Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
My mom is buying a new iMac 17" soon, and I was wondering how I would get the files from her Windows 98 machine to the iMac via Ethernet, because she doesn't have a burner. Would it be the same as networking to Macs, or would it require special software?

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
It is possible, but I would not recomend it if you are at all impatient. If you can, just burn her data onto CDs. Windows 98 has pretty poor networking and it is also very slow. There is a utility called DAVE by Thursby software that will help you. I believe they have an evaluation version that works for a month (long enough for you to do your job). Also, you will need a hub or a crossover ethernet cable.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
This brings up an interesting question for me:

Since the Mac mounts Windows FW drives no prob, couln't you just move the PC's HD to a FW enclosure, and connect it to the iMac?

Just guessing...

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
KentuckyApple -
Unfortunately, her PC only has a CD drive, so I cannot do that. I will look into getting Dave. I'm buying extra Ethernet cables anyway, to network all the computers and the DSL modem.

Voicegy -
If an Apple store would do it, then I'll buy from them.

Pianojoe -
If I had a firewire hard drive, that would be my first choice. Unfortunately, I don't, and I don't have enough other uses for it to justify buying one.

Everyone -
Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.