PDA

View Full Version : Replacing HD in PowerBook G4

rogerthat
Jun 14, 2007, 02:32 PM
Got a "fatal error" message concerning my HD. Status: Failing
So I'm thinking about replacing it and while I'm at it upgrading. The one in ther now is 40 Gb. What's the biggest capacity I can replace it with and are there other considerations like speed that I can upgrade at same time?
I appreciate any help.

iPhil
Jun 14, 2007, 03:10 PM
Take a look @ this ('http://www.ifixit.com/) for the powerbook G4 hard drive upgrade process

rogerthat
Jun 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
iPhil,
clicked on the "this"...it looked active but nothing opened.

Cameront9
Jun 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
iPhil,
clicked on the "this"...it looked active but nothing opened.

www.ifixit.com is where he was going.

You can fit the largest drive that will physically fit, if you want, so long as it's the right kind of hard drive. Right now, I *think* that is 200GB...maybe 180.

rogerthat
Jun 15, 2007, 04:52 AM
I emailed support at ifixit.com and was told that any ATA HD's would work. If that's the case, I am looking at an 80Gb with 4200 RPM or an 80 with 7200 RPM. I have no idea what RPM means. The 7200 is $40 more. Is there $40 worth of difference in the higher RPM?

mad jew
Jun 15, 2007, 05:17 AM
Yep. The 7200RPM will be quite a bit faster. Are the drives you're looking at 2.5" notebook drives, or 3.5" desktop drives? Sorry if this question's a little rude, but I'm just making sure you get the smaller 2.5" drive because the 3.5" drive won't fit/work. :o

rogerthat
Jun 15, 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply, mj. I'm passing through TLV at the moment and the sun is setting, hence the greeting. The drives I mentioned are replacement candidates for my PowerBook G4. They are 2.5.
They are also "unformatted". Can I just hook up my external hd once I have it installed (hopefully) and it'll run OSX.
All help appreciated.

mad jew
Jun 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
Excellent. Well, you'll need to format them first using Disk Utility. Can you boot form the external drive? If so, you'll be able to format the internal drive from the external. However, you may as well install the new drive, boot form the OSX discs, format the drive and install OSX. It shouldn't take too long. :)