PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary mac?

Heltik
Jul 5, 2003, 10:47 AM
Has anyone heard any news relating to a 20th Anniversary Mac?

I heard that Apple may be introducing a Cube style computer and if this is the case, then I'd buy that over a G5.

I was waiting for the original Cube line to be refreshed, when they decided to pull it, and I was **Heart Broken**, or something....

So if anyone has any news, then I'd be grateful.

Cheers.:D

KentuckyApple
Jul 5, 2003, 11:26 AM
There was one for Apple's 20th anniversary. It was really nice to look at, but didn't sell very well.

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/20th_mac/index.html

voicegy
Jul 5, 2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by KentuckyApple
There was one for Apple's 20th anniversary. It was really nice to look at, but didn't sell very well.

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/20th_mac/index.html

Yes, but when Steve came back and saw the back inventory on the TAM he decreed a "fire sale" and the price went down from outrageous to slightly ridiculous (from somewhere around $8,000 to $1,999). THEN they flew off the shelves and one landed in my home office for several years. What a beauty.

There have been cravings from sectors of the Mac community for a 25th Anniversary Macintosh, and, if there will be such a beast, it'll be unveiled at MacWorld next year. I say "if" because Steve has said nada, zero, zip on the possibility of such a machine...I think he may even be slightly against such a concept, given the state of the economy, etc. For myself, I hope I'm wrong...it would be tragic to NOT honor the "little MAchine that Could" with a spiffy limited edition that shows off the endurance, charm and class of the Mac and Apple as a whole....25 years later, and Apple still can wow us. Can you just imagine what it would look like? *sigh*

pyrotoaster
Jul 5, 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Heltik
Has anyone heard any news relating to a 20th Anniversary Mac?

I heard that Apple may be introducing a Cube style computer and if this is the case, then I'd buy that over a G5.

I was waiting for the original Cube line to be refreshed, when they decided to pull it, and I was **Heart Broken**, or something....

So if anyone has any news, then I'd be grateful.

Cheers.:D
While a new Cube would be nice (and I'm convinced that we'll see one some day), many people have pointed out that a real 20th Anniversary Mac would have to be an all-in-one, just like the original Mac (and the ever-popular iMac).

Really it's too early to know anything. I think Apple's definitely got something up its sleeve for the anniversary, but there's no law that says they have to label the machine as the "20th Anniversary Mac."

I don't think Steve will disappoint us (honestly, he rarely does).