Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Anyone else wondering why the sudden drop in Apple stock price.

It is taking a pounding at present.

Looks like it may be time to buy some more.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Well, part of the problem is WWDC. Everyone is so used to Steve getting up there and making such large announcements, that another was expected.

When his keynote went over like a lead balloon...stock price suffered.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
I agree that it's probably a good time to buy. The P/E ratio is pretty low for the growth that's projected. People think the iPhone is already valued in the stock, but I disagree. Even if the iPhone only does well enough to simply make a profit, the stock price is still very reasonable.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Increasing market share & game announcements, plus Leopard, iPhone, new iPods and Macs to come.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
No, since then

Nose dive at 2pm of WWDC.

Unsurprisingly.

Actually I meant today. The drop after WWDC keynote was expected, although I am so fed up with the "build it up, build it up" view of some of our fellow posters who then are "completely underwhelmed".

From experience it is always worth buying the shares about 2 weeks before a major event, then selling on the morning of the event.

I am still a little shocked that SJ announced some pretty significant under-the-cover items for the latest cat and no-one really cares. Just goes to show that most the experts on this board are simply fan-boys.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I really wish it would go back up. Everyone was expecting something material (i.e., new iMac, etc.) to be announced, and it wasn't. So heres to wishing for an increase on June 29th.

psyqd

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I am still a little shocked that SJ announced some pretty significant under-the-cover items for the latest cat and no-one really cares. Just goes to show that most the experts on this board are simply fan-boys.

Here, here. I thought that the new features were actually pretty cool. Not as great as Tiger compared to Panther, but these features are still more innovative than Flip 3D or whatever they call it. I guess people just thought one of the top secret features was the second coming of Jesus. Most of the team's energy had to be dedicated to 64-bit, I'm sure.

Anyway, as per the actual point of the thread, I think the stock drop today was because of all the unexpected problems/deletions (Safari 3.0 bugs, ZFS R/O, lack of Boot Camp integration, no 64-bit Carbon support, etc.).

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
More likely tied to the rise in bond prices and general market unease with the rise in interest rates, mortgage, etc. I think the market is going to tumble for a while. Good time to buy if you have the nerve.

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
toe in the water

More likely tied to the rise in bond prices and general market unease with the rise in interest rates, mortgage, etc. I think the market is going to tumble for a while. Good time to buy if you have the nerve.

Buy on a falling, sell on a rising......

or is that the other way round :rolleyes:

Apple stock looks interesting right now, esp with the iPhone coming so quickly. It is just a toss up between

iPhone sells out on day one. Great media coverage
iPhone sells out on day one. Scratches and breaks on day two
The tumble weeds blow passed the apple store full of iPhones. Horrific media coverage.

I just wish that someone would actually tell us what they are like. How good are they ?

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Prior to WWDC, I was holding 500 shares of AAPL, with 300 shares purchased using my life savings, and 200 shares purchased on margin using borrowed funds.

Then WWDC happened and the stock dived right before WWDC keynote ended -- I panicked and sold all 500 shares at $119 plus that day.

Bought 275 shares of AAPL back a day or two later at $120 plus, and then it slided down to $117.

Still holding 275 shares of AAPL.

This sucks. But I think I will hold on to the 275 shares of AAPL because I think the dip is temporary.

I just wish Steve Jobs and Apple had announced something on par with iPhone for Leopard -- something amazing.

I guess I over-expected, and was disappointed as a result.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
I guess people just thought one of the top secret features was the second coming of Jesus.
QUOTE]

I thought the top secret feature of Leopard would be the ability to run Windows apps natively within OS X.

That feature alone would have trump all Leopard's announced features and send the stock price over $200.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Actually I meant today. The drop after WWDC keynote was expected, although I am so fed up with the "build it up, build it up" view of some of our fellow posters who then are "completely underwhelmed".

From experience it is always worth buying the shares about 2 weeks before a major event, then selling on the morning of the event.

Well, the iPhone announcement in January was the exception. If you have bought and sold before the iPhone announcement in January, you would have missed out big on the surge in AAPL stock price.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
I guess people just thought one of the top secret features was the second coming of Jesus.
QUOTE]

I thought the top secret feature of Leopard would be the ability to run Windows apps natively within OS X.

That feature alone would have trump all Leopard's announced features and send the stock price over $200.

What would be the point of OSX if you could run windows apps natively? :confused: Why not just buy and use Windows. Apple Inc. is a software company which selects the hardware the software runs on. That is why Apple Inc. has a small product mix of computer hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.