PDA

View Full Version : Faint horizontal lines on iMac g3

Luigi239
Jun 14, 2007, 09:46 PM
On my screen when looking at whites or light blues, I seem to notice these faint horizontal lines only on certain places on my screen. For example, on the posting page, the light blue has very lite horizontal white marks on it, only in certain places. (I tried smacking it...(not to hard...I couldn't have damaged it right?) as that seems to fix issues on CRT monitors, but no luck.

Is the display ok? The lines don't bother me, I just don't want my machine to crap out on me in a month.

teleromeo
Jun 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
I guess that is one of the latest models iMac G3 that were produced. I bought one of these and had the same complaint. Apple repair replaced that monitor only a couple of weeks after I bought it. If yours was made somewhere in 2001 I don't think you have to worry, apple used a lot of these bad monitors.

Luigi239
Jun 14, 2007, 09:59 PM
I guess that is one of the latest models iMac G3 that were produced. I bought one of these and had the same complaint. Apple repair replaced that monitor only a couple of weeks after I bought it. If yours was made somewhere in 2001 I don't think you have to worry, apple used a lot of these bad monitors.

No, I know that mine was made in 1999 because it is tray loading. Thanks for the reply though. :)

rainydays
Jun 14, 2007, 10:28 PM
No, I know that mine was made in 1999 because it is tray loading. Thanks for the reply though. :)

You should be happy that it's working at all. The longest lasting CRT I've had was a 19" Nokia, bought it in early 1999, died late 2005.

brop52
Jun 20, 2007, 01:37 AM
I have a slot loading iMac CRT. Still working but I do have the same lines. I think it's only started in the last few months. Maybe death of CRT will come soon? I'm getting a new iMac soon anyway.

CBAviator
Jun 20, 2007, 07:27 AM
On my screen when looking at whites or light blues, I seem to notice these faint horizontal lines only on certain places on my screen. For example, on the posting page, the light blue has very lite horizontal white marks on it, only in certain places. (I tried smacking it...(not to hard...I couldn't have damaged it right?) as that seems to fix issues on CRT monitors, but no luck.

Is the display ok? The lines don't bother me, I just don't want my machine to crap out on me in a month.

I know VERY LITTLE about how monitors are produced, but I used to own a Gateway computer that had that very same thing (although it was new). Gateway replaced it and after digging deeper, I found that the faint lines have something to do with little refresh wires or something of that nature that sat behind the glass. I can't quite remember what it was, but they were supposed to be there and could be seen only in certain lighting conditions. Just a thought.