap 110 proof vodka and got alcohol poisoning.
That's like drinking a bottle and a half of Jack...by yourself...:eek:

jng
Jun 13, 2007, 12:24 AM
I love Vodka, especially the good stuff from Russia. One of my housemates brought some back one time and we opened it at dinner. Basically 3 of us drank the entire bottle (a liter? maybe .75). It was soooo smooth. Nothing like rubbing alcohol.

I've avoided vodka since then because everything else pales in comparison. =/

quigleybc
Jun 13, 2007, 12:52 AM
Chopin Vodka is great

and Grey Goose is nice too

Rubbing Alcohol is not great or nice.

Daveway
Jun 13, 2007, 01:01 AM
Just stay_away_from_Taaka Vodka.
Please.

It does things to you...:o

theLimit
Jun 13, 2007, 01:10 AM
you drank a GALLON? holy cow. thats alot of booze

Well, just under a gallon. It was two 1.75L bottles. It took two days of hallucinating and drinking out of the bathroom sink to get over it. I was young and stupid, and learned a valuable lesson.

cycocelica
Jun 13, 2007, 02:08 AM
you must have had a bad batch of GG. I love me some GG, goes down smooth

rockosmodurnlif
Jun 13, 2007, 02:16 AM
Deny, vodka is the only liquor I drink. But I must ask, what is your favorite spirit?

Counterfit
Jun 13, 2007, 02:16 AM
I love Vodka, especially the good stuff from Russia. One of my housemates brought some back one time and we opened it at dinner. Basically 3 of us drank the entire bottle (a liter? maybe .75). It was soooo smooth. Nothing like rubbing alcohol.

I've avoided vodka since then because everything else pales in comparison. =/

My parents got me a liter of Cork Dry Gin when they went to Ireland again in April (Chaperoning a high school trip too. Tsk tsk. :rolleyes: ). As with your vodka, SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. I need to find a place to buy it in the US. :cool:

DZ/015
Jun 13, 2007, 02:57 AM
Grey Goose is one of the best vodkas I have ever tasted. Nothing like rubbing alcohol.

Here in Massachusetts, we had a former first lady (remember Kitty?) who was well known for imbibing rubbing alcohol. Rehab did not take.

geese
Jun 13, 2007, 05:22 AM
I used to live with someone as a student who'd drink cheap Tesco's Vodka (Tesco being the UK equivelent of Wal-Mart) and mix it with Sunny Delight.

Made him a little bit mental.

PlaceofDis
Jun 13, 2007, 05:26 AM
I once had Absolut Tangerine vodka shots. Yummy. :)

But mmmm...I'll stick with tequila shots.

thats great vodka, but i'll take shots of Jäger instead.

vodka isn't the best shot imo, but its great for mixing. and it goes with just about anything.

Queso
Jun 13, 2007, 05:29 AM
I like Grey Goose. From the thread title I thought you were going to be taling about Vladivar or something really rough. The sort of crap my parents drink :D

We normally get our vodka from Russia, as my partner has a number of Russian clients who bring it back for us as presents. So not only good vodka, but free vodka. Could you possibly want anything more?

MACDRIVE
Jun 13, 2007, 05:30 AM
You've got to get some lime juice to put in that vodka.

Vodka + Lime = Kamikaze :)

devilot
Jun 13, 2007, 05:32 AM
So not only good vodka, but free vodka. Could you possibly want anything more? Someone to share it with? :p

When out in a restaurant/ bar, I used to call Red Bulls & vodkas w/ Grey Goose. But eh, let's face it, I probably can't tell the difference if it's being mixed w/ RB. :p So now I just save my money. At home? Cheapo Gordon's for me-- their label claims it's the most "mixable" vodka and I'm inclined to believe so.

Abstract
Jun 13, 2007, 08:05 AM
Just stay_away_from_Taaka Vodka.
Please.

It does things to you...:o

I once had a vodka called "Soviet" or something. Lesson learned. ;)

Well, just under a gallon. It was two 1.75L bottles. It took two days of hallucinating and drinking out of the bathroom sink to get over it. I was young and stupid, and learned a valuable lesson.

They sell 1.75L bottles of vodka where you live? :confused: The bottles here are either 750 ml or 1litre (most companies sell both), although maybe I didn't find larger bottles because I wasn't actively looking for them.

miniConvert
Jun 13, 2007, 08:07 AM
For drinking on its own, you want Stolichnaya Elit. Nothing else I have tasted comes close.

For mixing, plain old Stoli is just fine :)

Vodka is definitely my spirit of choice.

Queso
Jun 13, 2007, 08:15 AM
For drinking on its own, you want Stolichnaya Elit. Nothing else I have tasted comes close.

For mixing, plain old Stoli is just fine :)

Vodka is definitely my spirit of choice.
Stolly always reminds me of Patsy and Eddie from Ab Fab.

"Stolly Bolly?"

"Stolly Bolly!"

Lyle
Jun 13, 2007, 08:46 AM
When out in a restaurant/ bar, I used to call Red Bulls & vodkas w/ Grey Goose. But eh, let's face it, I probably can't tell the difference if it's being mixed w/ RB. :p So now I just save my money...On a recent episode of "20/20" they did an experiment (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3201973&page=1) with a bunch of vodka afficianados to see if they could tell the difference between cheap brands and more expensive brands in a blind taste test. Did tests both with straight vodka and mixed drinks -- although I don't believe they tried it with Red Bull. ;)

You can probably guess the result. No one in the group was really able to tell a difference, or was able to pick out what they claimed was their preferred brand.

USMaC
Jun 13, 2007, 08:58 AM
There is definitely a difference among vodkas, and it is worth it to pay a bit more for a good one. I've been lucky to have the opportunity to try quite a few over the last few years (see location).

Although it is not the best, I have grown partial to Russian Standard Platinum, especially ice-cold and straight out of the freezer.

jayb2000
Jun 13, 2007, 09:27 AM
A good vodka and tonic with a slice of lime - its like Summer in a glass :D

Some people like what I call "oily" vodkas, Grey Goose is one, and there is one from Maine called Cold River (http://www.coldrivervodka.com/splash.php)(my favorite).
Others prefer smoother, but stronger flavors, like Ketel One.

But, since the flavors tend to be much milder than say Whisky or Gin, people are often more aware of the alcohol.

I would suggest trying a couple of different ones, maybe just a shot with an ice cube or two. See if you like any.

Stoli and Absolute are similar prices and different tastes.

miniConvert
Jun 13, 2007, 09:28 AM
You can probably guess the result. No one in the group was really able to tell a difference, or was able to pick out what they claimed was their preferred brand.
Mythbusters did this test and they were able to order a range of Vodka's according to their quality.

Have a measure of Smirnoff and a measure of Stolichnaya Elit and I guarantee that even you could tell the difference ;)

Queso
Jun 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
Mythbusters did this test and they were able to order a range of Vodka's according to their quality.

Have a measure of Smirnoff and a measure of Stolichnaya Elit and I guarantee that even you could tell the difference ;)
Definitely. There's a massive difference in how smooth those two are.

Teddy's
Jun 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Ok, here we go.

What about that mix of dirt and water (in the mop) when you clean up the floor.

AND

Whisky Scotch.

That I can confirm that they taste the same (college prank).

/embarrased

puckhead193
Jun 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
I like vodka mixed with different juices. i did a shot once of the goose. It wasn't a great but better then having all-star vodka (a very cheep vodka

I was watching I think 20 20 or dateline one night and they had a group of people do some taste testing of different vodkas, and all of them couldn't tell the different between the cheep and the top shelf vodka when mixed with another liquid. They could however tell the difference between the two when doing shots

jng
Jun 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
My parents got me a liter of Cork Dry Gin when they went to Ireland again in April (Chaperoning a high school trip too. Tsk tsk. :rolleyes: ). As with your vodka, SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. I need to find a place to buy it in the US. :cool:

Sad thing is I don't even remember what it was called. Even if I could it wouldn't help much I guess since the name was Russian. And I can't read Russian. =/

I've been meaning to go into some Russian markets, but then I remembered that American markets aren't allowed to sell alcohol. Boo. Going back to Europe will be easier.

jng
Jun 13, 2007, 10:29 AM
I once had a vodka called "Soviet" or something. Lesson learned. ;)

They sell 1.75L bottles of vodka where you live? :confused: The bottles here are either 750 ml or 1litre (most companies sell both), although maybe I didn't find larger bottles because I wasn't actively looking for them.

I've bought "gallon" or near gallon sized bottles of Smirnoff from Kappy's liquor for parties.

They're usually separate from all the other (smaller) bottles on the shelf.

Mord
Jun 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
<random thread> And no I've never drank rubbing alcohol, but it has the same smell and the link between smell and taste are pretty similar.

Confirm/Deny?

I've drunk rubbing alcohol and I can honestly say vodka tastes better than it.

miniConvert
Jun 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
I've drunk rubbing alcohol and I can honestly say vodka tastes better than it.
LoL! Well now we know!

*Trundles off with a feeling of completeness*

PlaceofDis
Jun 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
LoL! Well now we know!

*Trundles off with a feeling of completeness*

time to lock this thread. :p

M3G4
Jun 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
Vodka always reminded me of something between paint stripper and disenfectant. How anyone can do that stuff in shots, let alone straight, is beyond me.

I like Apple Sourz.. flavoured vodka I think...

Mike Teezie
Jun 13, 2007, 11:49 AM
I can't imagine shooting Vodka, but it's my favorite spirit without a doubt.

I prefer a Stoli and soda, with a lime twist.

M3G4
Jun 13, 2007, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine shooting Vodka, but it's my favorite spirit without a doubt.

I prefer a Stoli and soda, with a lime twist.

I tried it once, but i had a drop of orange juice in there to try and counteract the taste - it was unbelieveably foul! lol :D

paddy
Jun 13, 2007, 12:07 PM
Vodka=yuck, Hennessy for me!

cycocelica
Jun 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
You should try Monarch Vodka. That stuff is high class.;)

puckhead193
Jun 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
You should try Monarch Vodka. That stuff is high class.;)

nothing is worst then "all star"

cycocelica
Jun 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
nothing is worst then "all star"

I disagree. Nothing can beat Idaho Gold.

SMM
Jun 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
I like vodka drinks. I think it really is the best mixing alcohol. If I am going to drink it 'close' to straight, it is in an extremely dry gibson.

Once made from potatoes, virtually all vodka is now 'neutral grain spirits' (NGS). Very cheap to make. Aging is usually not done, except to provide some 'smoothness'. NSG are also used to make cheap whiskey. Seagram's 7 is (as I recall) 20% actual whiskey, and 80% NGS.

Given a choice, my preference is for old malts, or well-crafted bourbons.

fotografica
Jun 13, 2007, 08:30 PM

EXACTLY!

Teh Don Ditty
Jun 13, 2007, 08:51 PM
Grey Goose is not cheap...
Vodka tastes pretty good, but it depends on how your drinking it. I had some redbull/vodka earlier this evening- it was great. I'm not a huge vodka shot fan, gotta mix it with something. Whereas I know of a certain mac rumors member who's all for vodka shots.

How did I miss this thread?!?!?

Vodka Shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How I love thee! (Straight or vodka based)

Do not insult my pride and joy... Grey Goose. Mmmmm loves me some Grey Goose. Loves my vodka.

Don't settle for the cheap crap, like the stuff they serve at bars.

Legolamb
Jun 13, 2007, 09:45 PM
Definitely an acquired taste for me. I started with Zubrowka that I bought in Poland at a time when the US thought that the Polish buffalo grass herb in the bottle was a hallucinogenic. In Poland it was considered an aphrodesiac. I found it just made me sleepy. Then I hit on gin martinis, preferably Bombay Saphire or, in winter, Tanquery Ten. I've recently discovered Hendrick's gin. Yum.

jdechko
Jun 14, 2007, 12:13 PM

Confirm/Deny?

How about the fact that both Vodka and rubbing alcohol both contain large amounts of ethanol?

Sorry to actually answer the original question posted in the thread, but I'm not a drinker anyway. :D

fairnymph
Jun 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
My view: vodka tastes awful, but less awful than anything else. And it's an easier flavour to mask, which is why I prefer it (in addition to it providing a 'cleaner' and less sedating inebriation than other forms of alcohol, for me).

floyde
Jun 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
In my experience, I have to say that rubbing alcohol tastes better :eek: But anyways... who drinks alcohol for the taste of it? :confused: ;)

Queso
Jun 14, 2007, 12:29 PM
In my experience, I have to say that rubbing alcohol tastes better :eek: But anyways... who drinks alcohol for the taste of it? :confused: ;)
With red wine definitely. Nothing beats a decent Merlot.

Although Baileys, Amaretto, and even a Mojito all give it a run for its money :)

Jun 14, 2007, 12:30 PM
But anyways... who drinks alcohol for the taste of it? :confused: ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't you like the taste of a cold beer after a hard day of work?

ezzie
Jun 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
How did I miss this thread?!?!?

Vodka Shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How I love thee! (Straight or vodka based)

Do not insult my pride and joy... Grey Goose. Mmmmm loves me some Grey Goose. Loves my vodka.

Don't settle for the cheap crap, like the stuff they serve at bars.

mmm...Grey Goose is just about the only vodka i can stand at this point in my life. for me, it's not so much the taste difference between GG and the cheaper vodkas; it's the smoothness of the GG that makes it a winner.

i had a terrible run in with a bottle of Skyy vodka my first year of college. all i remember is drinking an entire bottle (straight from the bottle, just my roomie and i) then being dragged to the boys' bathroom and placed in front of a toilet for half an hour. i woke up in my bed the next morning with no pants, my hair pulled back in a ponytail, and a terrible hangover.

needless to say, i swore off vodka for a few years. ;)

floyde
Jun 14, 2007, 12:39 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't you like the taste of a cold beer after a hard day of work?

Well that I do :) But lately I've been thinking that the taste of my beer is directly proportional to the hardness of my work day... Na I'm just kidding, I do like the taste of some drinks (specially beer), but most of the stuff you get at clubs and such are more focused on the effect of the drink rather than the taste of it.

smokeyrabbit
Jun 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
How about the fact that both Vodka and rubbing alcohol both contain large amounts of ethanol?

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol; you don't want to drink it.

And I'm more of a rum imbiber. Arrrggghhh!

Phat Elvis
Jun 14, 2007, 04:12 PM
Definitely an acquired taste for me. I started with Zubrowka that I bought in Poland at a time when the US thought that the Polish buffalo grass herb in the bottle was a hallucinogenic. In Poland it was considered an aphrodesiac. I found it just made me sleepy. Then I hit on gin martinis, preferably Bombay Saphire or, in winter, Tanquery Ten. I've recently discovered Hendrick's gin. Yum.

I was not that impressed with Zubrowka. I mostly drink Chopin or Tanqueray Sterling (vodka not gin). Belvedere and Hanger One are also good.

I will give a HUGE thumbs up for the Hendrick's gin. I drink it on the rocks with a lemon twist. Nice...

Don't panic
Jun 14, 2007, 04:19 PM

also those yards of protruding nose must be fairly hard to navigate around with in crowded places...

jdechko
Jun 15, 2007, 10:11 AM
Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol

Not to argue, but:

Rubbing alcohol, U.S.P. / B.P. is a liquid prepared for topical application prepared from specially denatured alcohol and containing 68.5-71.5% vol./vol. of absolute (ie. 100%) alcohol. However, individual manufacturers can use their own "formulation standards" in which the ethanol content usually ranges from 70-95% v/v.
The British Pharmacopoeia and United States Pharmacopoeia define the term alcohol as a mixture of ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol, C2H5OH=46.07) and water of fixed proportions. Alcohol, B.P. is 96% ethanol v/v, and Alcohol, U.S.P. is 95% ethanol v/v. Therefore, the term rubbing alcohol generally refers to a mixture using ethanol (ethyl alcohol).

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol would contain isopropanol, but not all rubbing alcohol's do contain it.

you don't want to drink it.

I'd agree with you there :D , although this was interesting

Rubbing alcohol is sometimes consumed by those who cannot afford or cannot legally buy beverage alcohol (ethanol). The minimum age of 21 to purchase alcohol in the United States does not apply to rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol products that contain methyl alcohol (methanol) can cause blindness or death when consumed.
Rubbing alcohol burns with a bright blue flame, which is almost invisible in the light, but visible in the dark. The higher the alcohol percentage, the richer the color, typically.

true777
Jun 17, 2007, 04:23 PM
To me every distilled spirit tastes like rubbing alcohol or worse.
I wouldn't put hard liquor into my body.

Plymouthbreezer
Jun 17, 2007, 05:43 PM
Deny, vodka is the only liquor I drink. But I must ask, what is your favorite spirit?
Same same.

Smirnoff Red Label Vodka (cheap cheap!) and OJ (also low cost), on the rocks, is the best.