Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Archos just released their AppleTV-like device. I hate to say it but my first impression is that it is pretty cool. It can do some things that the AppleTV cannot, such as record TV, surf the interwebs, and wirelessly connect to their content store. I've never used Archos' stuff, and I don't plan on it, but I'm interested to see how Apple responds to this. Thoughts?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Meh...maybe it will push the AppleTV price down, but I'd never buy one, I have too much invested in the iTMS, plus I generally like Apple stuff

Still not a bad thing to have more devices like ATV on the market

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Archos have made Portable Video Players for ages, and they look pretty cool. They should therefore make a worthy Apple TV like device. I don't like the remote though, it looks awful.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Archos have made Portable Video Players for ages, and they look pretty cool. They should therefore make a worthy Apple TV like device. I don't like the remote though, it looks awful.

Agreed, there is quite a contrast between their remote and the simplicity of the Apple remote. And I imagine that this is true of the user interface as well (although I admit I have not seen how the UI looks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.