PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Q17

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know about the Mac compatibility of this display and if it's as good as it seems? Also any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mnkeybsness
Jul 6, 2003, 12:02 PM
can you provide a link?

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 12:09 PM
Here it is:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/lcd-12.html

scawt
Jul 6, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Veldek
Does anyone know about the Mac compatibility of this display and if it's as good as it seems? Also any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

i'd spend the extra money and go with one of the lcds with the 16ms response time. actually, samsung makes a decent 17" lcd with 16ms response time for something like $375-400.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCDMonitor/Monitor_LCDMonitor_172T.htm

acj
Jul 6, 2003, 03:28 PM
If you were to read the artical, the mentioned monitor got the best ratings, including response time. Specs aren't everything.

scawt
Jul 6, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by acj
If you were to read the artical, the mentioned monitor got the best ratings, including response time. Specs aren't everything.

neither is spelling, apparently.

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 03:39 PM
Boys, let's keep this on topic. He's right, they said that the displays with 16ms response actually acted like 32ms. So the Hyundai display was the clear winner. Now I'd really like to know if this one will work on a Mac. Anyone?

scawt
Jul 6, 2003, 03:42 PM
Boys, let's keep this on topic. He's right, they said that the displays with 16ms response actually acted like 32ms. So the Hyundai display was the clear winner. Now I'd really like to know if this one will work on a Mac. Anyone?

look on hyundai's site. i'm suprised it doesn't say in the article.

gopher
Jul 6, 2003, 03:46 PM
The DVI model definitely will if you have a PowerMac G3 or G4 or Powerbook G4 with ADC and/or DVI. DVI-ADC adapters are aplenty. It is when you get to trying to get DVI and VGA to work together you run into problems, though it isn't impossible. There are some more expensive adapters to do that for DVI machines to connect to the iMac, eMac and iBook. Only pre-DV iMacs and iBooks don't have VGA support. Powerbook G3s have VGA so those also fall into the same difficult to support category, and so do early Powerbook G4s. I believe DrBott makes adapters for all of these models.

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 03:46 PM
Well, I did, but the site is really bad and I can't find anything about displays. It's about cars or it's Korean. Could you provide a link?

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by gopher
The DVI model definitely will if you have a PowerMac G3 or G4 or Powerbook G4 with ADC and/or DVI. DVI-ADC adapters are aplenty. It is when you get to trying to get DVI and VGA to work together you run into problems, though it isn't impossible. There are some more expensive adapters to do that for DVI machines to connect to the iMac, eMac and iBook. Only pre-DV iMacs and iBooks don't have VGA support. Powerbook G3s have VGA so those also fall into the same difficult to support category, and so do early Powerbook G4s. I believe DrBott makes adapters for all of these models.

Well, it's for the G5 I bought with a Radeon 9800. I believe the card has a DVI and ADC out, so I could use the DVI out, right?

gopher
Jul 6, 2003, 03:59 PM
Well, it's for the G5 I bought with a Radeon 9800. I believe the card has a DVI and ADC out, so I could use the DVI out, right?

Yes.

is where I read that it had DVI connectivity, and that link was provided earlier in the thread.

Veldek
Jul 6, 2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Yes.

is where I read that it had DVI connectivity, and that link was provided earlier in the thread.

Yeah, i know cause i'm the one who provided it ;)
But I read in another thread that there are displays that aren't working on a Mac though connectivity is given.

gopher
Jul 6, 2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, i know cause i'm the one who provided it ;)
But I read in another thread that there are displays that aren't working on a Mac though connectivity is given.

It is possible the USB connection isn't there. But I doubt the DVI connection wouldn't work. I guess the only way to find out is if the place you are buying it from has a return policy and lets you test the display.

zarathustra
Jul 6, 2003, 04:25 PM

That is hard to believe. If a Mac lists DVI (or VGA for that matter) connectivity, than it will be compatible with DVI (or VGA) monitors.

On more than one occasion I had a VGA monitor that would act weird when connected to a PC, but as soon as I plugged it into any of my Macs, they worked fine. Go figure... :confused:

I think you'll be fine buying any DVI monitor.