PDA

View Full Version : Transfering from powerbook to Macbook pro.

barnetda
Jun 14, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hi

I have just bought a new macbook pro and have a couple of questions which i would really appreciate some help with.

1.As i have limited tech ability i assume its best to just use the mac migrant assistant and connect the 2 macs and let the machine do it for me? Is that ok to do.

2. I am going to install parallels and Xp asi have some programmes that runs best under Xp.Do i install paralllels/xp before i do my mac transfer?

Many thanks.

thanks.

M@lew
Jun 14, 2007, 07:00 AM
I would get everything you want onto your Mac first, and then worry about installing Parallels.

Schroedinger
Jun 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
Migration assistant is pretty straightforward, go ahead and just use it. The only caveat is that as you're going from PPC to Intel, don't transfer applications. Reinstall them on your new machine. Otherwise you may get weird hiccups.

I would do the transfer first and then install Parallels. I don't really think it makes a difference, but my personal preference is to do any kind of migration on as factory fresh a machine as possible. I don't know if there is any logic to that, but that's what my intuition suggests.

barnetda
Jun 14, 2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys, appreciated.

I will do as you suggested. Reinstalling software is a pain because some i have on discs and some i downloaded directly from companys sites (e.g photoshop). I assume i can just go back to them and reinstall?

thanks

Schroedinger
Jun 14, 2007, 07:15 AM
You could try transferring the apps and seeing if you have any problems and then deal with that problem. I actually transferred from PPC to Intel and didn't have any problems, but then started reading about issues on this very forum. You might not have any problems either.

barnetda
Jun 14, 2007, 07:33 AM
Will do. I think i will try that first.

I will then take on the parallels task.

Many thanks.

diehldun
Jun 14, 2007, 11:12 PM
Is "Migration Assistant" built into Mac OS X already? Because I'm going to be getting a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing PowerBook G4, and was trying to think of ways to easily transfer music/photos/files across. I tried searching the MR forums, but couldn't find too much? Could someone please give me an overview of how Migration Assistant works? Thanks so much!

barnetda
Jun 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
I am going to use these instructions. I assume its still current.

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/rantsandraves/2005/20050303.shtml

ktbubster
Jun 15, 2007, 03:32 AM
Is "Migration Assistant" built into Mac OS X already? Because I'm going to be getting a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing PowerBook G4, and was trying to think of ways to easily transfer music/photos/files across. I tried searching the MR forums, but couldn't find too much? Could someone please give me an overview of how Migration Assistant works? Thanks so much!

1.You start up your new computer.

2.New computer asks you if you have a mac and if you want to transfer.

3.You get a firewire cable.

4.Connect the computers.

5.Do the full system transfer (or you can do partials i believe too) and walla. Old computer stuff on brand new computer in about 30 min to an hour.

6.Dance with joy as you realize your transfered stuff runs 0238420348230984 times faster and better on your new shiny computer.

I did it from my Tibook to my macbook pro a few months ago. It said it would take 2 hours... it took 30 min and I had no hiccups in my programs either.

I simply cleared out everything I wanted to from my macbook pro after the transfer, but I suppose you can clear out stuff from your powerbook before hand if you want.

Very easy.

barnetda
Jun 18, 2007, 08:42 PM
Just to let you guys know that I received my new MBP today. I transferred all of my stuff onto it from my powerbook via the migration assistant.
It went perfectly.

I loaded parallels and XP as i need to use windows for a couple of software packages. Very easy even for me.

The only application that doesnt work is Final Cut Express asit searches for the AGP graphic card. I will go into the apple store and see if i can upgrade FCE to the newer edition.

Many thanks for your help.

cheers

mganeles
Feb 2, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hello,
I have my computers firewired. Have transferred most everything except I can't figure out how to get the following transferred. I'm going from a G4 PowerBook running 10.3.9 (panther) to MacBook Pro running Leopard. So I know that the MBPro has updated versions of these applications, so I don't just want to drag the aps over...but I do want the following:

1. Contacts with the NOTES from my Address Book
2. Is it possible to bring over the mail (not just the accounts in my MAIL, but the actual emails in the different mailboxes and folders I have on my old computer?

BTW, my G4 is 6.5 years old and still running great. My husband bought me an iPod Classic which requires Tiger, and neither I nor three Geniuses at the Apple Genius Bar could not install Tiger on my computer. Something about my hard drive. Whatever, I kept getting disk errors. So I bought a hardly-used MBPro and WOW....this is an amazing machine.

Thanks for any help. Sincerely, mamaglee