PDA

View Full Version : The Weirdest/Scariest experiance with your mac

awulf
Jul 5, 2003, 10:37 AM
My First ever computer was a Mac Plus in 1995 (With System 6.0.8) that my dad gave me for my 10th birthday, so I didn't know much about computers and even was scared the Mac Plus, due to its weird behavior. At times I was either playing a game or making something with HyperCard and then all of a sudden it would freeze, but then the weird thing started to happen: The screen would turn white with black stripes dots, etc... Similar to a fuzzy TV screen and it would make noises at the same time. The only other computer I have seen doing this was a LC at school. Once I left it doing that for a while (I was too scared to go near it) and then it just turned back to what I was doing before.

I still have my Mac Plus (running 7.5.3) and I haven't seen it happen for a long time now.

I still don't know what the course was.

What are the weirdest things that have ever happened to your Mac?

MacManDan
Jul 5, 2003, 11:06 AM
Last October or November sometime .. my PowerBook G4 DVI woke me up in the middle of the night making this horrid noise that sounded like a really loud fan. Trust me .. it was loud! It woke up both my girlfriend and I ..

It ended up being that my hard drive was dead and the sound I heard were the actual platters spinning loudly in their full 5400 rpm .. I think they were hitting something while they were spinning or even rubbing against the side...

But anyway .. the same thing is happening again NOW, as I type this. Another dead harddrive .. <sigh> :mad: :(

Which reminds me .. I need to call Apple

KentuckyApple
Jul 5, 2003, 11:21 AM
I was overclocking my 6100 and I accidentally ripped two of the clock chip pins off of the motherboard. When i tried to boot, all i heard was silence and then a terrible dying animal sound every minute or so. When I pushed on the chip the computer worked, but only as long as I kept my finger there. Somehow the service center gave me a new motherboard under warranty!

Heltik
Jul 5, 2003, 01:46 PM
That hard drive one reminds me of once when I came back to my own Mac hard disc trashing.

I was really rather distraught, I can tell you.

Anyroads, when I finally figured that I should calm down and take a peek at it, it turned out to be the noise made by that little Rubiks Cube rotaty maccy thing in Office for X.

:D

Steradian
Jul 5, 2003, 02:05 PM
well a while ago when I was working up til about 2 in the morning everynight on my Dossier (programming class project) I had borrowed my dad's mouse, and it had no problems, but about that time....I was falling asleep on the keyboard when I saw the mouse move without anysort of physical movement, then it open applications and such...man that freaked me out...I thought that it was a ghost or something...i dunno...I am gunna stop rambling now...

LimeLite
Jul 5, 2003, 02:51 PM
The scariest experience with my mac for me was one time when I was being dropped off at home. A whole bunch of us had gone out to a drive-in movie. I had brought my Graphite iBook along to watch some dvd's before the movie started. When I got home, I had a bunch of stuff to take out of the car. I placed my computer on the roof of the car, and then got the rest of my **** out, grabbed the computer, and walked to my door...or so I thought. I got to my door and realized, with utter fear, that my computer was still on the top of my friends car. I turned around just in time to see him driving away, with my computer still there. I freaked out. I chased after him but he was long gone. I called his cell maybe 3 times until he finally picked up. I was like, "Dude, listen to me carefully, stop your car, very, very slowly." Thank God for the iBook's rubber bottom, it hadn't moved at all. My iBook just went for the ride of it's life!

rainman::|:|
Jul 5, 2003, 03:08 PM
well, scary as in Oh **** scary, I once broke a pin off the HD in my LC II... I was sooo broke I couldn't afford a new one, and I was screwed. Luckily I managed to rig the pin into the cable, and as long as you didn't touch or vibrate the CPU, it was fine :)

scary as in eerie... any of the first times i heard the ROM sounds, like the infamous Death Chimes, or the breaking glass, etc. Very rarely have I heard any other than the Death Chimes or a solid tone similar to them...

i wonder if new Macs still have the death chimes in ROM... not much use for them anymore, but it would still be a cool legacy touch :)

pnw

Vlade
Jul 5, 2003, 03:09 PM
when I was really young my first revision iMac wouldn't do something (sleep, shut down, start up???), so i pushed the power button by the monitor to hard and broke it. The bad part was is that it was only 1/3rd mine, so i had to tell my brother/mom about it :(

jbomber
Jul 7, 2003, 08:14 PM
I was just about to start an internship in NY, and it's my first night in a new apt. everything's almost set up, and i unpack my trusty 8500/150. I'm checking all the connections, and i'm fiddling with my secondary harddrive when suddenly one of the little things on the circuit board FALLS OFF AND BOUNCES INTO A VENT!

Totally out of reach and my machine refused to boot - big surprise....

I eventually got it out and did a patchy soldering job. It worked, but ol Betsy was never quite the same afterward. too temperamental...

MoparShaha
Jul 7, 2003, 08:47 PM
Was using my Performa 630CD (CD-ROM--yeah!! :D ) and it got all screwy (can you say 8 Mb RAM?). Restarted it and got the chimes of death. Really freaky stuff.

By the way, if you want to hear all the old and current mac sounds, get Mactracker (http://www.mactracker.ca/) .

Simon Liquid
Jul 7, 2003, 09:29 PM
When my Quicksilver machine was pristine and beautiful, it gave me the fright of my life.

I was leaving college for two weeks vacation between spring and summer terms. When I came back, I was going to be in a new dorm so I had to put everything into storage. At the last minute, my ride to the airport fell through so instead of having an afternoon to pack and clean my room to check out, I had about an hour to scramble if I wanted to catch the shuttle into the city.

In the midst of the panic, I had to pack my beloved machine. I opened the box and took out the styrofoam. When I first put the computer in, it didn't fit the cavity, so I rotated it 90 degrees and got ready to put it back in. At this point, I looked down and saw the bottom side facing me. For a split second, I had no idea what I was looking at. I thought perhaps I'd banged it and knocked the plastic off of the front. I figured it out a moment later, but for that duration I'm sure my heart stopped.

Runner up: When I was in HS I did tech support work with some other student for the Network Admin. We did all sorts of insane things with surplus hardware, some of it brilliant and creative, some of it just plain stupid.

Two of my friends had dismembered a Mac Plus with the vague intent of making an aquarium out of it. There was most of a board from it, the part with the power supply and a bunch of capacitors. The little monitor was connected somehow, but an incredible number of pieces missing or broken. At some point, an idiot who was always hanging out in our area plugged this into an outlet and flipped the switch. It made an awful humming noise that I still dream about, but we got it turned off before anyone was hurt.

Billicus
Jul 7, 2003, 10:12 PM
My computer booted one time and said that my internal hard disk was unreadable...And asked how to format it. Wait, maybe I was booted from a cd...:confused:

Nermal
Jul 7, 2003, 10:14 PM
I've only had my Mac since February so haven't had anything as weird as some of the stuff here. The weirdest thing I've had so far was me putting my iBook to sleep, taking it to a friend's place, then he opened the lid and it crashed. It's never done that to me before, I reckon it just doesn't like him cause he keeps saying that Macs are dumb or gay or stupid or whatever (and of course can't tell me WHY!)

Doctor Q
Jul 7, 2003, 10:55 PM
How many of you know the exact date and time of your scariest Mac moment? Mine was January 17, 1994, at 4:30:55 am.

It was the Northridge earthquake (http://www.scecdc.scec.org/slidesho.html) here in Los Angeles. I awoke to find the house swaying and I heard crashing noises. Drawers were open, loose items had fallen in every room, the chimney had collapsed, and my huge bookshelf (you should see how many heavy technical books I have) had fallen over, spreading books all over the room in which my expensive Macintosh Quadra 840AV (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112217) lived. I found the Mac (tower form factor) on the other side of its 6-foot table, still standing up. It had "walked" all the way across. If it had walked in the other direction, it would have gone crashing to the floor amid the other "rubble".

job
Jul 7, 2003, 11:07 PM
My first and only Kernal Panic.

Two years ago.

With 10.0.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 7, 2003, 11:33 PM
Kernal panics are the only thing that freak me out now with osx (and I've only had two in well over two years) but my first freak out with a mac was with my Mac Classic when I got my first flashing question mark. I had no idea what it meant at the time and I was starting up to try to print a paper for class. I was screwed and shortly after the computer hit the trash. I was ticked off when later I learned I could have kept it and tried for a fish tank out of it.

trebblekicked
Jul 7, 2003, 11:43 PM
my worst mac moment ever, EVER, was last week, when human error led me to accidentally delete 28 GB worth of animal club (my sketch comedy group) files. All the AV stuff was backed up, most of the graphics were too, but i had over 400 sketches, 200 other Word files, and several databases and spreadsheets that hadn't been backed up in two weeks. ALL OF IT. GONE! i wanted to cry and throw up all at once. In the end, i used virtual lab to recover the office files, and restored the AV and graphics from my other machine. In the end, i lost one document that i had to rewrite. not bad.

The other was when my (then brand new) tibook took a 5-foot dive off a speaker cabinet. battery popped out, computer shut off. put the battery back in, and it booted fine. No problems since.

simX
Jul 8, 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by LimeLite
The scariest experience with my mac for me was one time when I was being dropped off at home. A whole bunch of us had gone out to a drive-in movie. I had brought my Graphite iBook along to watch some dvd's before the movie started. When I got home, I had a bunch of stuff to take out of the car. I placed my computer on the roof of the car, and then got the rest of my **** out, grabbed the computer, and walked to my door...or so I thought. I got to my door and realized, with utter fear, that my computer was still on the top of my friends car. I turned around just in time to see him driving away, with my computer still there. I freaked out. I chased after him but he was long gone. I called his cell maybe 3 times until he finally picked up. I was like, "Dude, listen to me carefully, stop your car, very, very slowly." Thank God for the iBook's rubber bottom, it hadn't moved at all. My iBook just went for the ride of it's life!

Haha that's great! I would've been scared out of my skin if I saw that happen, even if it wasn't mine. :p

MacBandit
Jul 8, 2003, 02:08 AM
The scariest experience I ever had was with my PowerMac 7100/80. It was in a dark time of my life. A few of us have been in that sort of place in our lives so you know what I mean. Well anyway I was spending a lot of time up way late at night by myself. I had many almost out of body experiences and sort of hallucinations on these late night binges that I was on for those few months. Well I was playing with the program Morph just morphing this or that. Well it was very late at night and I started a new morphing transition. I can't remember the images I was morphing from to but that really doesn't matter. Well about halfway through the transition it just stops and in the twisted distorted mess that is in the middle of a transition was the obvious image of Satan. I nearly **** myself. I quit the program and restarted it and ran the same morph again. It stopped again at the same point with the same obvious image. I did this several times even reinstalling my system and trying it again it always did the same thing. So I saved the final image and finally went to bed. I woke the next day and started up the computer and opened the image to just be sure I wasn't seeing thing but hell no it was exactly what I thought it was the night before. I ended up reformating and deleting morph and haven't touched another morphing program until just a week ago.

The whole experience would have been freaky on it's own but tie it together with a bad period in your life and you get a horrifying experience that you will never forget.

tazo
Jul 8, 2003, 02:37 AM
my imac didnt turn on. but then i found out it was a bad powercord and got it fixed.
:)

SilvorX
Jul 8, 2003, 03:23 AM
well i havent had many problems yet.
when i got back from ottawa ontario in early may, i had my ibook off and closed and in a safe spot for a week and when i got back, i opened up the ibook, there was this green static appearing on the computer in certain spots, i dont know what happend but it still does that and i need to get it fixed as soon as i go to the computer store next

either than that, once i was on OS9 and the system crashed and i had to restart and the os9 system needed reinstalling although the default os is OSX, and once when i went in os9 once again, i was having problems selecting OSX in the system disc and then the finder crashed, tried restarting 3 times, on the 3rd time the kernel panic showed up, i was so freaked out but after that time osx worked fine :D...well for a few weeks, and that was only a week after i got my ibook back in dec

blogo
Jul 8, 2003, 03:32 AM
It was pretty scary the first time i went into a totally dark room to discover that the powerlight pulsates when the mac is in sleep mode. :)

GroundLoop
Jul 8, 2003, 07:03 AM
The moment that I realized that I am posting on a Mac rumor site, and I have never owned a Mac. That will change once the G5 XServes and an updated 12" PowerBook comes out.

Hickman

jeffosx
Jul 8, 2003, 08:14 AM
Not really Mac specific but last week we had a goodbye party for a bunch of staff made redundent and a bunch of the staff made an iMovie of the event to show everyone. I put it on my firewire drive to use my PB to show it and in hooking it up it dropped off the table and died with over 50 Gb worth of data on it. Only time I ever even bumped the damn thing. Couldnt get it recognised again argh. If we had a decent ethernet connection (base 10) and decent size space on the servers I would have a backup...

alia
Jul 8, 2003, 08:52 AM
My scariest (stupidist?) moment with my old Performa 5200CD was courtesy of my mom. If you remember, the 5200CD was an all-in-one machine, like the imac.

Well, my mom had always yelled at me about drinking soda near my machine, so one evening, I was drinking a diet soda and went to place it next to my keyboard. After a moment of remembering my mom's constant warnings, however, I placed it up on a bookshelf next to me, away from the computer.

Not even a minute later, the bookend holding back all of the books failed and all of the books fell along the shelf, flinging my can off the shelf and onto the top of my mac. I scrambled to pull the plug as fast as I could, but it had spilled all the way down my monitor right onto my logic board.

The board was $800 to replace.

If I had ignored my mom and placed the soda by the keyboard and it spilled, all I would have ruined was my keyboard. Oh well... thanks mom! :rolleyes:

:)

Alia

Eniregnat
Jul 8, 2003, 10:37 AM
Some friends and I decided that we would start designing our own hardware for our Apples //s.

We figured that we could make a better joystick. We couldn’t find any specs for the ports, so we used a multi-meter. We found out that the joystick worked with resistance and that the closed Apple and Open Apple were also registered as joystick buttons. This new knowledge gave us the confidence to make larger leaps, like soldering our own cards up. We found Apple ][ shaped blank cards at a local electronics store. He also found some board level specs for us. Our Apple MLX codeing was shoddy and my soldering and math was worse! Moments after powering up our little card (an attempt at a simple analogue interface) the computer made a noise similar to R2D2 being fried. It also started to smoke.

The card was not happy, but the computer was none the worse for ware (less the greasy black soot that took forever to clean off). Like R2, it didn’t seem to be phased. My parents never knew that I nearly destroyed the most expensive item in our home. Though they did toss the toaster after I explained that it was the source of the strange burning smell.

The guy at the electronics store was not surprised.
Neither was the teacher at the computer lab.

(Did I kill this thread?)

brianbobcat
Aug 14, 2003, 10:59 PM
I've had three really scarie moments. I have a grape iMac DV running in OS X.
#1. Lately, OS X has been really slow so i restarted it. It took about thirty minutes to restart and scared the **** out of me cause i thought it was never gonna finish restarting.

#2. I was playing around with airport and the ethernet cable on my computer. I wanted to test airport, so I pulled the ethernet cable out. The second i did that, my computer shut down. I didn't know what happened and couldn't get it on again. After ten minutes of thinking i busted my comp, i checked the power cable and realized that i had just knocked it loose when i pulled out the power cable.

#3. I was typing a short story when the keyboard acted up. I went to save it with ? s, but instead of saving, it highlighted everything. Then i went to save again with ?s, it deleated everything. now, all i wanted to do was quit. i pressed ? Q, and it saved. I immedately went to the menu and quit, but by then, the damage had been done and i lost everything.

-Brian

P.S. Let this be a lesson to everyone, don't be lazy and use the shortcuts.

Doctor Q
Aug 14, 2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by brianbobcat
I was typing a short story...i lost everything.Lucky it was a short story.

I read that former president Jimmy Carter once accidentally erased a huge section of a book he was writing.

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by brianbobcat

#3. I was typing a short story when the keyboard acted up. I went to save it with ? s, but instead of saving, it highlighted everything.

Shouldn't you have been able to hit undo?

GraphicUmp
Aug 15, 2003, 12:32 PM
I have owned a Mac since 1991 (Classic, 550CD, 6200CD, 7300, Beige DT, B&W) and last night was the worst. I've had a couple hard drives suddenly lose their brains, but I've always had backups (fortunately).

I was working on the B&W when the video signal died. Yellow light on the monitor. Hard drive still working....rebooted. Light grey screen with dark grey vertical bands :(

Shut down, switched the card (Radeon 7000) to another slot, rebooted. Same damn screen.

Shut down, put the old Rage 128 in, video fine. The 7000's 4 months old :mad:

Did the Warranty RMA thing on ATI's site, haven't gotten a response. Of course, they're located around Toronto - they probably don't have power!

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:01 PM
My scariest story with my Mac....two years ago my roommate spilt a glass of water *all* over the keyboard of my PowerBook. The thing shut down automatically, thank God. I am not sure if it was a safety mechanism or a failure, but it shut down completely. I basically opened the keyboard and removed everythig and dried it all out. I decided to let it dry for a day and so the next day I checked to see if it was dry and started it up...it made a weird sound when it chimmed but it started up, so I shut it down and let it sit by the window for a while to dry off any more. I took it to the Apple Store for them to check it out and after a full lookover, they said it looked fine, so we turned it on, it chimmed like normal and it all seemed to work like it should. I swear, my roommate gave me a heart attack that day! Coincidentally, he also lost a rubber foot on the bottom of my PowerBook when he was using it while I was away for the weekend...he has the habit of turning and positioning it without first picking it up, so the friction basically pulled one of the feet off. So there is a good moral to this story for all you college freshmen out there...immediately instruct your new roommate that if they touch your Mac, they may learn a whole new meaning to "booting" up...

rueyeet
Aug 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
The whole experience would have been freaky on it's own but tie it together with a bad period in your life and you get a horrifying experience that you will never forget.

Freakiness and bad life time are never, never helped by the wee hours of the night/morning. Mmmm, 3 am conversations.

I nominate myself for the absolute dumbest scare story on the thread. I should be ashamed of myself, I really should. :o

I think I've mentioned that I'm a switcher, yes? Well, one of the first things I did when I got my brand new shiny TiBook was to download Mozilla for it. The .sit file downloaded fine, of course, and un-stuffed itself. And then a thing appears on the desktop with .dmg on it, out of nowhere! I had absolutely *NO* idea what this was, had read no guides to the Mac OS, and as .dmg sounded like "damage" in my sudden state of panic, I was afraid to do anything to it.

So I brought the computer, in sleep mode, with me to visit my sister, where her Machead husband laughed at me for a minute before explaining Mac software installs to me. Oh! Duh.

As a person with a BS in computer science (though outdated) it was a new experience--and a hearty embarassment--to know so little about my own system. I went right out and bought Coursey's Switcher's Guide to the Mac and read it through.

No problems since--except in getting my friend's XP laptop to access the internet over my Airport/DSL connection. But that's a frustration story, not a scary story. :D

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 02:03 PM
The .dmg file thing is actually understandable, because on the PC side, .dmg actually refers to a file that is marked as damaged (I think it is Norton? I don't remember) but when it finds a file that seems to be corrupt, it apends that extention to the file.

stylum
Aug 15, 2003, 02:33 PM
this one is worst...or dumber

The first week with my tablet,
i was toying with the "eraser" end of my graphire pen, turning it etc. and left it in a different position than it was...

next thing i know i canīt pick nothing with it, no clicking nothing,
canīt control my machine, so i perform a Clean Install out of panic and ignorance,
to find later the problem persisted, go back to my puck mouse and it works well!!

It was the slightly rotated eraser cap of my pen... i found out 24 hours later

In my behalf i should say this was my first computer ever...

dxp4acu
Aug 15, 2003, 02:43 PM
when i was on my mac plus back in the 90s, I had just discovered Desk Accessories. One of the types of accessory was similar to a screen saver. I decided to run like 10-12 of these at once! It totally destroyed the screen and I couldn't restart the computer until we got it fixed 2 or 3 weeks later. Scary!

SilentPanda
Aug 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
I turned on the option in OS X to read warning messages to me... I figured I might start some long process and be sitting there watching TV oblivious that something had gone wrong or user input was needed... good idea... in theory...

I have Backup set to run at 4am... there's a *good* chance I'm asleep at that time and so it'll never intrude... until of course...

Sleeping.. sleeping... internet connection goes down sometime before 4am... all of the sudden my life goes from dream to something in the nature of "Excuse me! Back cannot connect to the iDisk server!" echoing throughout your apartment. That pretty much freaked me out enough (especially since I had been rocking out with iTunes before I went to bed and the volume was up loud). I think it need not be said that that option is no longer enabled.

MacsRgr8
Aug 15, 2003, 03:10 PM
My moment made my heart skip a couple of beats....

I have a G4 hooked up to my living room stereo set, where iTunes Radio gets to be played quite loud when I have friends over.
One night I had a girlfreind over, and we had the usual iTunes Radio LOUD screaming over the stereo, and after some time I quitted iTunes so we could watch a movie.
Usually I have iChat active. And this night was no exception...
After watching this movie, the girlfriend and I became kinda romantic... it was nice and quiet... no-one around.... sitting on the couch... looking in eachothers eyes... starting to kiss.... getting more serious....
...G4: " YOU'RE BUDDY <NAME> HAS LOGGED IN ! ! ! ! "

Hotdamn!!!!

I forgot: my iChat was still active, yep the pref setting: "speak text when buddy logs in"

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 03:22 PM
I've noticed that having your Mac speak to you almost always results in a minor heart attack...I turned that option of for much the same reason since it always happens when you least expect it.

MacsRgr8
Aug 15, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've noticed that having your Mac speak to you almost always results in a minor heart attack...I turned that option of for much the same reason since it always happens when you least expect it.

Indeed.
If you EXPECT it to speak, its cute and amusing, when it does.
If you DON'T EXPECT it to speak, it will shorten your life considerably.

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
Yesterday. I was installing RAM in a client's computer when the power went out. He thought I blew up his computer or something. It was pretty funny, but the walk home SUCKED.

Chealion
Aug 15, 2003, 05:24 PM
When I accidentally hit the power switch on my Mac stopping Mac OS X from booting up, restart it up, and it won't start up, so I hold command-S to get to single user mode but three letters on the left side scroll up the screen in grey (the background was white) C L R...

Dunno what happened, restarted off the hard drive i use for Classic then rebooted back into X and it was right as rain.

King Cobra
Aug 15, 2003, 05:56 PM
This is a different type of "scary"...

Perhaps it was 6 years ago, but it was during the days of System 7. My father was using his Performa with speech enabled.

My father told the computer speech character (a robot) to "shut down". As soon as my father said this did, most of the other houses down our street lost power.

A recent one, but not so scary...yesterday I had a kernel panic when trying to print something out.

Edit: Yesterday (this time, Aug. 28) I unplugged and plugged in my USB extention for my audio with the dial off and I received two iTunes unexpectedly quit messages in a row.

Kyle
Aug 28, 2003, 02:22 PM
When I spilled coffee on my iBook before it was one year old.

That was horrible, and cost $121.

TEG
Aug 28, 2003, 03:36 PM
One scarry thing: I was at a clients house, and was printing off a bill for him on his printer, the USB cable was almost too short. My TiBook was leaning up to the side of the desk. I went out to his living room to give him the bill, when I heard a huge crash. Well his daughter had gone into the room to get something and hit the desk, causing my TiBook to crash onto the floor. No real dammage, just the spacer in the USB port was broken. The port was still usable for my mouse, but a few days later, I called Apple Care, and they replaced the MB no questions asked.

Another Scarry thing.... I was driving to Seattle, WA from Portland, OR on I-5. I had my TiBook on the passenger seat of my car (Not in my satche where is usually lives durring travel). Well, a Mercury Couger cut infront of me and slammed on his brakes, I followed suit, and my TiBook ended up on the floor of my car and now has a small wowie on the left side behind the screen. Still works great though.

PC Scariness.

Had a P-166 and replaced the fan and heatsink with a better model, when I put the CPU back in, and started up, I smelled burning, and error sounds, shut down and found that about 5 pins of the CPU were missing, and later found them in the socket. I had to by a new MB and Proc. $675 total cost.

In 10th Grade was fixing a screwy 486, and while running, I was screwing in the video card, when I dropped the screw inside. A burning smell, but the machine continued to work, because I powered it off.

TEG

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 28, 2003, 04:46 PM
my family got a new power mac g4 and then a few weeks later one morning i spilled hot tea on the keyboard. the cd tray was opening and closing..i pulled the plug, went to class, had to wait all day to get a new keyboard and get home. plugged it in and it worked fine. my dad had taken a grape iMac keyboard home from work and plugged it in and everything was ok, but while i was gone all day i was a nervous wreck.

ij00mini
Jul 4, 2006, 11:53 AM
for a good couple of weeks, my iMac G5 would turn itself on by itself in the middle of the night. I posted my problem on the Apple forums and opened up the iMac and reset the SMU. Nothing worked. Turns out my eyeTV was set to turn the iMac on to record a show (stupid me).

A scarier moment was when I used some application to remove unnecessary languages from my computer. I thought, "I'm never going to need Japanese.." or a handful of other languages. I saved myself aroud 230 MB and caused myself a whole lot of anguish. The iMac would not start up. I had to archive and install 10.4 and for some reason, all of my preferences and settings were saved... weird.

dpaanlka
Jul 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
Had a PowerBook 190 start smoking right in front of me. I hadn't booted it in months, as it has some problems, so I decided to try booting it again and it caught fire!

yg17
Jul 4, 2006, 12:47 PM
I had installed a new DVD burner in my G5, and after it was installed and I hooked everything back up, the Mac wouldn't boot. Nothing, not even a startup bong or any sign of life. I thought I must've accidentally killed it with static electricity or something and was scared ********.

I forgot to plug the power cable back in :D

yellow
Jul 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
Once in a great while, for whatever reason, I will login and I my Dock & Desktop Picture will be 2 years out of date. I cannot for the life of me figure out WHERE it's getting the info. A logout and log back in fixes it. It's like the ghost of a 2 year old login. :eek:

iGary
Jul 4, 2006, 12:53 PM
When smoke started pouring out of my Cinema Display.

thegreatluke
Jul 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
My first ever Mac was an aging 400 MHz Sawtooth that I intended to upgrade.

Bad idea.

I'm sure the seller didn't realize it, but the power supply was dying. One day, I shook the mouse to get it to wake up, and the display wouldn't work. Nothing would make it work. I switched it with one of the others in the house, and then another, and the displays each worked for a while then stopped working. I actually went through two other displays that I got from Craig's List.

Luckily, I was able to save up $1800 to buy an MBP. :) (I'm a student; $2k doesn't come easily to me.)

...And then a thing appears on the desktop with .dmg on it, out of nowhere! I had absolutely *NO* idea what this was, had read no guides to the Mac OS, and as .dmg sounded like "damage" in my sudden state of panic...
Whenever I see a .dmg, I still say "damage" in my head even though I know it's "disk image." :D

paleck
Jul 4, 2006, 05:23 PM
Last year about a month after I had switched to Mac. I had just downloaded an installed some updates for Tiger and had to leave for work, so when software updater asked to shutdown or restart I told it to shutdown. When I came home and turned it on, the display didn't turn on. Then all of a sudden the fans came on full blast and I thought that my new PowerMac was getting ready for take-off. I shut it off and then turned it back on and everything went back to normal.

Nothing serious I know, but having only had my Mac for a month I thought that I had made a very expensive paperweight by running updates. :D

ham_man
Jul 4, 2006, 05:40 PM
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!! :p

My scariest experience? When I screwed up the head of one of the screws on the RAM slot on the bottom of my PowerBook. Luckily, the guy at CompUSA was able to get the thing open and put in my RAM...

ricksbrain
Jul 4, 2006, 09:06 PM
During Hurricane Katrina, I knocked my tibook off a coffee table while looking for a flashlight in the dark. Not a single thing happened to the case, but I lost my period key. Oddly, the hurricane seemed much less important until I knew my 'book was ok.

I keep the key off as a battle scar. :rolleyes:

I'm sentimental like that.

trainguy77
Jul 4, 2006, 09:49 PM
I went to use my brothers imac when i was about 10. I turned it on and some error came up while it was booting OS 9. I was scared because i did not ask to use his computer. I thought it would be ok. But then when he went to use it , it did not turn on. :eek: Its turned out ok.

iShane
Jul 4, 2006, 10:33 PM
I was letting my sister use my TiBook one day and she cracked the hinges by moving the screen back too far. I was pretty mad but I forgave her for it.

mjstew33
Jul 4, 2006, 10:56 PM
I was falling a sleep and I fell asleep with my iBook on my lap and next my bed is a wall and it fell and when I woke up it was still awake with the screen open.. scared me to death.

When I had my iBook in a case and i unizipped it to get something out of it i then walked outside to do something and it was on the seat and when i got back in i grabbed the case <unzipped> and my iBook flew out on to the CEMENT. scared me to death ... and it was fine.. :eek:

oh, and my step mom smashed my 4 day old ibook's screen.. so now the one i have is new.. :)

Erasmus
Jul 4, 2006, 11:19 PM
I have had two problems with my G4 Cube. The first was my power brick stopped working. No big deal, just got it replaced on Warranty.

The second was more bizzarre.
My computer kept doing the "Folder question mark flash" on startup. It only seemed to happen when I'd been using it for a while, hen just shut it down and tried to start it up again. Luckily my dad's laptop HD had recently died (he had warning and backed it up) so HD failure was on our minds.
So I tried to back stuff up, but it never worked. I left it for a couple of days, until it FINALLY started working, left it a while, it went to sleep, and didn't wake. I think there is another thread here about what happens when a HD is removed while the computer is on.

So a few days later, I finally got a chance to back up some stuff on thumbdrives. My dad got it replaced with a cool 250Gb HD.
Pity my computer can only read 128GB of it.

Ditto with the .dmg's. It so says "Damage".

Oh, and the time a few years ago I pulled out our old IIe and set it up to play some corny "Black and Green" games. Smoke started coming out of the monitor. My dad said it was most likely just dust burning, but didn't it give me a shock! (even if the computer itself wasn't worth anything)

dazzer21
Jul 5, 2006, 02:31 PM
The second worst thing that EVER happened to me with my Macs was about four or so years ago when my 300MHz Powerbook G3 just died on me. Luckily, I'd backed uop the entire drive a couple of weeks before, but I'd lazily just carried on and not backed up since then, hence 2 weeks-worth of work (including 2 weeks-worth of job timesheets!:eek: GONE!).

The First worst thing EVER was being told what was wrong with it and how much it would cost to repair. From that very moment, I lost a good friend. :p

Still the most recent freakout came when my DoubleDoor G4 decided to reward me with an evening of complete frustration when out of nowhere, with a courier waiting to collect a disk, the machine locked up completely, requiring a restart which would not recognise the boot disk and had to be restarted from the System CD. When the installer had loaded up (took 5 minutes which seemed like hours), I quit and changed the startup disk back to 9.2. I found out to my utter horror that the crash had completely trashed whatever files and applications were open at the time. OS9.2, Quark XPress, Toast and the numerous files (including the files that were being put onto the CD for the motorcycle courier) would not respond at all.

Luckily the file was on an external disk with a recent backup, so I had to go back and do the last lot of revisions (about an hour's worth). Then was a complete re-install of the system and applications. Have since had to wipe the disk and do a complete re-instatement of everything on there. So what should have been a buzz-off at 7 and what the telly, turned into a 36-hour stint that I could have doone without. The annoying thing is, I haven't the foggiest idea why it happened...:mad:

Macmaniac
Jul 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Not with my mac, but with a mac I worked on.

I turned it on and a shower of sparks and smoke came pouring out of the monitor(it was an iMac G3)

Lets just say it really needed a new tube, and PAV board by the time that was done:eek: